Quantcast

wtf? rent?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Saw the actual musical in New York when I went to go visit my sister. I'm not one for musicals or anything really all that "artistic". But to be honest, being my first musical/live drama thing, I thought it was pretty damn impressive. Definitely would go watch it again if I was in New York. It was so successful as a musical, according to my sister that it was sold out EVERY night for a couple of years. The night we went to watch it was backs in like 96 or 97 and it had been out for a few years...sold out standing ovation. I actually went out and bought the soundtrack.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I've seen it live twice and liked it...not sure if I will like the movie or not as I am generally not a fan of musicals made into movies.

Rent is a modern day version of Puccini's Opera La Boheme. It's about a group of struggling bohemians living in NYC's East Village. They are basically starving artists that are struggling to make their rent payments, measure the value of their lives in love and want acceptance and fame while they deal with poverty, illness and the AIDS epidemic. It's actually quite a good story...and won a Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1996, among other awards.

The Author/composer, Jonathon Larson, did die the night before the musical opened off-broadway of an aortic aneurysm (he was 35, I think)...not sure if he had AIDS though.

Site for the Broadway Musical: http://www.siteforrent.com/intro.html
Sony Movie Site: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/rent/

Yes, I am a musician, music teacher and overall music geek...but even my husband (who is none of those things) liked the show when we saw it last fall!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
kinghami3 said:
them's fighting words!

I think it's about AIDS(?) I really have no idea though.
as they say in team america, everyone has aids! aids! aids! aids! i think ill have to pass.