Quantcast

WTF! Trying to buy stuff on the Monkey.

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
Sometimes trying to buy something is frustrating.

-Someone posts something I want.
-I contact them.
-the deal is worked out, both parties agree.
-Then they respond, "oh hey, just got some more offers, can you give me some time to go through them?" or "I told my buddy I was selling it, and they told me I can get, like, $40 dollars more for it."

I've had 4 or 5 people over the course of my trading history on the monkey pull this. I also have been in the seller spot and have had someone offer me my asking price after I just minutes before agee with someone else at a lower price. I shipped it off to the person I agreed to sell at the lower price.

I know, a small nuisance :nopity: .

At least I've never been ripped off here.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
they want to catch you then reel you in like a sucker, there usually BSing it.

yeah, have had good luck here as well, i dont buy from people with 5 posts or anything though.

pinkbike is, well, pinkbike.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
We are going to have a premium market place next year (in addition to the free one) and hopefully I will be able to weed out the idiots in that section.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
weed out the idiots lol
uhmmmmmm i cant say as though i have ever had a problem

if i am concerned i just start a thread to find out if anyone knows the person and also to let the person know that im gonna do em right before the deal is finalized

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Ridemonkey said:
We are going to have a premium market place next year (in addition to the free one) and hopefully I will be able to weed out the idiots in that section.
Kewl. You must have an entire laundry list of things to change/add next year don't you? You got anything else good?

Btw, I like the new sig. I wish I could be create 'n stuff like everybody else, but no.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
DHS said:
saweeeet
does that mean i can sell hats there too?
Hmm yeah that's a good idea. I better put this statement out there now though - DHS has special permission to sell RM branded hats for a limited time. I can't allow people to create and sell RM stuff without prior arrangements.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Ridemonkey said:
Hmm yeah that's a good idea. I better put this statement out there now though - DHS has special permission to sell RM branded hats for a limited time. I can't allow people to create and sell RM stuff without prior arrangements.

i thought i remember somebody doing shirts a while back...is the new monkey gonna also sell Ridemonkey gear? or are these types of project simply going to be a case to case basis when/if somebody comes up with an idea for something?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I hate selling stuff used, but RM does tend to be better than the other forums.... When i was selling my scream it took me weeks to finally get a serious party.... so many endless leads. MTBR i hear is better and more succesful, and is fairly cheap. Ebay always wins though if after a while you cant sell it on the forums... it just costs so much more.

I am curious though how a premium system will keep the idiots out. Will you have to be a member just to get in to browse?

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah I did shirts. I hope to do some more next year. Someone did stickers for me once too. Eventually I will have more stuff to sell but it takes time and $$ that I don't have right now so occasionaly I allow members to make the stuff.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
oly said:
I hate selling stuff used, but RM does tend to be better than the other forums.... When i was selling my scream it took me weeks to finally get a serious party.... so many endless leads. MTBR i hear is better and more succesful, and is fairly cheap. Ebay always wins though if after a while you cant sell it on the forums... it just costs so much more.

I am curious though how a premium system will keep the idiots out. Will you have to be a member just to get in to browse?
Idiot-sellers will be weeded out because not everyone can get a premium account. Sellers will have the opportunity to weed out idiot-buyers by enabling the "buy now" button so that buyers pay immediately via Paypal and there is no saying you are going to buy it then backing out later.

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
Perhaps I should point out first of all that I was the one that sparked this post by Evel Monkey. I think in our situation it was just a misunderstanding between us.

I've sold and bought alot of stuff online over the past 3 or 4 years. Of late I've had many problems. I've gotten screwed over on high price items because people just blatently lied about the condition of the item. Selling is where I have really had the problem lately. In general, I've come to expect that the buyer will back out at the last minute for no reason, and its always after I've already turned people down because the item is 'sold'. The problem is that its just way too easy to back out of a deal on the internet. Maybe its different here, but with buying and selling on some paintball forums, I learned quickly not to trust anyone. In any case, my point is that selling can be just as frustrating as buying can be.

In retrospect, I should have been more direct in stating my intentions to Evel Monkey, and from now on I will be sure to.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i think this will be awesome, hope it happens. So youd need a pay pal account for it to work? stay clear from western union

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
stoney98 said:
Seriously, we should get a "petition" that if you have over 1000 posts you should send RM $5 on paypal. I'd do it in a heart beat. RM pm me your paypal addy. We all get more amusement an info from RM.com that it should be worth it for us to at least help.
I appreciate that. I hope to be able to give something back for the $$ though. I think in Q1 2005 we will have premium yearly memberships that will remove all banners for premium members, and allow use of the premium market features.

Anyone who wants to contribute can purchase a premium membership or a Tshirt next year when they are available.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Ridemonkey said:
I appreciate that. I hope to be able to give something back for the $$ though. I think in Q1 2005 we will have premium yearly memberships that will remove all banners for premium members, and allow use of the premium market features.

Anyone who wants to contribute can purchase a premium membership or a Tshirt next year when they are available.
That's awesome. I'd definitely chip in a bit and go for a Premium Account.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Originally Posted by Ridemonkey

Good ideas. I would probably spring to remove the banners. T-shirt idea sounds good too. How about some RM baggies? A whole line of RM gear! :cool: :sneaky:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea i'll spring the $5 or say an extra hat?
i was doing the hat thing cause,
1. i now am a pro Embroider guy(yea i know, random)
2. i pretty much spend all my time at work on this forum
3. um why not?

um the hat thing is just for like a month more, i don't think i could keep doing. plus everyone i work with is brain dead about computers. can't stay here for long. all the RM hats (and hopefully beanies) are all coming out of my pocket. i'm pretty much breaking even.(if i can sell all 48 hats, i can buy more stuff from sanjay(metal))

i buy and sell a lot of things on here. i'd be premiun member fur sure
Steve

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
oh i can embroider to shirts and hoodies. but you guys don't want to pay that, just did some name tags on a couple carhart jackets for a local company.
wow. lot-o-dough

i need a pay raise