jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Kid seems REALLY young to be getting braces, no? Two of my 3 kids had them, but both started around 12yo IIRC. :think:
More common for kids 1st/2nd grade. If there are bigger issues, like narrow jaw or teeth coming in twisted or bad angles, they can get ahead of it while everything is still soft.

Your dentist needs a new ///Car
Don't we all?

So you sent over $2k to a FSA to save 10-15% of that money on taxes, only to now spending it all on work you do not really need? You sound like a government project planner.
The money was already accounted for with Haley. Wifey is having a surgery that is going to be ~$1k, no matter what. She goes out of pocket $600/yr on contacts already. We'll spend it on normal (contacts) plus an additional out of ordinary (oral surgery) expense. They overflow will just go to me either getting prescription sunglasses (clear and color lenses) and goggle inserts or looking as Invisilign or Lasik. One of which will fix teeth which are consistently getting worse, other eliminating glasses cost in future... Still a cost effective use of funds.

Sounds like a great time to get LASIK. I'm super, super happy with my results, as is @Nick.
It's on my list to look at.

This is exactly why HDHP + HSA is a far better option. No perverse incentives to waste the money lest lose it.

The only time a health care FSA would be preferable in a dirtbag way is if one is planning on leaving one's job in the first few months of the calendar year, as the FSA is funded on day 1 with gradual payback, as it were.
We have HDHP + HSA. Our company setup an adtl FSA for dental and vision. It is not related to our health plan, so it doesn't impact the fact I have an HSA. We can only use it for dental and/or vision though - need to keep copies of receipts related to the expenses.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Meanwhile my Tesla just emails me if it wants something or other.
some people down the street from my parents just got a tesla....and quite frankly they don't look the type....from the amout of construction equipment in the yard.....the lack of shirts the men in the family wear in warm temps....

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
some people down the street from my parents just got a tesla....and quite frankly they don't look the type....from the amout of construction equipment in the yard.....the lack of shirts the men in the family wear in warm temps....
I got a $43k car for $26k. It costs me $.02/mile for my Bolt; $.16/mile for the Subaru for gas alone. If you can do math, an electric car makes sense.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have to take Hilarie's CR-V to the dealer - battery went dead and all the electronics lost their minds. I would very much like to go back to vehicles in which there are no computers.

Points, constant fiddling of carburators and still constantly running too rich or too lean? No thanks.

I purchased software that allows me to do the same levels of diagnostics and resets that a dealer would. Paid for itself in one dealer trip avoided.

It would however be nice if the cars computer would just display what was wrong rather than requiring a dealer or external hardware/software. But that would kill a large chunk of the dealership financial model.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I got a $43k car for $26k. It costs me $.02/mile for my Bolt; $.16/mile for the Subaru for gas alone. If you can do math, an electric car makes sense.
when did you get a bolt....and i thought they quit making those?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Not much of a story. I apparently lack the enthusiasm for projects they want to run in order to appease the government department that manages one of our state parks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not much of a story. I apparently lack the enthusiasm for projects they want to run in order to appease the government department that manages one of our state parks.
what kind of projects? when dealing w/ bureaucracy sometimes that's just the game that has to be played.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The problem is a massive spike in volume of hikers who overrun the place on weekends. Nemba wants to add bike specific map and is begging to help with trail signage. Good but anything with a potential of adding more people on the most popular trails will be politely ignored, IMHO. But, what do I know...