Wusthof 17cm Japanese cook's knife

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I am a vegetable ninja.

I am a raw-meat ronin.

I am a kitchen jedi.

This is the lightsaber of the culinary world.

Bell peppers beware. I am coming for you.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WTF?

I plugged "wusthof japanese cook knife" into Google to come up with a picture and this thread is the second link that came up.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Isn't 17 cm a bit...well...uh... short? Do you ever wish it was longer?

(Sorry. Someone had to say it. Congrats, by the way. Japanese kitchen knives are often associated with the phrase "kick ass and take names.")

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
In Japan, this knife can crush city blocks and spew atomic firebreath.

yamaguy01

Chimp
Jun 2, 2008
Fussa, Japan
I have a few Wüsthoff knives. I can not afford the block and set that I really want! Friggin' ex-roommate used one of my knives as a friggin' pry tool or something and broke the tip on my knive.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps

I have this exact knife and hardly ever use it. It was a gift and just doesn't feel comfortable. I don't like the pointed 90deg tip, it doesn't slide back and forth nicely while slicing. The cutting edge itself is a bit too flat (or straight) for my liking. Sharp as fuk though.

I also have, and use, this 20cm chefs knife. Also a gift, it is nice to use. The cutting edge has a nice transition along the entire length, no flat spots. Good length too.

This is my prize: Global's 18cm veg knife. I would be happy to select this one if I had to choose one knife only to own. Funny enough, it was also a gift. I use it for pretty much everything. It has been scarred up and chipped and I still love it. Holds an edge well and is damn sharp. From fine work to filleting fish to de-boning a chicken, it does everything.

Knives are personal however, so what I like may not be what you would like (and vice versa).

Last edited:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
This is my prize: Global's 18cm veg knife. [...] to de-boning a chicken, it does everything.
Ack! Hard, thin blades and bones do not mix well. Explains some the the edge chipping.

Knives are personal however, so what I like may not be what you would like (and vice versa).
Very very true. The best knife is the one you enjoy the most!