Quantcast

WWIII thread

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Anyone surprised by this? As long as US companies do business in China, the embargo is largely useless.

Also, anyone surprised by this?
1672870835808.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Anyone surprised by this? As long as US companies do business in China, the embargo is largely useless.

Also, anyone surprised by this?
View attachment 187269
Or Germany, Italy, Denmark...

This was pre 2014 and the days of sanctions but I sold 5 axis CNC controls to a US machine builder. I told them that they needed appropriate licenses to export the machines and said I would report them to the Department of Commerce if I found out that they shipped something without the correct licenses.

They complained that my counterparts from Siemens in Germany offered to help them get around license requirements by configuring the system so it wasn't export restricted ( 3 axis) and would then upgrade the machine in a 3rd party location where licenses weren't required.

There are people all over the world who will violate these rules to make a buck and the suppliers probably know about it and just do enough to keep their hands clean.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Putin wants to mobilize 500,000 more Russians this spring for his meat grinder. They are currently losing about 750 dead per day. On a modern battlefield there are typically 3 severely injured per fatality. At this rate that 500,000 isn't even a 6 month supply.

1673123488146.png

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Soledar... bad. I hope every western politician who is delaying / obstructing delivery of heavy weapons to UKR ends up in a russkie torture room one day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like Ukraine might be getting heavy tanks. I am guessing now that Germany has successfully achieved energy independence from Russia there is less resistance to arming Ukraine. Which is to say, Russia successfully had Germany by the balls via energy.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Looks like Ukraine might be getting heavy tanks. I am guessing now that Germany has successfully achieved energy independence from Russia there is less resistance to arming Ukraine. Which is to say, Russia successfully had Germany by the balls via energy.
Germany hasn't moved yet and essentially every other ally is still holding on to the weird "no MBTs unless its a concerted effort" red line. Same thing with Poland and Finland, they declared they would supply tanks, but only if others (Germany) follow suit. I am more confident it will actually happen now, but I wished we were spared this embarrassing theatre and leaders would work this out in private.

Germany sure as hell sold its testicles across the Wolga, but again, the MBT red line is just weird and I don't think energy independence is the deciding factor here. The country has already delivered HIMARS and and highly effective anti air systems to Ukraine, which have killed plenty of Russians and significantly thwarted their missile and drone war. How anyone can say that tanks are an escalation or exceptionally offensive weapon in the context of what has been delivered to Ukraine by the West is beyond me.

Edit: it becomes even more baffling when you look at how many refurbished former Soviet tanks have been gifted by former Warsaw pact nations, with Czechia in the process of delivering yet another batch.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Looks like it doesn't matter. :mad:

1673483160022.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like it doesn't matter. :mad:

View attachment 187607
When asked about sending heavier weapons to Ukraine last year Biden said it could cause the collapse of NATO, implying a member not only didn't want to provide their weapons but would take their NATO ball and go home if someone else did. And that wouldn't be a country like Hungary who many may like to see leave, but a major partner. I assumed this was Germany, perhaps Turkey but they seem to support Ukraine but want to leverage that as much as possible. So either someone gave up that ultimatum or Poland is calling their bluff.

We have something like 200 Abrams that have recently been retired. As long as the precedence perhaps they can be re-homed.

Rescue tanks.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Edit: it becomes even more baffling when you look at how many refurbished former Soviet tanks have been gifted by former Warsaw pact nations, with Czechia in the process of delivering yet another batch.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hmm. May be more likely and possibly better for Ukraine if the US gave Poland 200 old Abrams to replace 200 old Leopard Poland could give to Ukraine.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
100%. I hope Poland won't need an approval from the German cowards, first.
Scholz already blocked it. Same old pattern, delay and make a fool of themselves and piss of allies for another two weeks only to eventually switch their position. Meeting of the Ukraine contact group is on the 20th, I'd expect a change in position right after that.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just had a rather difficult conversation with my russian/jewish friend who is a US citizen. It is interesting how every russian I've ever met, regardless how sensible and anti-Putin they be, always opens the argument of 'you just should be grateful that we liberated you from the Nazis". :twitch:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Just had a rather difficult conversation with my russian/jewish friend who is a US citizen. It is interesting how every russian I've ever met, regardless how sensible and anti-Putin they be, always opens the argument of 'you just should be grateful that we liberated you from the Nazis". :twitch:

They always seem to forget about the lend / lease and it saving their bacon while they got their own capacity moved and ramped up. Khrushchev himself said that they would not have made it without the US support. Hell even Stalin himself recognized it.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
They always seem to forget about the lend / lease and it saving their bacon while they got their own capacity moved and ramped up. Khrushchev himself said that they would not have made it without the US support. Hell even Stalin himself recognized it.
Besides that, they started the war by attacking Poland alongside Germany. And don't even get me started about Patton having the chance of liberating Prague and saving thousands of lives if it wasn't for fucking Stalin.

Chimp
Mar 23, 2010
Usa should send straight brand new taks to Ukraine, and let Poland have the German crap for themselves. You should realize that Ukraine will lose the war if they will keep lossing people because of shitty outdated equpiment our countries are sending to them.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Usa should send straight brand new taks to Ukraine, and let Poland have the German crap for themselves. You should realize that Ukraine will lose the war if they will keep lossing people because of shitty outdated equpiment our countries are sending to them.

Good lord the amount of ads on that website...

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
After all these insane delays and cowardly actions, the german weapon industry should just die. Why buy a tank that you can't even send to those who need it the most?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

I thought tanks were outdated long ago with how modern warfare has developed and the tools you can use to destroy them?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I thought tanks were outdated long ago with how modern warfare has developed and the tools you can use to destroy them?

Russian tank tactics early in the invasion was outdated, dumb and poorly executed. Not to mention that Ukraine has been given more anti-tank weapons than their are tanks in the world.

From what I understand tanks are supposed to be used as infantry support with fully integrated tactics. You need people in the ground to see what is happening, communicate that to the tank commander and to take out out infantry with anti-tank weapons or calling in artillery. Russians just sent tanks and armour out alone. They can't see shit and were easily destroyed by ATGMs.

So I don't think tanks are obsolete, they just need to be used properly and there are more anti tanks threats than there have been in the past. Even outdated western tanks are far superior than the even more outdated Soviet tanks that the Russians have been using, particularly around optics. You can't kill what you can't see.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle