Quantcast

WWIII thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Russians have finally gotten around to some level of strategic competency and have focused all of their efforts in one place and have been making slow but steady progress. Sounds like this is some of the heaviest fighting since WWII.

Meanwhile Germany has been thinking about possibly considering sending heavy armaments in a few months.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I have to wonder if this is just countries offloading old shit that is unlikely to work...

This.
Our government thought about offloading the clapped out LAV's on the Ukrainian's.
Decided against it in the end so they'll probably end up either scrp metal recycling or in some African hell hole in a few years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
"Upgraded" with a garmin 155XL from 25 years ago will show them for sure.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
My old e-trex still works a charm.
Its file format is unsupported and you can not get any maps for it but hey if the base map is good enough, it is still a valid option.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My old e-trex still works a charm.
Its file format is unsupported and you can not get any maps for it but hey if the base map is good enough, it is still a valid option.
I have the 32x for expedition stuff. With lithium AA batteries it lasts for days in continuous operation on one set. The interface sucks and the processor is slow as ****, but it lasts forever. One of the few pieces of outdoor equipment that actually works outdoors because it doesn’t come with dipshit li-ion internal battery.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am one step closer to boycotting anything French.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I am one step closer to boycotting anything French.

It is always good to boycott a whole country becaue you do not like the action of some. :rolleyes: That has never ever lead to hate, racism or anything negative ever. :disgust1:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It is always good to boycott a whole country becaue you do not like the action of some. :rolleyes: That has never ever lead to hate, racism or anything negative ever. :disgust1:
I was waiting for you. Macron is such a shining beacon of leadership and France is failing at properly addressing hate, racism and genocide in Europe, together with your best buddies in Germany.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like russkie propaganda. NATO countries have provided tanks & heavy weapons and gunship helicopters to UA already.
Smells like German waffles. But I assume they are referring to modern western weapons and not older Soviet Block weapons that have already been supplied. Giving Ukraine more modern jets and tanks is a much more complex problem as they are not stand alone weapons, they are part of complex systems that require complex infrastructure to not only maintain but to operate. Things like communications, guidance, targeting and navigation systems not only wouldn't work for Ukraine an may have to be removed to comply with export restrictions.

That whole shit show with Poland not giving Ukraine their old MIGs came down to the fact that Poland had upgraded many of their systems to modern NATO standards, those systems wouldn't have worked for Ukraine and would have had to be removed and somehow returned to soviet spec. Now imagine that same problem with an F-16 or Abrams tanks but with no alternatives to re-fit. So there are actual technical reasons modern weapons cannot be sent and not just political.

Currently the US is "considering sending MLRS" to Ukraine. I doubt this is a political conversation but a technical one to figure out how they can be configured to work for Ukraine and not violate certain export restrictions and weapon proliferation treaties.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Currently the US is "considering sending MLRS" to Ukraine. I doubt this is a political conversation but a technical one to figure out how they can be configured to work for Ukraine and not violate certain export restrictions and weapon proliferation treaties.
I really really hope this is happening because the russkies are shredding Ukrainians to pieces and burning them to crisps with their artillery and missiles. :(

I think I also saw a story about someone supplying UA with Su-25s in a disassembled state.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I was waiting for you. Macron is such a shining beacon of leadership and France is failing at properly addressing hate, racism and genocide in Europe, together with your best buddies in Germany.
While I understand and share your anger, you propagate hate the other way around. The generalization is the issue I have here: if you don't agree with Macron, how does it help to boycott french products? If you do, this just makes them hate you and the vicious cycle continuous.
I have former colleagues that are russian and they tell me that they face hate here in Denmark from people on the street when they hear their accent. They live in Denmark for a reason, so no, they are not Putin's friends. But I guess that is too hard to understand for most people.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I really really hope this is happening because the russkies are shredding Ukrainians to pieces and burning them to crisps with their artillery and missiles. :(

I think I also saw a story about someone supplying UA with Su-25s in a disassembled state.
Yeah sounds like Russia has finally started to show some strategic competency.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My German isn't very good but I translated this as "How can we be the most profitable?"

You are right, your German is really bad. He actually said "Let us help Russia to kill all Ukranians". I guess that is what all here want to hear? ;)
Actually, he is at the congregation of the catholic church in Germany, so announcing the delivery of tanks to the Ukraine there would not get a good response. I read it as he is suggesting to reflect on pacifistic arguments in the context of this. However, he also makes it clear that Germany is supporting Ukraine so that violence does not prevail as a means.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I read it as he is suggesting to reflect on pacifistic arguments in the context of this.
History will not be kind to him. This is about the worst moment to bring up pacifism imaginable.

We in Central and Eastern Europe have been reminded that we live between two states that both want to follow their own unique paths. This is not to suggest that Germany today is anything like Russia, or that Scholz is like Vladimir Putin. Rather, the problem is that Germany’s pacifism is encouraging militarism. By refusing to stand up to the aggressor, Germany has exhibited an astonishing degree of moral desensitization.

But of course, you as a Dane living in the comfortable shadow of mighty Germany have no way of comprehending any of this.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
History will not be kind to him. This is about the worst moment to bring up pacifism imaginable.

We in Central and Eastern Europe have been reminded that we live between two states that both want to follow their own unique paths. This is not to suggest that Germany today is anything like Russia, or that Scholz is like Vladimir Putin. Rather, the problem is that Germany’s pacifism is encouraging militarism. By refusing to stand up to the aggressor, Germany has exhibited an astonishing degree of moral desensitization.
Everybody until now: we are afraid of a strong Germany because it will rule the EU.
Everbody now: where is a strong Germany, we need them to lead!

But what do all these countries that ask for a "strong Germany" really want? If Germany would not be morally desensitized, the governments in Poland, Hungary and some other Eastern European countries would get in serious trouble because of violations of democratic principles and not doing shit about corruption in their countries. The US would have gotten a strong response when it became obvious how much they spy on Germany (including Merkel's cell phone). China's violation of human rights would be a hot topic too (to be fair, no nation is doing anything).

What does "standing up to the aggressor" mean? Sending troops in? Boycott Russian oil? Sure, but currently Hungary and some other Eastern European countries slow that down while Germany would be on board. Stop Russian gas imports? That would be doable but hurt the German economy bad. What do you think all the countries that now harass Germany to go in on this would say if they do not get as much money from the EU because the nation that pays a large part of the bills runs out of money? Would they all want to reduce the subsidies they get to make this happen? No, of course not. Someone else's sacrifice is always the easiest to make.

But of course, you as a Dane living in the comfortable shadow of mighty Germany have no way of comprehending any of this.
I am not of the nationality you think I am, so I can very well comprehend this. ;)

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Until Moscow’s empire is toppled, though, the region—and the world—will not be safe. Nor will Russia. Europe will remain unstable, and Ukrainians and Russians and all of the colonized peoples forced to fight for the Kremlin will continue to die. “There is no way for Russia to move forward with Putin and there is no way for Russia to move forward without addressing its imperial past and present,” the analyst Anton Barbashin recently tweeted. “Give up empire and attempt to thrive or hold [on] to it and continue degrading.”