Quantcast

X Games in Aspen

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
(no x games thread or did my search fail me?)

My favorite is definitely the cross races (ski and board)... who the fock designed the skier cross track? That last jump puts some serious air under the racers, several of which have left via ambulance. Pretty damn cool tho, glad the racers were conscious and moving around, even if in pain.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Mono-skier-x. Wow.

Some of the falls in skier x were insane. Guy was convulsing until they cut the tape over to freestyle skiing.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That last jump is insane in skier-x. Not sure who's idea it was to freestyle sleds, but that's crazy.

I was flipping around and started watching the Red Bull Last Man Standing in Texas. Bad ass cross country motorcycle race that looks like a total ass kicker.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Mono-skier-x.
One guy finished with a broken ski.

But the best so far was the women's semi-finals were three went down hard, one somehow repositioned in the air to barely avoid and one of the three that went down finished on just one ski. Insanity! :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
That new Freestyle/ Snocross mis is pretty sick, but I still don't really get it.
don't worry, neither did the competitors as the commentators were saying that they were changing tactics and tricks to match what the judges were wanting to see.

I hate judged competitions.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
So, Transcend, maybe you can shed some light on this. Del bosco was listed as being Canadien. I was kind of wondering what has happpend to him since his National title was stripped but I did see him at the Jeep Beaver Creek 4x race on TV.

He had a similar ban in ski racing some years back so I am wondering if he has defected in hopes of representing Canada in 2010 skier X. I am guessing that he does not have citizenship unless he married a canuck...but I doubt that.

**Never mind, I found his bio on espx which kind of explained what I suspected.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not too into the sled competions. Boring. I caught some of the Skiier X when getting pizza post ride, and that was cool.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The Skier Cross was good. The snowmobiles have always been boring. Even the Snowcross races were not all that entertaining.

I just love having a DVR makes watching the X-games so much better fast forwarding through all the filler crap. I think I watched all of todays coverage in just over an hour. Plus it reassures me that making the trip down the road to watch would not have been worth it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Anything judged turns into a snoozer so fast it isn't funny.

Hasn't skiercross been knocking guys over for a few years? They just go too damn fast...

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Didn't the first year they had skier cross really wreak people? I vaguely remember the guys over shooting jumps and landing in the berms they were going so far. The course designers did not realize how much faster the skiers would be going vs snowboards.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Anything judged turns into a snoozer so fast it isn't funny.
When the sports still had progression it was entertaining. But now everyone is doing the exact same tricks. The differences are so subtle it is not entertaining. It does not pay to go for a big risky trick for the competitors anymore.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Trip down I 70 would have been worth it for superpipe in an hour, i can guarantee it.
Yeah superpipe was the only event I was considering going to see.

I-70 I would of only had to jump on a bus down hwy82 for about 25 miles. There is no way in hell I would have found somewhere to park. That is one reason I did not go. It is surprising the amount of locals here that do not go to the X-games because it is a pain to go.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Didn't the first year they had skier cross really wreak people? I vaguely remember the guys over shooting jumps and landing in the berms they were going so far. The course designers did not realize how much faster the skiers would be going vs snowboards.
It wasn't that bad this year, but they were still landing WAY down the trannies. There was some serious carnage.

Am I correct in thinking that they used the same course for skiier and boarder cross? It looks to me like they did that, set up the jumps for the boraders, and then made the trannies stupid long, so that the skiiers could land way, way down them and not die.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
...but I like the TV coverage better than standing there catching glimpses *shrugs*
We were thinking the same thing yesterday as we sat around doing nothing. We considered going up to the games but we knew we would see more on tv.

I am also a horrible spectator. Why watch something when you can be doing it yourself? I just need to get to Copper there Superpipe has 19' walls this year:drool:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I am also a horrible spectator. Why watch something when you can be doing it yourself? I just need to get to Copper there Superpipe has 19' walls this year:drool:
very cool.

But I'd rather run the cross run :D I'd be going about 1/3 the speed of these guys, but I could do it no problem and it looks fun!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
very cool.

But I'd rather run the cross run :D I'd be going about 1/3 the speed of these guys, but I could do it no problem and it looks fun!
:stupid:

Pipes aren't really my thing, but that cross course looks FUN.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I would be all over the cross course, everything but the last jump looked reasonable. It gave me some good ideas for the course I have to build this March.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I would be all over the cross course, everything but the last jump looked reasonable. It gave me some good ideas for the course I have to build this March.
you don't have to hit it hard. Bleed some speed before hand and make it small?

Well, that's what I would do cuz I'm too afraid of blowing another knee.

I have become a big wuss :)

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I am sure things would change once I stood on the lip. I haven't blown my knee out yet so what do I have to lose:twitch:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Still couldn't find it on TV. Canadian TV sucks. Or I suck.

I checked it out online. Just sound and the odd bit of video that would poop out every few seconds. Not worth watching.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I <3 the x games. Winter and summer, but summer more (still pissed that they axed bmx dirt, though). IMO, the x games should get rid of all racing and motorized events. Creativity, expression, and style are what it's all about. Judged events should be judged by the riders.

slopestyle > super pipe
skis > snowboards

I think it's silly that snowboard pipe has basically just turned into a spinning contest. At least with the skis, they can throw in some variations that actually look different.