Quantcast

X.0 or XTR

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
My most recent ride has X.0 rear der. and x.9 triggers,which after a short while I have gotten very used to and comfortable with. my other bikes have basically either XT or XTR components. I am currently planning on building up a new bike and cant decide which drivetrain to go with, I am kind of leaning towards the sram. Id love to hear other peoples opinions and thoughts about them and which they prefer and why. thanks

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
robdamanii said:
If the SRAM works well for you, then I'd say why not go with them on your new ride.
the thing is.. they both work well..... I guess i was just wondering if anyone has had problems with the X.0 or X.9 for that matter... I have only been usuing it for a few months. I have been using XT/XTR for years and I am familiar on how well they work and hold up in the long run

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
TreeSaw said:
I :love: my new SRAM stuff (mine's the X7 shifters and der.)...I would tend to go with SRAM (that's what Sq-Earl and I both run now).

I switched from XTR to X.9, and love it. I tended to have chain suck with the XTR drive train, and none with the X.9.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Have a little of both ;)

XTR cranks, cassette and front der, SRAM chain, rear der. and shifters.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I prefer the way SRAM's stuff works. Seems to require less messing around. But really it just comes down to personal preference.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah I like SRAM better but in the end it's all up to personal feel...I think the 1:1 is better shifting and I prefer SRAM shifters 'cause i only have to use my thumbs :thumb:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
BMXman said:
yeah I like SRAM better but in the end it's all up to personal feel...I think the 1:1 is better shifting and I prefer SRAM shifters 'cause i only have to use my thumbs :thumb:
DITTO

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
Not that I'm an authority but sram almost had me just by the way their der cable connects. shimano has that silly loop whereas with sram the cable goes straight into the der.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Sram:

Better Cable Routing
1:1 ratio
1 Thumb shifting
Aluminum,Carbon, Ti All in one derailure
NOT RAPIDRISE
Better shift feel
New Carbon Cage option

seems to me like its a no brainer, f shimano get the sram

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I hate rapid rise and dual control, and I am tired of expensive, proprietary shimano replacement parts. I just ordered replacement chainrings for my XTR cranks. The big ring alone would be $120 at MSRP. For one ring! Screw that, my next bike will be SRAM. For a long time Shimano had superior shifting and durability but that is no longer the case.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I'm kind of in the same boat. My DH bike has an X0, and my DJ bike has an XTR. In my opinion, I like the Sram a lot more than the Shimano. Additionally, you can actually find Sram products on sale. Shimano, on the hand, is rarely found on sale...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have old school XTR on my DH bike. Only reason I have it is because the bike came with it. The XTR is from 99-00ish era.....pre-rapid rise. The shifter pod is XTR also. Only time I have had trouble is when the cable/housing gets crap in it. New cable and housing and it shifts like the first (OK maybe the second) day I got it. :D 5 years and counting. 3 racing seasons......

I haven't tried the SRAM trigger shifters but the grip shift was a MAJOR negative POS option for me. The rapid fire always meshed better for me. Plastic derailers never really excited me much. I had a buddie snapp 3 in one day at schewitzer.....years back (probably pre X.0 honestly, but what ever SRAMs top of the line derailer at the time was) and that was an expensive day in derailers alone for him. Hopefully they are a little less brittle these days.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I use XT derailiers rather than XTR for the simple reason that they are cheaper to replace when you inevitably eventually destroy them. I also hate the dual control levers. I run XT rapidfire plus with the index trigger cut down and rounded off. As for Sram vs. Shimano - Mweh. Whatever's cheaper eh? Personal preference. I hated the **** out of gripshift (sh1tgrift) though.