Quantcast

wtf?

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Velocity Girl said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with "tough" role models for chicks. You can be tough, know how to take of yourself, and not have a violent attitude. I consider myself to be a "tough chick" in that I can get dirty and throw around a bike with the boys but that doesn't mean I beat the crap out of everyone I see or anyone who pisses me off. I think it's more about having a role model to relate to that isn't the sterotypical helpless girl screaming "save me, save me" or flipping out because "oh my god I broke a nail"...I don't have nails, so I can't break 'em and I like to see other chicks who fall into the same category. Parents are the one who need to step up and teach their children what the difference is between being "tough" and being "violent"...big difference.
so are you supporting or discounting the dribble that hollyweird produces?
are you trying to say that the products coming from the hellhole don't promote female violence?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
ridetoofast said:
i WONDER!!! why that is. look at all the dribble coming out of hollyweird promoting the TOUGH CHICK syndrome. we as a culture glorify violence in all its forms and now it has spilled over into the xx gene pool.

million dollar baby just won an oscar...yeah lets promote female boxing

electra

alias (she can FIGHT her way out of any situation)

gosh i just dont know why girls these days are confused about their roles

ahhhh the wonders of feminism

rant over
Oh please.

Rocky
Rambo
Any Arnold movie
Batman
Most cartoon shows directed towards young boys
etc....need I go on?

If you think that violence in movies promotes violence in culture then you need some help. That or you need to add one of these after your posts :rolleyes:

:stosh:

The Ito

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i was quoting someone stating that he had just read something about FEMALE violence...read my post again. i didnt at any point say that there wasnt any male examples of violence and i in no way implied that was the sole source, but if you think that TV and movies don't have an impact your a tad clueless yourself.

i also said we as culture glorify violence in general and that it had spilt over into the female realm.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
ridetoofast said:
so are you supporting or discounting the dribble that hollyweird produces?
are you trying to say that the products coming from the hellhole don't promote female violence?
I support the fact that people are allowed to view the entertainment they enjoy. Hollywood produces it because that's what people want to see. Saying movies are the root of violence problems is the same type of argument people use against sexual and violent lyrics in music. In most movies the violence occurs in situations that most people are not going to encounter in their daily routine......children need to be taught the difference between this make believe world and reality, and what is acceptable behavior and what is not.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Velocity Girl said:
I support the fact that people are allowed to view the entertainment they enjoy. Hollywood produces it because that's what people want to see. Saying movies are the root of violence problems is the same type of argument people use against sexual and violent lyrics in music. In most movies the violence occurs in situations that most people are not going to encounter in their daily routine......children need to be taught the difference between this make believe world and reality, and what is acceptable behavior and what is not.

But our society and by that I mean children's parents are not teaching them the difference between reality and movies.. Back yard wrestling, fight clubs, etc. Why do we allow actor and musicians and sports starts to be role models. Charles Barkley said it best when he said he wasn't a role model. I cringed the day I heard that Kobe Bryant was arrested for rape. How do you explain to an 10 yr old who dreams of being Kobe one day that forcable sex is wrong? I know pandoras box is open but as parents we need to be responsible for our own children, not everyone elses. It doesnt take a village it just takes responsible parents.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
beestiboy said:
But our society and by that I mean children's parents are not teaching them the difference between reality and movies.. Back yard wrestling, fight clubs, etc. Why do we allow actor and musicians and sports starts to be role models. Charles Barkley said it best when he said he wasn't a role model. I cringed the day I heard that Kobe Bryant was arrested for rape. How do you explain to an 10 yr old who dreams of being Kobe one day that forcable sex is wrong? I know pandoras box is open but as parents we need to be responsible for our own children, not everyone elses. It doesnt take a village it just takes responsible parents.
I completely agree....when I mentioned children being taught what is right and wrong I was mainly primarily referring to the parents. I don't see problems with ads along the way that reinforce these issues, but the real message definitely needs to be coming from home.