Quantcast

WWIII thread

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

I bet they would also bump @Brian HCM#1 posts.
X-posting for relevance. Fox news and Russia's favorite "democrat" still on the payroll.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This cannot be a good thing

just for you

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
just for you

So Victoria Nuland has no credibility? She's your people "democrat". I was just pointing out her response, and she seemed concerned & nervous when asked. I never mentioned bio weapons, just pointed out something during a hearing between Rubio & Nuland. Maybe there is something in that lab that if gets into the wrong hands can turn into another Covid type outbreak? Hope its all a bunch of BS, but who knows. Then again, aren't we're still waiting for all that proof Adam Schiff said he has with Trump & Russian collusion? Anyways this whole thing is the media's way of distracting everyone from the way the Biden administration is preforming in fear that Trump will run again in 2024 & win.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
She's your people "democrat".
Oh

well in that case

I hadn't considered that finely thought out detail.

Go back and watch what she actually said vs. what people claimed she said.

Maybe there is something in that lab that if gets into the wrong hands can turn into another Covid type outbreak?
mebbe monkeys gon fly out muh butt

watch out!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Oh

well in that case

I hadn't considered that finely thought out detail.

Go back and watch what she actually said vs. what people claimed she said.
I'm going by what she said. Rubio asked, she responded with her answer. I have personally never heard anyone talking about bio weapons, just labs and we might need to be concerned if what's there falls into the wrong hands. No conspiracies for me, just watched the body language of Nuland & that spoke for itself.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Extensive interview with a former Russian diplomatic correspondent now working for the Carnegie Endowment. Most of the information will not be new to anyone who has followed the conflict closely, but all bundled together it helped me make some more sense of events such as the utterly bizarre press conference Putin held just prior to the invasion where he publicly humiliated members of his security council.

https://octavian.substack.com/p/inside-the-bear-alexander-gabuev?s=r

A few choice bits here, he’s not terribly optimistic about a quick end to either the conflict or Putin’s reign:

The other part of Putin’s obsession is his belief that Russians and Ukrainians are one people. He’s not bullshitting when he talks about this. He’s been obsessed with Ukraine since he became president, but he became much more absorbed by this narrative during the last two years, which he spent in self-isolation due to COVID. He spent a lot of time reading historical stuff, but his reading was very selective. A lot of it was archival material, and he obviously didn’t go to archives himself because he’s not a historian. So somebody brought this stuff to his desk.
[…]
Another reason for all the mistakes is that he never went to Russia’s national-security establishment and said, “Hey guys, in a year or so I want to invade Ukraine, so let’s start thinking through the scenarios and debate the economic costs.” A full invasion of Ukraine was such an unimaginable idea that Putin tried to keep his plan as well hidden as possible. Instead of serious war planning, it became a clandestine operation, with only a handful of military planners involved.
[…] That and the fact that it looks like the Russian military is just not as powerful as we thought. I have an explanation for that, too. Over the last 20-plus years, Putin has tried to professionalize the military but in a way that would ensure it wouldn’t become a rival power center. Unlike in the U.S. military, where you have figures like General David Petraeus or General Stanley McChrystal, who are world class intellectually and were groomed to be senior statesmen, the majority of senior Russian commanders don’t speak any foreign language and were never educated about how the outside world operates.
[…] Most Russian people don’t speak English or look at alternative sources of information. Only 16 percent of Russians even have passports, and only eight percent have travelled to countries that require a visa. So either they buy the government’s line, or they prefer to look the other way
Now, the super-rich elite are terrified. A lot of them are now under sanction, and they’re screwed. What can they do? Look at what happened in Hong Kong: half the city protested when Beijing imposed stricter control there, and it didn’t stop President Xi. And Putin definitely won’t hesitate to use bullets on protesters. So people who do object can either flee, or, if they’re in the elite, they can say, “Okay, we’ve thrown in our lot with Putin, and as terrible as things are going to get, at least we’ll be like the nomenklatura of North Korea or the revolutionary establishment of Iran. We have enough Château Margaux in our cellars, we have enough fancy wristwatches, we have enough Louis Vuitton luggage. So we’ll live in Fortress Russia, and we’ll support Putin, and we’ll survive.”
[…] So if plan A doesn’t work, and it hasn’t, he is ready to turn Kiev and Kharkiv into Aleppo and Grozny. And then Russia will need to occupy Ukraine, because the moment Russian troops go home, whatever puppet government they’ve installed will be out. So Russia will occupy Ukraine, and there will be an Iraq-type insurgency, and ultimately this will end badly, because there is no way that Russia can occupy Ukraine forever. The problem here is that it can last for many years, like the U.S. operation in Afghanistan. But most of the Russian population won’t protest the war.
OR: Even when Russian boys start coming home in body bags?
Gabuev: I don’t think that will change things, because the regime will turn more and more repressive. We have many examples of how that works. Look at the Iran-Iraq war: that was really long and bloody, but the populations didn’t turn against the dictatorships. The political opposition in Russia has been disassembled. The most active part of society will emigrate. And even if protests do pop up, the government will just take out bigger sticks.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Does anyone else find it curious that significant cyber-warfare has not happened yet, from either the US or NATO countries, or from Russia in return?
Would that amplify things to direct confrontation?
I know Anonymous is trying some things, but I find it odd that ‘black hats’ in Russia haven’t attempted to retaliate in kind. Or, for that matter, any dissidents in Russia operating against Russian interests.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Does anyone else find it curious that significant cyber-warfare has not happened yet, from either the US or NATO countries, or from Russia in return?
Would that amplify things to direct confrontation?
I know Anonymous is trying some things, but I find it odd that ‘black hats’ in Russia haven’t attempted to retaliate in kind. Or, for that matter, any dissidents in Russia operating against Russian interests.
I bet there is much jockeying going on behind the scenes that we'll only hear about years from now. Power grids almost going out of sync from sabotage, etc.