Quantcast

Wussy rear brake

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hey,

I bought a rental DH bike and had it tuned up when I bought it. They bled the brakes and changed the brake pads. (I have Hayes hydraulic discs, not sure what model)

The brakes worked fine up until the last time I went riding. I've only ridden the thing about 4 or 5 times. Early in the day, everything worked great, but on my last run of the day, the rear brake was working all that well at all. The lever could pull in enough that I was hitting the knuckle of my middle finger and wasn't getting the braking power I was getting in the morning.

It does not appear to be leaking, so why the extra travel in the lever? The brake pads are essentially new (I get about 5 or 6 runs of intermediate/semi-advanced riding in per day)

I just doesn't seem possible that the pads be worn out already.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I have Hayes HFX-9 brakes and levers and sometimes the right brake lever will get mushy. When I pull it the same thing happens to me - the lever hits my knuckles.

There should be a tiny (very tiny) screw under the base of the lever where the lever connects to the main body of the brake lever housing. It'll be hard to get to but try giving it some turns to tighten it. You should notice the brake lever extending out as you turn it.

Sorry I couldn't describe it better. I'm at work or I'd whip up a little MSPaint diagram action for you.

This is the case with my brakes - not sure if it'll be your instance but it's worth investigating.

Edit - here:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91961&stc=1&d=1184246611

Attachments

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Yeah - I drew that whole picture in MSPaint. What looks like a photograph is actually old fashion skillz.

Let me know if that screw thing helps.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
It sounds a little like a bad bleed. The brakes get hot when you're dragging them down hills all day and any air trapped in the line will expand, air compresses more than fluid so it makes the brake mushy and unresponsive. I'd take it back to the shop where you bought it and have them take a look at it, any good shop should give you a free tune up after a few weeks of riding.

mroneeyedboh

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
hey, not to jack the thread but how come on my front brake ( i use it a lot ) my lever makes a squishy noise when i use it? is it seals? it doesn't bother me but i don't want it to blow out on me going down any hills.