Quantcast

WWIII thread

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Putin might be able to squeeze one or two off but they wont go far, I would suspect his first launch would be from a sub in the Barents sea, it would then be detected by one of the two 24 hour AWAX flights doing round robins right now around the atlantic and pacific and intercepted before it got to international waters. I am willing to bet he knows if he launched from his mainland it would be intercepted over his own yard thus the fallout would be akin to shitting where you eat. Either way, his missles dont have the speed or range compared to our counter defenses. Between our subs, carrier groups and aircraft it is a waiting game if you ask me.
Do you think the nuke configuration of the new hypersonic has been worked out yet?
Range is not the greatest but...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I got roped into a "spirited" conversation (over beers) about the pros and cons of nuking Moscow preemptively... honestly surprised by the overwhelming support of the idea, citing the inevitability of world war at this point.

Sigh. Fuck.
This got me thinking... Nobody under the age of ~77 was alive the last time a nuke was used during armed conflict.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The roads are built as VFR strips with taxi ways, nobody from the cabinet is ever driving there. If you pan out there are other multiple strips about 10-20km away down the road to the south and west
Also 5-10k out if you look carefully I see just bellow high points more than a few tracks leading to small clearings right about where anti air would want to be.....

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I got roped into a "spirited" conversation (over beers) about the pros and cons of nuking Moscow preemptively... honestly surprised by the overwhelming support of the idea, citing the inevitability of world war at this point.

Sigh. Fuck.
Perspective for you I guess.
So traditionally the monkey politics forum has been a "seething cess pit of left wing hand ringers & "snowflakes" ".... or something like that. ;)

Over the last 2 weeks or so the seething cess pit has basically pivoted into full military fetish mode "Oooh I could go a B52, but I'd be thinking of an A10...."
So the general public being by and large more centrist or right than this lil echo chamber it would be expected for that pivot to be carried over to them as well.
Nuke Moscow & make it worse?

I am Jacks total lack of fucking surprise.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
So traditionally the monkey politics forum has been a "seething cess pit of left wing hand ringers & "snowflakes" ".... or something like that. ;)

Over the last 2 weeks or so the seething cess pit has basically pivoted into full military fetish mode "Oooh I could go a B52, but I'd be thinking of an A10...."
So the general public being by and large more centrist or right than this lil echo chamber it would be expected for that pivot to be carried over to them as well.

I must say that I find the calls for direct Nato involvement pretty disturbing and people seem to get a bit carried away on the gross incompetence of the Russian military as portrayed by the expertly conducted information politics from the Ukrainians.
I can only speak for myself here: I'm not cheering for war, but I'm glad as fuck that this has lead to a hopefully lasting pivot on defense policy in Europe. Shame that it comes 15 years too late and that thousands and thousands of Ukrainians will die for Europe and especially Germany to come to the realization that they need to be able to defend themselves.
My perception in Europe is that people rallye behind Ukraine and are confident of being on the right side while also being genuinely scared of an escalation. The eastern Europeans are hardly lusting for war but will be glad that the concerns they have raised for decades are being taken seriously now.

What drives me up the wall is self satisfaction and punitive measures that encroach on civil liberties to score some PR points on dubious legal basis. For instance, the Munich Philarmonic just fired its Russian star conductor for not sufficiently distancing himself from Putin. And this type of thing is the exact illiberal overreaction that should be avoided:

FireShot Capture 257 - Visegrád 24 on Twitter_ _The Czech Republic introduces potential 1 to_ ...png

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I must say that I find the calls for direct Nato involvement pretty disturbing and people seem to get a bit carried away on the gross incompetence of the Russian military as portrayed by the expertly conducted information politics from the Ukrainians.
I can only speak for myself here: I'm not cheering for war, but I'm glad as fuck that this has lead to a hopefully lasting pivot on defense policy in Europe. Shame that it comes 15 years too late and that thousands and thousands of Ukrainians will die for Europe and especially Germany to come to the realization that they need to be able to defend themselves.
My perception in Europe is that people rallye behind Ukraine and are confident of being on the right side while also being genuinely scared of an escalation. The eastern Europeans are hardly lusting for war but will be glad that the concerns they have raised for decades are being taken seriously now.

What drives me up the wall is self satisfaction and punitive measures that encroach on civil liberties to score some PR points on dubious legal basis. For instance, the Munich Philarmonic just fired its Russian star conductor for not sufficiently distancing himself from Putin. And this type of thing is the exact illiberal overreaction that should be avoided:

View attachment 172756
Maybe it is time to learn a bit about that claim before casting stones. That law banning public defense of genocides was introduced many years ago, mainly to curb nazi demonstrations and deniers of holocaust, Roma genocide or communist pogroms. I didn’t know it existed until know, and I need to investigate more about its origins.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Maybe it is time to learn a bit about that claim before casting stones. That law banning public defense of genocides was introduced many years ago, mainly to curb nazi demonstrations and deniers of holocaust, Roma genocide or communist pogroms. I didn’t know it existed until know, and I need to investigate more about its origins.
I am talking about the irresponsible reporting on the potential that someone could be prosecuted by an older law by framing it a some kind of reaction to the invasion.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

I'm with @6thElement on this, given that I live in an area that's definitely in the top 3 Russia "To nuke" spots. If we could not preemptively nuke another country, again, that would be great. The fetishizing of this whole mess is more than a tad disturbing.

It ain't like humans are rational.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am talking about the irresponsible reporting on the potential that someone could be prosecuted by an older law by framing it a some kind of reaction to the invasion.
By whom, Visegrad 24? Whether I agree with that post or not, I don't think it is a big deal. "you may be prosecuted for supporting genocide in Ukraine", boo fucking hoo. Let's focus on the real bad things still going on instead, like the Germans still profiteering from and lobbying for Putin (hello Mr. Schroeder), or the EU banks that keep protecting their russian interests by excluding the biggest russian banks like Sberbank from the SWIFT expulsion. It is still a joke.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
By whom, Visegrad 24? Whether I agree with that post or not, I don't think it is a big deal. "you may be prosecuted for supporting genocide in Ukraine", boo fucking hoo. Let's focus on the real bad things still going on instead, like the Germans still profiteering from and lobbying for Putin (hello Mr. Schroeder), or the EU banks that keep protecting their russian interests by excluding the biggest russian banks like Sberbank from the SWIFT expulsion. It is still a joke.
Yes, I'm talking about that post in the context of public sentiment, since that is what DaveW, who I was replying to, was talking about. Regarding Schröder and his ilk, I'll be the first to shit on them and of course you are right: the likes of him are still sitting pretty on all the money they made from directly supporting Putin's regime, while we are seeing some meaningless publicity stunts going after public figures and news outlets. People like Fillon, Schröder and a bunch of second rate politicians have done far more damage and legitimized Putin in a way that Russia Today could only dream of. Put them on a sanctions list and freeze their assets.

I expect the sanction talk to shift to full on trade embargo soon, I see lots of economists on my feed coming around on that idea.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm definitely not cheering for war. If it escalates, nukes will be used and that's not ending well for anyone on the planet.

Wouldn't it be nice if humans could progress far enough to not need to spend billions/trillions on "national" defense and that money could instead be spent on more useful things and/or not taken as tax in the first place from the public.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Yes, I also hope the economic sanctions work and Putin backs down and try to save face with some bs agreement or something.
Escalation isnt good for the planet, but specially for the 19yo kids who have to actually fight it.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Also 5-10k out if you look carefully I see just bellow high points more than a few tracks leading to small clearings right about where anti air would want to be.....
yeah, it seems he has quite the little nest up there in those hills and has thought of everything as a paranoid criminal would. I sure there are plenty of military/defense rigs in those barns and sheds.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, the perspective on it is a little different if you frame the "invasion" as terrorists attacks.