X-Games Needs MTB!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

slang

Monkey
Apr 20, 2005
for those of you that are STILL admant at having mtn. biking slopestyle in x-games, pick up a bmx video. pretty much any bmx video.

mtn. biking slopestyle is a very young and immature industry. name me the top 5 slopestyle riders, then look into their history and find out whether they used to ride bmx.

mtn. biking should stay out of the x-games. at least for the next few years. i like my trails the way they are, undestroyed by 503925823 groms.

slang

Monkey
Apr 20, 2005
lovebunny said:
yeah the teens can relate to bmx more because their parents cant see the point in spending 2k on an entry level dh bike when you can get a top of the line bmx bike for 500.
but on the other hand, the general audience finds mtn. biking more impressive because pretty much everyone owns/has ridden a 26" bike, so they personally know how difficult it is to do the **** we do on mtn. bikes.

whereas it's logical, a 20" is more manauverable, easier to spin, is regarded as a 'trick' bike etc... most people will figure that out, so they'll find a backfliip or 360 on a mountain bike far more amazing than on a bmx.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
everyone in here is focused on the negative "if it gets into x games a million people will ruin our sport and my trails" how many skate parks are there now compared to before the x games hit? LOTS!
maybe if the sport could be involved in x we could see more places pop up becaue more riders would create demand?

that being said, i'm just going to enjoy our little sport how it is for now. i really doubt it will be in x games.....long time ago when we did mtb on the snow, my buddy Blick got me to meet the main guy who created x games....his take was they already have way to many bike sports.
gravity games was into it, went on 2 potential site inspections for them when it was in Rhode Island, the remote site dosen't make sense $ wise...it's the same reason that downhill bmx is not in the games, live tv from a remote site is hard to cut back and forth to.

ramps in the stands sounds good but thats money lost in a couple ways....it cost a load to build, it's less seats to sell, and i would bet it would increase the insurance cost.

Sep 10, 2001
BC is dead on the money in regards to costs of the remote location.. I was at the last DH BMX race at Woodward West.. I don't have any exact #'s, but if you saw the set up, it was $$$. And to top it off, Woodward West is just west of the middle of nowhere... No real crowds and about 2 1/2 hours from the rest of the events.

As for people realizing that the tricks are harder on a MTB, John Q SixPack at home will never know how hard it is... The only way you know is if you do.

Brian

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd dig up my post from last year when this came up, but I'm a little too lazy to do so and apparently so are most of you. What it comes down to is ESPN marketing whatever the trendy sport of the moment is. For the last 10 years or so skateboarding has been the "core" sport for kids 12-16 years old. It makes sense to have a couple of competitions geared toward skate events because the fan base is huge compared to stuff like street luge, how many people do you know who street luge? Comparing MTB to skate is a closer comparison but then you have to look at the actual viewers, I haven't watched a single X games event in a few years, I'm too busy working, on the other hand the high school kid next door has nothing to do in the afternoon but sit in front of the tube listening to some crudely fabricated slang spouted by an ex-hippie who scored high in test ratings. When mountain biking comes on, that kid would probabally change the channel to watch the latest chopper show on the Discovery channel because that's what "rebels" do. (Yeah, all the cool kids watch the Discovery channel.)

I've got no explanation for the MX garbage, to me it's just as boring as watching MTB is to Frasier. Oooh, a back flip, oooh a no hander, oooh a no hander ball scratcher... But there is something to be said about the amplitude of the tricks, getting 25 feet of air above the stadium floor over a 60 foot double is impressive, even if you just do something simple like a whip or a table.

What it comes down to is MTB isn't something that is popular among the non-working population, and the X Games are geared toward that population.

Looking back at the kids I knew in school, the skaters and MXers all turned out to be mediocre at best when it comes to supporting themselves or the community. On the other hand most of us would fall into the category of 1 notch above the kids who were playing Dungeons and Dragons back in high school. I don't think that's such a bad thing though, I know plenty of mountain bikers who have gone into higher education, mostly engineering. Mountain bikers in general are active in some social cause, rather preserving public access to public land, politics, church organizations, mentoring, Boy Scouts, charity rides, trail work, etc. I can't say the same about any of the skaters and certainly not of the MXers, they're more into destroying property and breaking laws either with or without their board or bike. Generally mountain bikers are more motivated to help the community, rather that's a cause or effect I'm not going to argue but I do see a casual correlation. I wouldn't really want to consider myself a mountain biker if the majority of all mountain bikers behaved the way the punk kids do around here pushing around their skateboards and swearing at old ladies.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Ciaran said:
The less people on the trails the better.
Thats kind of how I feel. Right now, everyone isn't a mountain biker. There are so many MX'ers for example. It is kind of cool that mountain biking is this way. I think progression of the sport is very important, but being more a minorty sport than others, it, in a way seems more distinct and pure. Mountainbiking seemed even more so like this 5 years ago. This has its advantages and disadvantages.

I think mountain biking is on a fine path already w/o being in the X-games. A larger population of mountain bikers could possibly improve things such as trail acces issues (by maybe obtaining/building mtb specific areas), but it could also cause huge problems. Picture way too many kids riding tunnel trail every day:dead:. I think this would make problems such as the SB trail issues much worse.

Not everyone knows about mountain biking right now- this is good and/or bad depending on different peoples' opinions.

cirKus

Monkey
It is a touchy subject. Fine line to draw. Coming from a cross-country backgroud, then having a ton-o-fun my my freeride bike, I like to keep my trails the way they, publicity is real good if it's done correctly. I would like to see a slopestyle comp in there somewhere, give some opportunity for more ski areas to allow bikes in the summer, and keep the cross-crounty trails relativily wild, so to speak.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
the Inbred said:
i can't believe that snow mobile stuff is so popular. they look so clumsy and slow.

Yeah, it does on TV, but it's not really, and it's a pretty big sport up in the northern part of the country.