Quantcast

WTF!!!!! Lighting a BBQ.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I don't like gas grills and I use one of those charcoal starters where you use newspaper (I hate lighter fluid taste) But every F'n time I light a match the wind kicks in. While I'm getting everything ready to go there is no wind, as soon as I get the match to light....................Boom out of nowhere WIND and then 3-5 matches later I finally get it started.:angry:

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Originally posted by splat
Wrong wrong wrong !

Just use LOX , the grill is ready in 3 seconds!

http://homepage.gallaudet.edu/Derek.Braun/interests/internet_spam_bank/george_goble.html

The oinly problem is the grill get vaporized in the process.
What follows is the most impressive charcoal-lighting I have ever seen, featuring a large fireball that, according to Goble, reached 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit. The charcoal was ready for cooking in - this has to be a world record - 3 seconds. There's also a photo of what happened when Goble used the same technique on a flimsy $2.88 discount-store bought grill. All that's left is a circle of charcoal with a few shreds of metal in it. "Basically, the grill vaporized," said Goble. "We were thinking of returning it to the store for a refund."
Freaking awesome. :eek:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by Zaskar Rider
I think you missed the part where he said he hates the lighter fluid taste.
i was being stupid.

though, i can't say i've ever noticed "lighter fluid taste." i have noticed that gas grills don't taste as good, in my opinion.

i threw gasoline on the fire and now have stumps for arms and no eyebrows.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Collect trashed fork lowers from your friends and use the magnesium to start fires. Mag burns at a few thousand degrees, just don't try to put a magnesium fire out with water, it will pull the oxygen out releasing an explosive hydrogen cloud.

D

Dingus McGee

I like straight-up wood charcoal....especially wood found around campsites near Downieville...that's fine-tastin meat there.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I don't like gas grills...
Right on. They are scary. Not a huge gas fan myself. If they don't light correctly, you're supposed to wait a couple minutes to let the air clear, but who does? Once my roommate and I didn't let the air clear for long enough... little did we know that even if you're outside, the gas hangs around in a big pocket. So, yeah, I threw a match at the grill and whoosh!!!!! there was a huge fireball where we both had been standing. (We both jumped backwards like five feet but still got a little toasted.)

Stick with the charcoal. Try an electric starter... you know, that coil-thing that you plug in and then insert into the coals until it's red hot. Works like a charm!

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I love my propane grill. Sometimes twice a day. :o:

Self-lighting, came with a cast iron box for wood chips, preheats to 500 degrees in 3 minutes. Tastes about as good as wood charcoal when you use wood chips, but the heat is so much more even that cooking times for everything are uniform, no need to juggle meat around from hot side to cool side. Also, dripping fats get channeled off instead of burning and depositing carcinogens on the food, so it's much healthier.

I used wood charcoal for years, now I wish I had made the switch a long time ago. I still use my charcoal grill for smoking salmon though.

A tank of propane ends up lot cheaper than natural wood charcoal as well. I pity the fool that uses briquettes! Yuck!

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
You need some dry firewood.. Prefably birch or pine or something..

Build a fire.. Light it... Wait 'til you have the mother of all grillbeds..

Put on your food..

COOK IT!

Eat..

Or you could use coal.. THere is electrical lighters that you just plug in and put in the coal.

Or there is gel and lighter fluid.. If you let the fluid soak in and then light it.. THen it's supposed to finish burning and then when it's burning slow wo any flames THEN you put on the meat..

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Dude, I BBQ almost every day throughout the year, I know what I like.

people will like what I tell them to like when you tell me what I like. :D

so let me get this strait, you BBQ everyday(almost) but you don't know how to light it in the wind?

:confused:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
You need a Webber Perfomer (I think thats the model). Burns charcoal but has a propane starter. You nuke the coals for a few minutes, then turn off the gas. I think they are ~$350.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by pnj
people will like what I tell them to like when you tell me what I like. :D

so let me get this strait, you BBQ everyday(almost) but you don't know how to light it in the wind?

:confused:
Believe me I do, but its still frustrating. My whole point of this topic is....Why does the wind ONLY kick up when I'm lighting a match, not when I'm getting it ready?

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
Believe me I do, but its still frustrating. My whole point of this topic is....Why does the wind ONLY kick up when I'm lighting a match, not when I'm getting it ready?
the bbq gods hate you dude !

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I cleaned out the pit in my backyard yesterday. there was about 50 pounds of composting crap in there.

after a good cleaning I lubed it up w/ some pork ribs and corn.

seems to work just fine. :)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I used a wire wheel to clean up the grilling surface and all other metal in the pit.