Quantcast

Wumpus' CS Thread

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I cracked the bottom cup(and top cup???) of my King headset. I took a couple of months before I finally called and sent it in, but after King got it, I had an essentially new headset in less than two weeks.

New top and bottom cups. They also gave me a new bearing cap(corroded from my sweat), a new race and crush ring --FOR FREE. Repacked bearings and new seals.:thumb:

The damage:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I emailed Camelbak about a leaky cap, and the rep had a new cap in the mail and to the house in less than a week from me emailing them.

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem, but I'm waiting until after the holidays to see what can be worked out.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Here's my favorite CS story:

I bought a used 36 Vanilla off ebay. The previous owner had removed the stickers. I thought it would look better with them, so I sent Fox an email, asking if they would send me a decal kit for it. I figured they'd say yes, because it's nearly free advertising for them, right? Well, I got a reply saying that I could call them and they'd sell me the stickers for about $10. F that. So I waited a month, and then tried again. This time, instead of just asking for the stickers, I sucked up to them, said how much I love the fork, put in some links to my race results (even though a 36 obviously was not on my XC race bike), said how much I'd love to show my support of them, blah blah blah. Well, I got a reply from the SAME CS REP saying that my stickers were in the mail. I got the decal kit for my fork, plus 3 posters, and a huge pile of Fox stickers. :D

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Park Tool:

I had their consumer workstand that you couldn't tighten the clamp position knob enough to prevent the bike from rotating. I discovered there was a mod kit available for it and emailed them to find out about it. The rep asked for my address and the kit was shipped to my house free of charge.

Same with a cracked knob on my TS-2 truing stand.

Hadley:

Call to inquire about purchasing new seals and grease for my hub. She got my address and shipped them out for free.

Fox Shox:

I miss going to the Norba races where their service trailer was. I could get new bushings in my rear shocks for free every year.

Also scored a free seal kit for my rear Float.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Crank Brothers, Thomson, and Deity are my favorite companies to deal with for customer sevice. Awesome!

toby

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I wouldnt let Loco tighten a zip tie, let alone the face plate of a stem of that magnitude :biggrin:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I got the same thing.

Yes, it was torqued to spec unless Loco doesn't know what he is doing .:busted:
they didn't warranty it? customer brought in a Thomson with 6 cracks in it. called Thomson and told them what was going on and that I had no clue how old the stem was, if it was over-tightened, had no proof of purchase...they warrantied it.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

Well, my frame took a detour so we will see. There is a rep somewhere in Virginia with my name and frame. Go figure.

Well after vacationing over winter break in Virginia, my new frame finally decided it was time to head home.

2006 Dakar Comp

I really want to thank Jamis(Skippy, a :monkey:, and Dru in warranty) for dealing with me direct(nearest dealer ~ 71 miles). I wasn't going to do anything about the cracked frame as gas and my time was worth more than just buying a new frame. Which I did anyway.