Quantcast

WWIII thread

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
As he should have.
Want to solve the problem? transition to non fossil fuel energy as quickly as possible, and stop exporting US produced oil and gas out of the US. That would mean $$$ losses to oil/gas companies, but fuck them.
Considering the subsidies, the insane profits and the externalized costs?
Ya, I think they are due.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That sounds like a sound strategy for the duration of this war. :rolleyes: Almost as good as the german brainless hasted transition to renewables that now make them 100% dependable on the russians.
I don't think the "renewable" resources are coming from Russia. In fact, it's kinda the opposite. What's making them dependant on Russian oil and gas is that they haven't transitioned to renewables fully.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I don't think the "renewable" resources are coming from Russia. In fact, it's kinda the opposite. What's making them dependant on Russian oil and gas is that they haven't transitioned to renewables fully.
@Sandro can explain to you how amazing the German energy strategy has been in the last decade.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
saw some stuff that rus is having international flights turn back.

this may mean they are already in the process of closing their borders, or it is perhaps related to the airplanes themselves being seized outside the country (as i posted previously)

1646335309138.png

gonefirefightin

free wieners
For those interested, Factual backed reports and sources, they got rid of all the other users and trolls finally

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
@Sandro can explain to you how amazing the German energy strategy has been in the last decade.
Just unnecessarily stupid. The major and costly switch to renewables is more than welcome, it’s mainly the premature shutdown of perfectly good and modern nuclear plants and the geostrategic implications of the gas transit routes that irks me. Gas accounts for 20% of energy in the country, with 38% coming from Russia. There will be a need for gas for quite some time as it’s the prevalent heating technology, with all the related infrastructure in place. 15% of gas however is used for power generation and that part could have largely been replaced by keeping the nuclear plants online. And if the intention is to go green, why in the world would you shut down power plants who’s entire CO2 footprint was generated during their expensive construction but keep on burning coal until 2030? (Rhetorical question as we have two states with major coal deposits.)

Importing gas isn’t bad per se, not even from Russia, and countries such as Poland are even far more reliant on Russian gas. What’s inexcusable is the construction of the Nordstream 2 pipeline against the express wishes of everyone in the EU and particularly the countries in the east and Ukraine. The project was entirely unnecessary as gas use should decrease and the existing pipelines that run through the Baltic Sea and through Ukraine and Poland had more than enough capacity. The whole project was designed to circumvent Ukraine and get gas to Germany directly without paying any transit fees to the Ukrainians. It was initiated by best buddies Putin and chancellor Gerhard Schröder, who miraculously ended up heading the project after being beaten by Merkel and has since held highly lucrative posts with state run Russian energy giants Gazprom and Rosneft.
That fuckstick, who famously called Putin a flawless democrat, could have had a stellar political legacy as Merkel was able to stay in office so long to a large extent due to the wide ranging reforms he pushed through that started paying dividends in the decade after he left office. And while even the most heinous organizations on the planet cannot distance themselves from Russia quick enough, Schröder is still a board member of Rosneft.

Merkel should get at least as much blame as she has persisted with the project against the will of pretty much every international partner, especially Eastern European countries that got crushed by German expansionism in the past.
Certain politicians will drone on about some special responsibility towards Russia but completely ignore any responsibility towards the countries that got double teamed by Adolf and Joseph, some of which are EU partners. Rapprochement with Russia was initiated by Social Democratic chancellors Brandt and Schmidt, but it was done with Germany firmly part of the western alliance and a vastly larger military and corresponding spending. I can understand that defense policy wasn’t prioritized after the fall of the Berlin wall as the world did appear to become more peaceful and money was diverted from defense to building up the former communist states. But Russia’s aggression has been plain to see since at least 2008, yet the concerns of the Russia’s neighbors have been largely ignored, which is shameful.

There’s now been a turnaround on defense and extending the life of the three remaining nuclear plants and even bringing older plants back online is on the table again. To bring it back to gas, neither Germany nor its neighbors will be able to wean themselves of gas completely in short order. The former Polish foreign minister suggested a European Gas Union that purchases and distributes gas as a collective. It doesn’t reduce dependency, but I like the idea as it harkens back to the beginning of the EU when countries pooled their resources for steel production and nuclear power and grew closer and more interdependent. At first economically and limited to a few industries and subsequently in virtually all areas.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just unnecessarily stupid. The major and costly switch to renewables is more than welcome, it’s mainly the premature shutdown of perfectly good and modern nuclear plants and the geostrategic implications of the gas transit routes that irks me. Gas accounts for 20% of energy in the country, with 38% coming from Russia. There will be a need for gas for quite some time as it’s the prevalent heating technology, with all the related infrastructure in place. 15% of gas however is used for power generation and that part could have largely been replaced by keeping the nuclear plants online. And if the intention is to go green, why in the world would you shut down power plants who’s entire CO2 footprint was generated during their expensive construction but keep on burning coal until 2030? (Rhetorical question as we have two states with major coal deposits.)
What's ironic, Germany now has to import nuclear-produced electricity from neighbors like France and Czech Republic because the renewables can't cover demand when weather isn't cooperating.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
What's ironic, Germany now has to import nuclear-produced electricity from neighbors like France and Czech Republic because the renewables can't cover demand when weather isn't cooperating.
Well at least our electricity costs are…

the highest in the whole of Europe.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well Biden did cut off drilling on federal land when he first got into office. Maybe fire those pumps up to help offset the costs, sell our oil to other countries dependent on Russia's oil until this shitstorm is over then regroup.
The US is energy independent. We can unplug from their taps and self fuel with no concerns. It's the rest of the world that cannot keep warm, which is the issue.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Well at least our electricity costs are…

the highest in the whole of Europe.
Just like here in Mass, our electricity costs are the highest in the US. We cannot have US natural gas transported from other US ports via tankers, and our green whackos are blocking NG pipeline, so we buy NG for electricity generation and residential heating from Russia, Nigeria, the Saudis... total shitshow.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
As he should have.
Want to solve the problem? transition to non fossil fuel energy as quickly as possible, and stop exporting US produced oil and gas out of the US. That would mean $$$ losses to oil/gas companies, but fuck them.
But we don't have a viable product yet to cut off fossil fuels. You need a bulletproof solution before ending it, we're not there yet. Batteries don't work well in the cold, solar isn't as efficient in the winter to sustain heating your home. Where do you think that electricity comes from to charge your electric car? Mostly fossil fuels. In time they'll transition away from it, companies are moving forward with it as we speak, but I think we're still about 15-20+ years away. Biden ended the construction of the Keystone pipeline. John Kerry said right after, those laid off workers can get a job making solar panels, sad this is we don't manufacture them here in the US they all come from China. All I'm saying is, make sure it works and works well in all seasons, before moving forward.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
But we don't have a viable product yet to cut off fossil fuels. You need a bulletproof solution before ending it, we're not there yet. Batteries don't work well in the cold, solar isn't as efficient in the winter to sustain heating your home. Where do you think that electricity comes from to charge your electric car? Mostly fossil fuels. In time they'll transition away from it, companies are moving forward with it as we speak, but I think we're still about 15-20+ years away. Biden ended the construction of the Keystone pipeline. John Kerry said right after, those laid off workers can get a job making solar panels, sad this is we don't manufacture them here in the US they all come from China. All I'm saying is, make sure it works and works well in all seasons, before moving forward.
The issue I see is that was the school of thought that lead to the current situation.
The change didnt happen fast enough and wont come fast enough unless you step outside the boundaries of "comfort".

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Wait, are you asking a white guy to change his ways?

**runs for the front seat of his truck and turns on the front facing camera phone**

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
If morons like Brian had been able to see the writing on the wall 30 years ago, like so many of us began to, we wouldn’t BE in this mess, it would have started... 30 years ago. But the petro- dickheads kept the gullible tools fooled, and here we are.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, my thought here, if Musk, Gates, Bezos, and a few others had any balls or love of fellow man in their hearts, they would pony up a 10 BILLION dollar bounty for Putin’s head.

That would probably do it.

No takers?

Raise it by a billion a week.

it would STILL be pocket change.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So, my thought here, if Musk, Gates, Bezos, and a few others had any balls or love of fellow man in their hearts, they would pony up a 10 BILLION dollar bounty for Putin’s head.

That would probably do it.

No takers?

Raise it by a billion a week.

it would STILL be pocket change.

It would also be illegal by both US and international law. Those guys aren't doing anything that isn't good for them let alone something that will get them locked up.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
If morons like Brian had been able to see the writing on the wall 30 years ago, like so many of us began to, we wouldn’t BE in this mess, it would have started... 30 years ago. But the petro- dickheads kept the gullible tools fooled, and here we are.
Seriously, name calling? Very sad you're incapable of having a discussion with someone that shares a different opinion without getting all defensive. Speaks volumes about yourself. Must suck to be you.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The issue I see is that was the school of thought that lead to the current situation.
The change didnt happen fast enough and wont come fast enough unless you step outside the boundaries of "comfort".
I'm totally on board for other solutions for energy production. Just saying we're not there yet to rely on it 100%.