Quantcast

WWRMD? dealing with a buyer without Paypal.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I wish to sell something to a (newer) monkey here whom I don't really know, and who does not use paypal. Normally I'd say, accept a personal check and ship the the check clears.

He has suggested a Postal money order which I know nothing about.
I want to be reasonable, and also would ship sooner vs later if I can do so safely.

Will I be taking any additional risk by accepting the M.O.?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A real postal money order is the same as cash.

Of course, forgeries can happen, but in order to receive the money order, the guy has to turn over cash to the post office, so it's treated like cash.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, legit money orders are as good as cash, but I don't think you can buy them for over $600. I bought $650 worth of hanebroke fork once and had to ship two $300/$350 money orders to the seller. This was several years ago, but the transaction went fine. Maybe it was COD even...

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Strange, about a year or so ago I got a postal MO and went to the local PO to cash it. They told me they didn't do that; I had to take it to a bank.
Must be new ?
Probably. I've been getting postal M.O.'s for years and this is the first time I've heard about it. If its on the website, it must be true right?

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Explain that you know where he lives, and that there will be no Chrissie Pinney style shenanaigans. If it don't clear, you're coming over with a hammer, a vice grip, a gallon of gas, some pliers and a blow torch.