Quantcast

X games...or how anything judged turns lame.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ok, so I'm flipping around tonight, and I see the X Games is on. Click over and they are doing BMX vert. Snooze. Flip away, come back, and it's motocross tricks. Whatever.

Has anyone else noticed that EVERY judged sport turns into figure skating after a couple of years, where all the competitors do the same stuff and little tiny nitpick things are picked up by commentators and judges?

It happened to skiing, it happened to surfing, it happened to snowboarding, it happens to everything with a judge. Bah!

(The X Games is also inherently evil with the STOKED BRO GNARLY commentators they have. Ughhh...)

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
did you see Pastrana's double back flip?

If that doesn't get you stoked, Jesus hates you

Edit: It happens with everything at the top level though. WC DH races are seperated by thousanths of a sec. In F1 or Indy or NASCAR just a little advantage get you a win.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yeah, a guy goes around twice.

Like I said, it reminds me of freestyle skiing. Four times with three twists. Who cares?

I still love timed events. The clock has no mercy...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Silver said:

Like I said, it reminds me of freestyle skiing. Four times with three twists. Who cares?

I still love timed events. The clock has no mercy...

I could say the same thing for timed events. A guy goes the same stretch of track the same way the guy before him, just a second faster.....WOOHOO!!!!1!!

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
chicodude said:
I could say the same thing for timed events. A guy goes the same stretch of track the same way the guy before him, just a second faster.....WOOHOO!!!!1!!
i disagree. have you ever seen for instance nico's line as compared to most other riders? i know whenever i go to races i see lots of different lines being used

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
lovebunny said:
i disagree. have you ever seen for instance nico's line as compared to most other riders? i know whenever i go to races i see lots of different lines being used

But that's just Nitpicking. They are pretty much doing the same thing, just with little variations...No?

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
I caught the motocross stuff when I was flipping throught the channels, it seemed to me that they were all doing different things even though most of the stuff they were doing was based off of a backflip. For example backflip landing with no hands, backflip superman, and double backflip, they're all based off of the backflip but they are very different tricks. Although i don't liked judged events because winners are picked based off of a the 2 or 3 judges personal opinions, the people competing are not all doing the same tricks.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I will watch skating [on boards with four wheels] all day long. Judged or not.

I just turn the volume off.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
chicodude said:
did you see Pastrana's double back flip?

If that doesn't get you stoked, Jesus hates you

Edit: It happens with everything at the top level though. WC DH races are seperated by thousanths of a sec. In F1 or Indy or NASCAR just a little advantage get you a win.

Travis' double backflip was incredible. He couldn't have done it any better--the flips looked controlled and the landing was perfect. I'll be there tomorrow for the Supermoto and the FMX finals...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
blt2ride said:
Travis' double backflip was incredible. He couldn't have done it any better--the flips looked controlled and the landing was perfect. I'll be there tomorrow for the Supermoto and the FMX finals...

Yea, It was pretty insane. He is not human

KaTooMer

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Illinois
Silver said:
....motocross tricks. Whatever.
That's what they probably say about our p!ssy little sport too. When Pastrana did a Superman seat grab with Indian air in 1999, I nearly crapped my pants. Ditto last night with the double. The only person in the world who doesn't have an excuse to be excited about that is his mother.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
stevew said:
I just turn the volume off.

This is the only sensical way one can even halfway enjoy the X games.

Judged events have always sucked way before the X games came along. I can't tell you how many items I have thrown at a TV after watching boxing.
Judges Lie, the clock does not.
I still like seeing some of the stuff that cats like Pastrana can pull, but I don't put too much stock in any judged event.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the x-games is a joke. it's all just one big commercialized hype machine. i'm kind of curious who will get more coverage during the rally race, mcrae or pastrana?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
Silver said:

:mumble: to flip a 250 pound machine twice is ****ing raw, quit bitching, thowing 1080's is raw also, ur just as bad as those ****ing judges, yawning at amazin ****, pssh, go bitch about something else:mad:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SteezyWeezy said:
:mumble: to flip a 250 pound machine twice is ****ing raw, quit bitching, thowing 1080's is raw also, ur just as bad as those ****ing judges, yawning at amazin ****, pssh, go bitch about something else:mad:
You have to remember the machines have engines...not to say I could do it...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well...i have to say...seeing McCrae roll the car after the jump was kind of cool. i bet Pastrana is annoying as **** when he gets drunk.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
pastrana's double backflip was so badass.
that there is no way any judge would be worthy of critiquing it.
only his peers could be worthy of that role.

that's and automatic double throwdown victory.

they should now rename the trophy
"the pastrana cup"

like him or not.
the guy's a natural for just about anything he seems to put his mind to.

the double flair in the bike vert comp. was another manuever that rewrote what's possible on a biycycle.

it's worth sitting through all the hype and b.s. just to see those two manuevers.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
I Are Baboon said:
I just watched the double backflip at espn.com. That was frikkin nuts.
did he not ahnialate that thing ?
and stuck the livin daylights out of the landing.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
SteezyWeezy said:
Keep working hard. You'll be a busboy someday with insight like that...

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Props to Travis for landing that. I know he has wanted that in comp for quite sometime. If you ever visit his house, you'll know where he got all the practice to pull this off.
As far as people complaining about it, it doesnt bother me. I'd rather put in the effort and be the one doing it rather then complaining about it.
Here it is

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Sigh...go back and reread the first post.

I'm not bagging on the individual athletes. I'm bagging on the structure of the competition. How many of you are old enough to remember the first figure skaing quad jump? (Now I'll bag on some of the athletes) Next year, someone else will have a double backflip too. Maybe Deegan will land on his head...

Pastrana is cool and everything, but can he stop carting his mom around? It was cute when he was 15. Now it's weird.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i found the double backflip..dude he made it look sooo smooth.he was going to try it last year but then got laid out before he could attempt it..it was so quick spinning, it looks easy..
double vackflip
triple tailwhip..i love how he tries a frontflip afterward
sad to say i couldn't find the double flair

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Silver said:
Sigh...go back and reread the first post.

I'm not bagging on the individual athletes. I'm bagging on the structure of the competition. How many of you are old enough to remember the first figure skaing quad jump? (Now I'll bag on some of the athletes) Next year, someone else will have a double backflip too. Maybe Deegan will land on his head...

Pastrana is cool and everything, but can he stop carting his mom around? It was cute when he was 15. Now it's weird.

God I wish we still had rep. Douche.