Quantcast

WWIII thread

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
One thing I think is pretty clear is that Russia is really struggling in Ukraine and they may not have the power to finish off Ukraine let alone push further. And the battles in Ukraine will further weaken what military strength they do have. Any territorial escalation on their part will probably have to be with the big glowy bombs.

Sadly I think the West is using Ukraine as a means of weakening Russia at the cost to Ukraine. However I can't think of more we can do that wouldn't be an invitation to use the big glowy bombs. Germany still has a lot of economic cards they can play but that seems highly unlikely.
the only reasonable thing Putin has said lately is that the sanctions are equivalent to war.
There is little to do now, short of military escalation, other than just wait for Putin to withdraw or implode.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
One thing I think is pretty clear is that Russia is really struggling in Ukraine and they may not have the power to finish off Ukraine let alone push further. And the battles in Ukraine will further weaken what military strength they do have. Any territorial escalation on their part will probably have to be with the big glowy bombs.

Sadly I think the West is using Ukraine as a means of weakening Russia at the cost to Ukraine. However I can't think of more we can do that wouldn't be an invitation to use the big glowy bombs. Germany still has a lot of economic cards they can play but that seems highly unlikely.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there not some early concern that this initial wave of invasion was just the warm up before the "elite troops" entered the fray? Then, recently there were stories of literal children being sent to the front. Perhaps I just don't have the mind of a despotic dictator, but wouldn't you send in the "elite troops" before you sent in the literal kids? Seems to me that the jig may be up for ol' puttytang, no?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Must read if you have 10 minutes.
That’s the thing about the United States. We have corrective mechanisms. We can learn from our mistakes. We have a political system that punishes mistakes. We have strong institutions. We have a powerful society, a powerful and free media. Administrations that perform badly can learn and get better, which is not the case in Russia or in China. It’s an advantage that we can’t forget.

:rolleyes:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That’s the thing about the United States. We have corrective mechanisms. We can learn from our mistakes. We have a political system that punishes mistakes. We have strong institutions. We have a powerful society, a powerful and free media. Administrations that perform badly can learn and get better, which is not the case in Russia or in China. It’s an advantage that we can’t forget.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

You haven't lived in a country that doesn't even pretend having all that.

It makes a difference.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just saying, MA is pretty blue collar, middle of the road. A few years ago it was scott brown. Western mass is fairly red, but Cambridge is so blue they had a bald black lady beat a career, dyed in the wool liberal democrat because he was white. So yeah, I agree with you as a whole, and would prefer to see more scott browns and fewer ayana pressleys

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Why? Is Biden perceived as "weak"/being elsewhere and now everybody is trying to see what they can get away with?

I've seen him lapse and wander while speaking. Guy doesnt look fit to be president to be honest.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I wonder, if they simply assasinate Zelinsky, it will cause a collapse, or a galvanization. He would certainly be a martyr for the ages. He is a giant among men.
I think that will be the start of the end. It seems like he's galvanized his people and if they hit the mute button on him then I feel like either the greater public (us) or his people will forget the plot. Hopefully I am underestimating the Ukrainian people.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!