Quantcast

WWIII thread

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But we don't have a viable product yet to cut off fossil fuels. You need a bulletproof solution before ending it, we're not there yet. Batteries don't work well in the cold, solar isn't as efficient in the winter to sustain heating your home. Where do you think that electricity comes from to charge your electric car? Mostly fossil fuels. In time they'll transition away from it, companies are moving forward with it as we speak, but I think we're still about 15-20+ years away. Biden ended the construction of the Keystone pipeline. John Kerry said right after, those laid off workers can get a job making solar panels, sad this is we don't manufacture them here in the US they all come from China. All I'm saying is, make sure it works and works well in all seasons, before moving forward.
Batteries work well enough in the cold, at least for settings where people don't cold soak them overnight. Heat pumps are also efficient down to very low temperatures, and resistive elements can kick in as backup. Electric heat is viable.

Solar can be used for heat but in most senses "solar" is PV panels generating electricity. Yes, they don't always produce power, especially when covered by snow. We also have unpredictable power demands that must be met exactly for the grid to stay at the right frequency. Thus some sort of peaker capacity is still needed, but that functionality can largely be replaced by big battery banks, hauling train cars up a big hill, pumping water against gravity, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If this plant blows from Russian shelling, it will be a disaster as bad as - or worse - than the Chernobyl disaster.

Also note this is the largest nuclear power plant in Europe.

FM97d1tXsBEyyay.jpeg

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
FYI, if you need a moron's guide to the Compleat History of Teh Ukraine Up to Now, conveyed by morons, I recommend the latest Ride Companion podcast.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I feel like there must be some fellows who know their way around Fucking Shit Up™ who could lend a hand without being announced in any major sort of way. Don't even need the beards and keffiyehs

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As someone in the water world, this is pretty sobering

Cyrilic Cyber Security

My shop takes this pretty seriously and has taken a lot of steps to minimize our vulnerability, but a lot of other utilities are whistling past the graveyard.

As an industrial controls engineer I palm my face when people talk about the Industrial Internet Of Things and encourage people to airgap their critical infrastructure as much as possible.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
As someone in the water world, this is pretty sobering

Cyrilic Cyber Security

My shop takes this pretty seriously and has taken a lot of steps to minimize our vulnerability, but a lot of other utilities are whistling past the graveyard.
Two personal friends are commanders for the US Army cyber defense, one out of Maryland and one in SoCal, Each of them say the same thing,

"We can tell you exactly when and where they are going to hit and how they will do it, but 99% of those systems and infrastructures are a house of cards. American users wont spend the minimal time and finances to beef up their vulnerability that would only take a week and minimal dollars to be fortressed."

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm going to be pissed if I get killed by a Putin nuke.

I'm going to be really pissed if I get killed by a Putin nuke launched because of Lindsay Graham.

Shitty weather again for the next week and I've got a new bike to ride first. :(

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

I'm going to be really pissed if I get killed by a Putin nuke launched because of Lindsay Graham.

Shitty weather again for the next week and I've got a new bike to ride first. :(
It'd be funny if now Graham ends up drinking the polonium tea.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Won't be the first time Lady G has had a red, hot, Russian "missile" launched at him.

NTTATWWT