Quantcast

Wwdc 2009

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Live - http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/phil-schiller-keynote-live-from-wwdc-2009/

Apple's latest "revolutionary built-in battery" technology - LiPo batteries, a technology which came on to the market over a decade ago. Its too bad HP already has newer, safer, and comparable next generation Lion batteries on the market themselves and they are even user replaceable for those that already bought HP notebooks. HP truly thinks different - they care about their existing user base and the environment more than Apple does trying to get a new sale at every product announcement with their evolutionary changes marketed as revolutionary...

http://www.edn.com/blog/1470000147/post/130037813.html

http://www.boston-power.com/sonata-4400.html

Dec. 11, 2008

Boston-Power announced yesterday that HP will offer Boston-Power’s long-life rapid-charge lithium ion battery Sonata as an upgrade option to HP customers. The battery, which has a 3-year warranty, supports at least 1000 charge-discharge cycles before experiencing any degradation in its charge capacity. Compare this to the normal battery’s charge-discharge number of about 200 cycles. Boston-Power CEO Dr. Christina Lampe-Onnerud described the degradation over time of a conventional laptop battery: “The common user experience is that you typically are delighted with battery performance out-of-the-box, then two months later you see half the run time, and three to four months later half of that.”

What if you’re not in the market for a new laptop right now but your battery pack has passed its 200-cycle point and you are now less-than-delighted with it? If you currently have an HP laptop, the chances are good you can still upgrade to a Sonata: Lampe-Onnerud estimates that the Sonata is compatible with 80-90% of existing HP laptops.

HP is emphasizing the longer life of the environmentally-friendly pack by branding it as their Enviro pack. The packs will sell for a $20-30 premium over a conventional battery pack.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i foresee the week after the new LiPo battery releases there will be a massive recall because of them overheating.
LiPo's are a lot safer than they were a decade ago but you never know. I have a LiPo dual MCE handlebar light which did not have any issues but the OEM recalled the charger on it twice last season which does not inspire confidence. The cheap RC stuff with the high charge/discharge rates are the ones you need the charging safety bags etc...

Anyhow, HP partnered with Boston Power and release their product long before this "revolutionary" "new" technology and their solution has more stable chemistry plus its backward compatible for old HP users and you can just pop the battery out on your own if you get a bad one vs. a built-in headache.

How many years did it take Apple to finally including native tethering and it took years of bad PR from a Greenpeace campaign and mandatory RoHS standards for Apple to start cleaning up their act.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the stuff that RC cars use arent that cheap comparatively. people just dont know how to use them and or charge them, and use the proper components on board the car.

i think the new advanced Li-on batteries are great...i mean most, if not all, auto makers are using them for their cars