Quantcast

WTF, Mr. Officer?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just watched a uniformed cop jump out of his patrol car run across two lanes of traffic and lay out a cyclist who had stopped at the center divide and was looking at him confused. Guy was in his full roadie gear, including his neon green safety jacket. He had one foot clipped out and was fully stopped. There was a dude on a motorcycle stopped between the cop car and the cyclist looking just as confused as the guy getting laid out.

I saw it driving past on C470, so I didn't see what instigated it, but what can a cyclist in full roadie gear do such that a cop runs across the street and lays him out? Especially when fully stopped?! I had a good 15sec view though and it did not seem like there was any warming before he took him out (still partially clipped in).

J will be watching the news on this one though, because where he was riding to only takes you to a few very, very nice and high dollar neighborhoods.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Its also possible its someone the local police were looking for with a warrant, and is known for violent confrontations.......

Just throwing that out there... would be interesting to know the whole story

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
...or maybe the dude had warrants and just ran from another cop....or maybe he just shoplifted that bright jacket....or....or........ i'm sure that passers by have assumed similar things when I have had to take down people who were seemingly confused as to why i was charging at them like a bull. they probably posted something to facebook like, "holy hell...some cop just bulldozed this guy who was standing on the street corner for no reason!" when in actuality i tackled the guy because he assaulted a lady and the first cop on scene before running away so when i had my chance to surprise him i took it.
the cop you saw may have just snapped and realized that most people who wear lycra are uptight d-bags but there's probably a lot more to it than what you saw.

and would it make a difference if the guy was heading into the hood instead of the nice part of town? or is it surprising that cops would use such "hostile" tactics on rich whitey?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Maybe the cop was looking for a date with some rough trade?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sorry Manimal, don't buy it. The guy was crossing the road on the green, the cop (who was parked on the side the whole time) flipped the lights, then ran over and laid the dude out. The physically visible confusion and his being stationary made it quite clear that he had no idea what was going on.

I note the nice neighborhood, because those are the folks who have enough money to make a mistake very painful to both the dept and officer.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
yeah, you're right...it's much more likely that the cop just randomly tackled a cyclist without reason. :rolleyes: maybe he saw the bike and immediately thought "hipster" which then turned to OWS which then made him grab for his MK-9 canister of OC but, realizing he only carries the smaller MK-4 canister of OC, he decided to do a preemptive tackle of the future protester.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sorry Manimal, don't buy it. The guy was crossing the road on the green, the cop (who was parked on the side the whole time) flipped the lights, then ran over and laid the dude out. The physically visible confusion and his being stationary made it quite clear that he had no idea what was going on.

I note the nice neighborhood, because those are the folks who have enough money to make a mistake very painful to both the dept and officer.
I was never a street cop, but pretty much everyone I ever arrested was dumbfounded when I did it. Just because he doesn't know what's going on doesn't mean there can't be a warrant or something. What happened in this guy's case, though, none of us has a clue. Cop could easily been way outside bounds, or totally within them. Maybe try the news? Police blotter? YouTube?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
I was never a street cop, but pretty much everyone I ever arrested was dumbfounded when I did it.
Acting confused about being arrested is usually the first defense mechanism of most people I have arrested (at least those who weren't actively fleeing). The usual "who..me?...what did I do" response can be rather comical when contrasted by the physiological response once they know they're illegal actions weren't unnoticed. ;)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, or if you're arresting a dude without warning for identity theft who's been living in an assumed identity for 25 years and you get him while he's moseying from his apartment to his work truck at 0630 after he spent a half-hour hot-boxing a massive amount of pot with his wife in the shower prior to work, he does tend to be genuinely confused. Especially when the dude arresting him hops out of a single-cab Ford Ranger wearing hipster Oakleys with clear lenses, work clothes, and a thigh rig.

Or when you roll in to a Safeway at 0530 and arrest the Employee of the Month for using someone else's Social Security number, and he's assumed you're a team from Corporate come to give him his award, he does at least look confused.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco

Meanwhile in Arizona

"According to David Chadd, the man on the floor put two games under his shirt to free up his hands to assist his grandson who was knocked down and hurt in the rush for video games at a local Wal-Mart in Buckeye, Arizona. A cop who was nearby saw the man and immediately assumed the man was shoplifting. The 54-year-old man, Jerald Newman, was cooperating with the cop who put him in handcuffs and not resisting. Chadd says the cop suddenly tripped Newman and bashed his head nose first into the ground knocking him out and there is blood everywhere."

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Soooo...any news on the rogue, roadie-beating cop? Or can we just agree that maybe, just maybe, you caught a cop doing his job and your negative assumption was wrong?

Last edited:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
High class neighborhood...

Criminal mischief. On Nov. 7, a Douglas County Sheriff&#8217;s deputy responded to a report of criminal mischief on the 1000 block of West English Sparrow Trail, Highlands Ranch. A man who owns a painting business parked his work truck with ladders stacked on top of it in the driveway. The HOA requires ladders to be removed every night. The words &#8220;No ladder&#8221; had been written on their lawn, which caused the grass underneath it to turn brown.
Party time. On Nov. 7, a Lone Tree Police officer responded to a report of a suspicious occurrence on the 10000 block of Oak Tree Court. A couple said their son had left the garage door open over the weekend. When they got back, they found items out of place, dirty footprints and leaves on the floor. The neighbors said there had been a party at the house.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Haha...you got me. ....and I'm not the "Police" anymore ;)
Unless you're Mexican.
By the way, are you up and running down there yet? I could really use a visit from La Migra right now in my neighborhood.