Quantcast

WTF is wrong with people????

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
OK, so as some of you know I recently broke my leg/ankle and I have been laid up for a while. It's the holiday season and anywhere there's shopping there's always a full parking lot. I was given a temporary handicap license plack until I recover. I have to use crutches and can only walk short distances before my under arms hurt like hell.

So why is it people who are not handicapped think it's ok to park in the handicap spaces since they're "just going to to be gone for a minute"?...In the last week alone, we have had to park really far away just to go to the local movie theatre that happens to be in a shopping mall.

I ususally don't get angry easily but these people should all be broken in some way so they know what it feels like. Either that or the fine should be $500 and you can't talk it down in court. Oh and if you're one of those people I hope you break your kneecap...ok I feel better now thanks for your time...D

J

JRB

People are inconsiderate and sh*tty. Once you accept this, it becomes a little (and I do mean a little) less painful.

J

JRB

stubby said:
a men. but i think those moms to be spots are rediculous.
I thought that, but seeing my pregnant wife, I would invite you to be 8 months pregnant and walk all over hell and back.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
BMXman said:
OK, so as some of you know I recently broke my leg/ankle and I have been laid up for a while. It's the holiday season and anywhere there's shopping there's always a full parking lot. I was given a temporary handicap license plack until I recover. I have to use crutches and can only walk short distances before my under arms hurt like hell.

So why is it people who are not handicapped think it's ok to park in the handicap spaces since they're "just going to to be gone for a minute"?...In the last week alone, we have had to park really far away just to go to the local movie theatre that happens to be in a shopping mall.

I ususally don't get angry easily but these people should all be broken in some way so they know what it feels like. Either that or the fine should be $500 and you can't talk it down in court. Oh and if you're one of those people I hope you break your kneecap...ok I feel better know thanks for your time...D
I'd call the cops or security. Not only is it illegal to park in those spots w/o a permit, but it's just straight up f***ed up. Screw karma, they did it to themselves.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
loco said:
People are inconsiderate and sh*tty. Once you accept this, it becomes a little (and I do mean a little) less painful.
True but to me there are some lines you just don't cross...to me (even before I was disabled) parking in a HC space was one of them...D

J

JRB

BMXman said:
True but to me there are some lines you just don't cross...to me (even before I was disabled) parking in a HC space was one of them...D
I agree and often chastize people at 7-11 for doing so. I am loud and obnoxious about it, because I think they are obnoxious and deserve it. It is extremely bold. :mumble:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
loco said:
I thought that, but seeing my pregnant wife, I would invite you to be 8 months pregnant and walk all over hell and back.

I have never seen mom to be spots...that's pretty thoughtful...D

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Jutst a tip... to keep your underarms from herting so mutch wrap a towel or something around each crutch and duct tape it on. I have seen people do this and if you havn't already done it then it might help, as long as it isnt in the way cause that could cause more fatigue.

BMXman said:
i fully agree, and you understand it even more once you have been on crutches (done it twice). i actually never gone a handicap placard...then agian both times was before i was 18, but still. and in the winter in bend oregon, crutches in the snow sucks

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
Yeah WTF is wrong with people? People keep spending all this money on sh** they don't need, and our military is spending big bucks on killing people for oil, and we keep driving our SUV's while the world keeps getting hotter and hotter, and 1% of our US military budget could cure famine in the third world, and our government boycott's the only conference that's trying to bring together all the countries on this planet to try and slow down climate change. Talk about Karma, we probably deserved Hurricaine Katrina and all the other disasters mother nature's got planned for us and our handicapped, pregnant SUV's.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
SD_TMTB said:
Jutst a tip... to keep your underarms from herting so mutch wrap a towel or something around each crutch and duct tape it on. I have seen people do this and if you havn't already done it then it might help, as long as it isnt in the way cause that could cause more fatigue.

hmm that's a good idea...but I only hope to need them for another 2 weeks and I don't leave the house that often..maybe I'll give it a shot anyway...right now I'm the master of hoping around on one foot :D

SD_TMTB said:
the one thing i found was to make the crutches sit so at locked arms you are off the ground an inch or two, but the armpit thing isnt in your armpits, about an inch below, that way when you swing you arent resting on them, found it much more comfortable

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Of all the obnoxious things I have done behind a wheel, I have never parked in a handicapped spot.

I remember last time I had to pick up a friend who was coming back from stroke surgery, I used his truck with a handicap tag. At the airport some jerkoff parked in the handicapped pickup spot, and I layed into the horn when my friend made an appearance, hobbling along with his cane.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
the ones that get me are clearly NOT handicapped, but using the tag from a family member or something and use the spot anyways.

around here its a certain demographic that i see doing it more often than not but i wont go there...

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
BMXman said:
...right now I'm the master of hoping around on one foot :D
yea I hear ya on that one. when I got 18 staples down the front of my shin I had to use a cane due to some muscle damage, also not to long ago when I screwed up a couple of toes I had to hop around if I wanted to get anywhere fast.......

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
buildyourown said:
I was on crutches for 5 months when I was in High School.
It'll give you guns.
Have you learned how to "run" on crutches yet?
well I'm mostly in the house so no real chance at running...my place is good sized but not that big..plus I run the chance of running over a cat :D...D

buildyourown said:
I was on crutches for 5 months when I was in High School.
It'll give you guns.
Have you learned how to "run" on crutches yet?
you mean the swing/skip/hop thing? always fun. best thing about crutches, is when soemoen pisses you off, it is super easy to whack them in the shin, they usually shut up real quick, or try and grab the crutch....so you hit them with the other one

Jan 29, 2005
ridetoofast said:
the ones that get me are clearly NOT handicapped, but using the tag from a family member or something and use the spot anyways.

around here its a certain demographic that i see doing it more often than not but i wont go there...
That definately pisses me off to, but be careful with that one, My drivers ed teacher told us a story of his high school friend who got part of his foot chopped off, and has a prosthetic in his shoe, he is handicapped, but people can't instantly notice it, so he gets irate people telling him to get the hell out of the space. It must be really terrible to have to take off you shoe and show whoever your fake foot to prove a point.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
dropsdon'tlikem said:
That definately pisses me off to, but be careful with that one, My drivers ed teacher told us a story of his high school friend who got part of his foot chopped off, and has a prosthetic in his shoe, he is handicapped, but people can't instantly notice it, so he gets irate people telling him to get the hell out of the space. It must be really terrible to have to take off you shoe and show whoever your fake foot to prove a point.
yeah I had a co-worker with the same deal..prosthetic arm but he always wore gloves and long sleeves so you wouldn't know unless you shook his hand or knew him. Every now and then we would get stopped by parking enforcement and he'd have to show them...D

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Wankers! :mad:
If there is no handicaped sticker in/on the car double park behind them and block them in. :mad:

Once upon a time years ago when I was an agro lil SOB I once saw this teenage girl park in a handicaped space .... I let her get 12ft from her car then bellowed as the top of my voice....

OI!! YOU!!

WHAT ARE YOU MENTALY HANDICAPED YOU FVCKIN TARD!!
SHIFT YOUR FVCKIN CAR....NOW!!!

She moved it :)
I think the "skin head mongrel" look I had going at the time helped convince her to move quickly. :D :thumb:

But I'm a much nicer guy these days. :o:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Oh man did you ever hit a sore spot with me. I hate people who park in the crippled spots who aren't crippled.

I used to work as a live in aid to a quad. We were (are) also very great friends. As part of my duties I drove him everywhere. And since he is in a chair we need the big spaces for the wheelchair lift and all that. Man, I can't tell you how many times we would find non-disabled people in the disabled spots. So what did we do? We parked the big black van that he owned right behind them so they couldn't leave and we would call the cops. Inevitably the dumbass would come out of the store and get furious at us for calling the cops and making sure he couldn't leave. There were a few times I narrowly avoided a scuffle with these jerks.

Eventually the cop would come and give them the big ticket that cannot be reduced, they would end up very late for wherever they were going (so much for saving time by parking in the blue spot), and they look like idiots in front of everyone because by the time the cops get there a crowd would usually gather.

Now I don't know what it's like to be disabled (and I hope I NEVER do!) but I think that I can empathize pretty well because of my experience, and I can say that you have to be an ultimate dumbass jerk to take a crippled spot and make a wheelchair persons (especially a quad!!!) day even more difficult then it is on a daily basis. Those spots are there for a reason, and it isn't sympathy. I only wish those jerks would have been forced to live 24 hours in a wheelchair so they could see what it's like. It is not easy.

These days I don't block them in to call the cops because you never know who will pull a gun on you, but I still call the cops if the situation arises. (It's easier with a guy in a wheelchair with you... no one want's to beat up a guy in a wheelchair.)

Sorry about the rant, but I hate those people.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Like a couple other people have mentioned, I've been inconsiderate/abusive/done illegal stuff behind the wheel, but I never, ever park in handicapped spaces.

I think it's appalling that people do that - it really says a lot about the person. Shows that they're not only inconsiderate and thoughtless, but also that they are inexcusably lazy.

As a funny aside, my grandmother turns 95 in January and is still completely independant - drives everywhere by herself etc. (she's actually very considerate - if she's going slow and sees she's holding people up, she pulls over and lets them pass) - and her doctor JUST convinced her to take a handicapped tag so she could park in the handicapped spaces. He's been trying to get her to take one for years.

You know where it sits? In her glovebox, and she parks in the regular parking spaces like everyone else :D

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
I used to work at a lowes and saw it way too often in the parking lot. I helped a lady in a wheelchair with no legs bring some large items out to her car and she commented on another woman parking in handicapped spot who seemed to be just fine. It really got this handicapped lady going and i agreed whole heartedly.

One thing at a store like lowes though...if you arent using one of the electric scooters for people who need them its kind of ironic to park in a handicapped spot. The store is huge and you are going to walk greater distances inside the store anyways.
Not to mention the people that would use the scooters who didnt need them, had 2 guys come in frequently and use them. I guess its their dignity though...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
ridetoofast said:

word. I have a sis in law who's had several strokes, is in a wheel chair. Her ex uses her spare blue tag all the time to park his big ass suv at sports events. What's really sad is that this jerk is teaching their kid that it's ok to do this sort of thing.

the karma will get you in the end.
gg

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
This also annoys me BIG TIME!! Although I can never fully understand what it's like to be physically disabled permenantly, I can relate a little bit.

When I had my accident, I was in a full arm cast for almost 6 months. At that same time, I also had to use a cane for about a month of that because of a very big bone harvest from my pelvis, and my other hand was fractured but just in a removable brace type thing. My full arm cast was the same type of cast that a lot of advanced cerebral palsy patients have to wear. So, for six months I had this big thing on my arm and had a really bad limp, and looked very handicapped.

It gave me a way different perspective on what it must be like to be physically disabled and how those people are percieved and treated by our society.

The worst place was the grocery store. It would definetely take me a little longer to operate the debit machine, bag my groceries and get stuff loaded up into my cart. I can't tell you on how many occasions people in line behind me would be openly rude, talk about how long I was taking intentionally loud enough for me to hear, tap toes and sigh really big. And to top it off, in almost six months of being in this condition, I never once had a checker offer to have any one help me.

It's the same situation with people who park in, abuse, or impeed disabled parking spaces. They just don't care, and don't respect that some people on this planet need a little extra help now and then.

I have such respect for people who live with disabilities after being in that situation.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
budgetrider said:
Yeah WTF is wrong with people? People keep spending all this money on sh** they don't need, and our military is spending big bucks on killing people for oil, and we keep driving our SUV's while the world keeps getting hotter and hotter, and 1% of our US military budget could cure famine in the third world, and our government boycott's the only conference that's trying to bring together all the countries on this planet to try and slow down climate change. Talk about Karma, we probably deserved Hurricaine Katrina and all the other disasters mother nature's got planned for us and our handicapped, pregnant SUV's.
Sorry but this thread is about assholes who park in handicapt spots illegally not about your hippie liberal bullsh1t

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Handicapped people need the exercise, these people are doing them a favor....:monkey: :oink:

Seriously though, when i was struggling around on crutches, it really gave me more sensitivity to the struggle that some people have to endure.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
My Grandfather used to use the handicap parking sticker my grandmother had, even when she was not there. Now, granted my grandfather was pushing 80 and his knees werent that great, its still messed up. One day he took me out to lunch, and he parked in a handicap space. I was around 11 or 12 and I looked at him and asked him why he was parking there and what happens when someone that really needs the space comes over? He moved the car, and never parked in one of those spaces again :thumb:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I know what you mean. I was walking into the mall yesterday, and noticed that there was a lady, who was parked in a handicapped spot, loading a ton of packages and bags in to her BMW. Other than being fat, she didn't looked phycially challenged to me, but she did have a handicapped placard hanging from her mirror.

While I'm sure that a certain number of people use family member's cards, it seems that these placards are pretty easy to get. To be honest, 90% of the people I see using handicapped spots are just fat--that's all! Since when is being fat and lazy a disability? It seems to me those are the folks who should be walking...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My ex-wife is disabled and I know what you mean. I used the tag ONLY when she was with me and never as an excuse. But it pissed me off when people do it big time.

Every time I go to Blockbuster, there is at least one person who parks in the "blue" spot to drop videos or whatnot in the return slot, or just "run in to grab something". I guess it goes along with the thread about people fighting for the closest parking space at the gym. The 24 hour fitness by my old house has a valet, but that's a whole other rant...

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Where I work, there's a Gym/health centre where a lot of people come to revalidate.
When I'm outside and someone parks his/her car on the handicapped spot, I always ask them friendly to move their car, because it happens everyday that someone with crutches or a wheelchair has to park on the regular parking because their space is taken by some yuppie-mobile (BMW's, Mercedes', SUV's, Jag's,....)
...and the worst thing is 90% of those yuppies pretend that they don't hear us, they just ignore us.....so recently we start screaming louder and louder until they react....with the excuse "It's only for a minute" .........every time the same excuse.

Last month the Gym management told us that 'those people' are their 'best' customers and they don't want us to yell at them, because 'they' where offended by what we said/asked :mumble:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
valve bouncer said:
I sometimes use the handicapped toilet. Where does the choir stand on that?

HAHAHA.... :stupid: But the handicap stall is so nice and roomy.

Anyway, good handicap redemption story here....

10 or so years ago (before I knew him), by father in law (Joel) suffered a horrific skiing accident that nearly killed him. He had to "walk" (more like shuffle) with the assist of a walker for a while. One day he went to the post office to find some healthy prick had just parked in a handicap spot. Joel asked him to move his vehicle so he could park there. Healthy Prick said no, that he'd just be a minute. So, Joel threw his car into park, blocking the guy in, then proceeded to get out of his car, grab his walker, and slowly work his way into the post office. Healthy Prick watched in frustrated disbelief. 30 minutes later, Joel shuffled back to his car, reached into his glove compartment, and proceeded to write Healthy Prick a ticket for parking there. Oh, did I mention Joel was a cop at the time? :)

I have a special hatred toward these scumbags, as my sister is confined to a wheelchair.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I Are Baboon said:
HAHAHA.... :stupid: But the handicap stall is so nice and roomy.

Anyway, good handicap redemption story here....

10 or so years ago (before I knew him), by father in law (Joel) suffered a horrific skiing accident that nearly killed him. He had to "walk" (more like shuffle) with the assist of a walker for a while. One day he went to the post office to find some healthy prick had just parked in a handicap spot. Joel asked him to move his vehicle so he could park there. Healthy Prick said no, that he'd just be a minute. So, Joel threw his car into park, blocking the guy in, then proceeded to get out of his car, grab his walker, and slowly work his way into the post office. Healthy Prick watched in frustrated disbelief. 30 minutes later, Joel shuffled back to his car, reached into his glove compartment, and proceeded to write Healthy Prick a ticket for parking there. Oh, did I mention Joel was a cop at the time? :)

I have a special hatred toward these scumbags, as my sister is confined to a wheelchair.

That is just fantastic.