Quantcast

X Games No Helmets

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Each year many drivers suffer brain injuries as a result of car accidents. Brain injuries are the fourth leading cause of death in the US, and the leading cause of death in people under 40 years of age. Just as the rest of the body is susceptible to bruising and breaking, the brain too can endure serious trauma.

It is estimated that nearly 500,000 head injuries are sustained each year in the United States, at a rate of about 200 per 100,000. These statistics involve injury victims who have been admitted to a hospital. A recent study has suggested that all head injuries (both unreported and reported) total nearly 8 million annually across the country.
Now STFU.
a .002 percent chance I will get a head injury? Hmmm, what's the best auto helmet?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
a .002 percent chance I will get a head injury? Hmmm, what's the best auto helmet?
Plus most severe injuries and over half the fatalities in auto accidents are not wearing seatbelts so most of the safety systems found even in modern cars have limited to no effect if equipped (airbags, active head restraints, crumple zones, high strength steel, etc).

People who don't wear seatbelts are just as dumb as those who don't wear helmets.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it gets so hot in my car though, and the seatbelt chafes my neck.

I feel like a prick, but I watched that sk8er b0i land on his neck and I had hoped it was a few inches higher, he would have been carted off. Not that I wish badly upon him in particular, but these idiots are riding at 100% of their skill level and not wearing any protective gears, and it's not like they're doing flatland with some friends at the park- they're competing at the highest level on some serious ramps. I know every one of them can ride or skate or whatever extremely well, but that doesn't cover the 1% of the time when you screw up or the music is too loud or the flash goes off or whatever the X factor is that makes you wreck.

I think the worst was seeing the BMX trick competition in the mini park, none of the riders wore helmets...

Just set the damn example for the sal masekela crowd, then ride without one your own, un-observed time. I sure won't contribute to the "Grom-dom jacked himself up, please donate to cover his medical bills" fund. Enjoy eating out of a straw for the rest of your lives!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i think the should be wearing a helmet. they should set a good example for kids who are undoubtedly going to try the "extreme" moves the pros are doing and wind up being on the show Scarred.
i think Andy McDonald was the only pro skater that wore a helmet during the street comp.

but then again if they dont wear helmets, itll help keep me entertained while watching Scarred.