Quantcast

WWIII thread

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds a bit like western wishful thinking to me. I've read several assesments over the past days that go in the opposite direction: that there is great disdain for Putin's handling of the Ukraine invasion, but because he went in too soft with his "special operation" approach and that the generals want all out war.
I can't really imagine Putin being toppled, and even if he is, I don't think he will get replaced with someone we would consider more palatable, quite the opposite possibly.
my first thought was that it could be disinformation

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I cannot decide what's worse: being an anti Nato fascist living comfortably in a Nato country, being a member of not one but two Nissan X-Trail forums, or that horrendous spoiler.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'll gladly take this opportunity to wheel out Adam Curtis again. The Russians are very well versed in accepting a reality that they know perfectly well is fake and a system that is obviously failing for a lack of being able to imagine any alternative (not that we aren't pretty adept at that in the west as well):
You know... you replace "Russians" with "GOP" and your statement still rings kinda true... :think:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
No - but that statement rings true of the modern MAGA GOP, IMO.

I guess sandro alluded to it in his post...
If you mean my remark about the west being equally adept at accepting fake realities and just going along with it, I meant that even more broadly and irrespective of political affiliations. For instance, most of us know that the stock market is rigged and is no accurate represantation of fundamental value, but we still stuff our retirement money into it as the inert system is set up that way, seems to work for us and we don't really know what else to do.

"You were so much a part of the system, that it became impossible to see beyond it". I'd say that our system is far more malleable than the Soviet one in question, but I'm also convinced that the same principle applies to pretty much all organized societies.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
"You were so much a part of the system, that it became impossible to see beyond it". I'd say that our system is far more malleable than the Soviet one in question, but I'm also convinced that the same principle applies to pretty much all organized societies.
Yep the Orwellian "Group think"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Someone made a website counting down to when the Crimean bridge will be taken down. Probably just an epic troll, but a good one at that. Coincidentally Ukraine just received weapons with enough range to accomplish this.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah, the russians are just like republicans :crazy:
yes just in a more advanced phase of the process

criminalize/marginalize homosexuality ✓
support of overt authoritarianism ✓
unwavering support of an iconic plutocrat ✓
zero real policy other than state power, manifest via military strength ✓
heavily rely on propaganda ✓

Seems pretty straightforward to me

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
yes just in a more advanced phase of the process

criminalize/marginalize homosexuality ✓
support of overt authoritarianism ✓
unwavering support of an iconic plutocrat ✓
zero real policy other than state power, manifest via military strength ✓
heavily rely on propaganda ✓

Seems pretty straightforward to me
Apart from the first item on the list, you've just described an average tankie. Many of my friends, especially from-behind the iron curtain, are right leaning, and not a single item in your list applies to any of them. If you said extreme right wing idiots, then yes. Same applies for extreme left wing idiots as well.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Apart from the first item on the list, you've just described an average tankie. Many of my friends, especially from-behind the iron curtain, are right leaning, and not a single item in your list applies to any of them. If you said extreme right wing idiots, then yes. Same applies for extreme left wing idiots as well.
tankies don't run the gov't

putin and republicans (at times) do. I'm talking about the politcal and gov't institutions, not brian.

The propaganda used by both really are pretty similar. All the russian media links you and others have posted look exactly like fox news/newsmax/oann etc and are using the same tactics to justify hatred and violence.

One of trump's best golf buddies during his presidency was sean hannity. The party works hand in hand with the propaganda news outlets which is what the folks in this thread were referencing primarily.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Someone made a website counting down to when the Crimean bridge will be taken down. Probably just an epic troll, but a good one at that. Coincidentally Ukraine just received weapons with enough range to accomplish this.

I'd been wondering since this started when that bridge would get taken out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
read this

“Did Russia attack Ukraine?” [Editor’s note: in this section, the author’s questions are in italics]
“No. I mean yes, but we didn’t do it first.”

butnevermind.gif

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
“Did Russia attack Ukraine?” [Editor’s note: in this section, the author’s questions are in italics]
“No. I mean yes, but we didn’t do it first.”

View attachment 176051

that piece is somethin eh?

also:

After that guy left, my friend said she knew him. He’s a big wholesale drug dealer who runs his business far away from Moscow so he can lay low. A guy who “Uncle Vova” would only be too happy to put behind bars for 15 years still supported him.

“It’s just because he’s doing so well, he likes things the way they are,” my friend explained.

^^
That is quintessential american political logic right there^^

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
that piece is somethin eh?

also:

After that guy left, my friend said she knew him. He’s a big wholesale drug dealer who runs his business far away from Moscow so he can lay low. A guy who “Uncle Vova” would only be too happy to put behind bars for 15 years still supported him.

“It’s just because he’s doing so well, he likes things the way they are,” my friend explained.

^^
That is quintessential american political logic right there^^

Ooooh, there is a brain quote somewhere that is pretty much identical.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Russian propaganda poster for May 9th
1651784121939.png

Is an American Marine

1651784141648.png

I don't think the Soviets fought back the Nazis under palm trees.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
vietnam & korea were each one them fancy proxy wars to fight teh communisms. So was there ever a USSR presence there?

I know they were suppliers of our made up enemies but mebbe a few showed up? I'm just trying the help the fascists out here and really consider both sides.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There were Soviet advisors on the ground, Soviet operated anti aircraft missiles and a lot of evidence of Soviet pilots flying in Vietnamese uniforms.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
read this

Thank you for posting this. Insecurity, refusal to accept responsibility, insanity and glorification of violence are a lethal cocktail. Sucks to be a russian neighbor or in their cross sights.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thank you for posting this. Insecurity, refusal to accept responsibility, insanity and glorification of violence are a lethal cocktail. Sucks to be a russian neighbor or in their cross sights.
between work and essentials (changing a dirt bike tire) I read it in three sittings today. I'm glad I did because it took some digestion of what I'd just read and there's quite a bit there.

What do you do with a nation of that? I think the answer will apply here soon so it seems important to know. That's the first piece I've seen that really portrays a population that at least in part knows exactly what's going on, but chooses escapism through propaganda, mixed stances etc to just plain not think about it, even if they do have a grasp on reality n the background somewhere. It's seems an only slightly more acute version of the wars the US has engaged in since the 60s and the population that ignored it.

between work and essentials (changing a dirt bike tire) I read it in three sittings today. I'm glad I did because it took some digestion of what I'd just read and there's quite a bit there.

What do you do with a nation of that? I think the answer will apply here soon so it seems important to know. That's the first piece I've seen that really portrays a population that at least in part knows exactly what's going on, but chooses escapism through propaganda, mixed stances etc to just plain not think about it, even if they do have a grasp on reality n the background somewhere. It's seems an only slightly more acute version of the wars the US has engaged in since the 60s and the population that ignored it.
"Escapism through propaganda " drives much of the world today, and probably has since about forever.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

Is it really different than US war propaganda from the 50s until the 2010s?
Vietnam, Afghanistan, Irak... they were all wars for which support was manufactured by propaganda. Very few outside the US saw those wars as "necesary" or defensive.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is it really different than US war propaganda from the 50s until the 2010s?
Vietnam, Afghanistan, Irak... they were all wars for which support was manufactured by propaganda. Very few outside the US saw those wars as "necesary" or defensive.
I did say the answer is relevant to us for a reason ;)

I'd argue that even the afghanistan and iraq invasions couldn't happen to today like they did a few years ago. Lots of cell phones and cameras in the world that weren't there in 2005, much less the 1960s

Personally I think it's pretty disgusting that world tolerates us just because we make kardashians. And we even import those.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Still no confirmation of the ship getting hit. Probably fake, or perhaps the Russian Navy is just trying their hand at old fashioned whaling.

Last edited: