Quantcast

WWIII thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm not aiming at you personally, and the comment applies to the prior posts. I don't think that flippancy is appropriate in this topic, but that's just my opinion. I was having trouble getting to sleep last night due to the horror of what the Russians are doing.
I personally believe in the power of shaming, shunning and calling shit out. A bunch of german suburbanites in nice comfy cars supporting their next favorite genocide absolutely need to be hit in the face with potatoes.

As someone who lived through both world wars you know as well as anyone that fascism and the support of it only grow when not confronted.

I've learned a lot from westy's potato gun posts that I fully plan on using when the next trump flag equivalent starts back up here. Because if pootin isn't stopped, our next president will be his ally. This does not take away or distract from what's going on in Ukraine in my mind. In a way it's a coping mechanism even.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Meanwhile in russia, the official party line is that Ukraine is more dangerous to humankind than nazi Germany and Hitler.
Honestly this can’t be reposted often enough. It’s utterly horrifying in its inhumanity and sheer outrageousness. Sure it’s state propaganda, but they would not be using any tropes that they aren’t sure will resonate with the existing beliefs of the target audience, which is the majority of the Russian population. I’d urge everyone to read through this entire piece.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Honestly this can’t be reposted often enough. It’s utterly horrifying in its inhumanity and sheer outrageousness. Sure it’s state propaganda, but they would not be using any tropes that they aren’t sure will resonate with the existing beliefs of the target audience, which is the majority of the Russian population. I’d urge everyone to read through this entire piece.
notably devoid of evidence or examples...

...reads exactly like some philosophical bullshit addressing 'the jewish question'

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am only just coming up to speed on the history of this area but it all makes sense when you replace "nazi" with "someone who doesn't think Russia has the right to invade their country". So Russia wants to destroy Ukraine because Ukrainians don't want Russia to destroy them.

It isn't too different from Cops beating up protesters who think cops don't have the right to beat people up. It is the use of power as a response to questioning power, sadly that logic seems to resonate with the big Brained folks.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am only just coming up to speed on the history of this area but it all makes sense when you replace "nazi" with "someone who doesn't think Russia has the right to invade their country". So Russia wants to destroy Ukraine because Ukrainians don't want Russia to destroy them.
Good ole tribal warfare. And they believe that the "civilized" (weak) west will just always twiddle their thumbs, a sure sign of its own corrupt ethics.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I read that article stihacka posted yesterday and was thinking that very thing: how do they use fascist discourse to denounce nazism...? It just hurt my brain...
One of the Kamil Galeev Twitter threads posted here addressed this in depth, but the gist of it is that Nazism in Russia means basically anything that Russia decides it is opposed to, irrespective of the reasons for the opposition or even any consistent ideology on either side. If Russia is against it, it’s Nazism.

It’s also good to keep in mind that Russia never had any sort of reckoning with it’s history post WWII. It’s still the country that heroically fought the Nazis and sacrificed a lot. No one was ever held accountable or even went to trial for Katyn or any other atrocities committed by the Red Army. Same for the Gulags, Stalin‘s purges or Grosny. Russia has been faultless ever since the great patriotic war, with foreign enemies constantly conspiring to undermine it. And if you think otherwise, guess what that makes you?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
One of the Kamil Galeev Twitter threads posted here addressed this in depth, but the gist of it is that Nazism in Russia means basically anything that Russia decides it is opposed to, irrespective of the reasons for the opposition or even any consistent ideology on either side. If Russia is against it, it’s Nazism.
nazi-ism is like woke-ism here :rofl:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It’s also good to keep in mind that Russia never had any sort of reckoning with it’s history post WWII. It’s still the country that heroically fought the Nazis and sacrificed a lot. No one was ever held accountable or even went to trial for Katyn or any other atrocities committed by the Red Army. Same for the Gulags, Stalin‘s purges or Grosny. Russia has been faultless ever since the great patriotic war, with foreign enemies constantly conspiring to undermine it. And if you think otherwise, guess what that makes you?
About ten years ago I did a bunch of reading about the USSR/ww2/gulag clusterfuck.

It was quickly apparent that Russia never had to face their genocidal behavior or any of the other evil shit they did. They just pulled back into their shell and never were held accountable on an international scale.

It is insane how many Russians Russia has systematically murdered.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Again, I really hope these atrocities (and those that will likely be unveiled in the next few days/weeks/months) will lead to the implosion of Putin's Russia.

Speaking of batshit-crazy propaganda leading to people doing horrible things, now is probably a good time to strike back at the Komrades from the Republican party and make sure these dangerous fuckwits receive their fair share of the unanimous outrage against their Russian scum friends.

A nice compilation that came out yesterday about their position with respect to Russia, for those who have not seen it yet:
(Don't watch if you're sensitive or if you've already seen enough of the Russian atrocities in Bucha)

Funny how the Trump Cult Followers need to invent crazy shit about Liberals to make them look bad, while a only a simple Copy/Paste job of actual footage is needed to demonstrate how incredibly stupid and dangerous these people are. I still cannot understand how millions of Americans can be stupid enough to believe these people. Cannot comprehend.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
two things I've been thinking about ...

1. Apparently if you have nukes, you can do whatever the fuck you want
2. Russia's perceived military capabilities seems to be WAAAY overblown compared to what they can actually pull off. I wonder if their nukes are just as rusty as their Army?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
2. Russia's perceived military capabilities seems to be WAAAY overblown compared to what they can actually pull off. I wonder if their nukes are just as rusty as their Army?
Unfortunately when you've got a few thousand you only need one of them to find its target.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Funny how the Trump Cult Followers need to invent crazy shit about Liberals to make them look bad, while a only a simple Copy/Paste job of actual footage is needed to demonstrate how incredibly stupid and dangerous these people are. I still cannot understand how millions of Americans can be stupid enough to believe these people. Cannot comprehend.
Because else wise they would have to take a deep, long, introspective look, do a little hard work, and recognize that the only thing making their lives miserable is themselves.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!