Quantcast

X-mas eve dinner

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I am so looking forward to Christmas eve. Great family , friends, spirits and of course dinner. I am not too sure how everyone else does it, but being Italian and from Brooklyn, we have all fish for dinner!!! Yummie not just fish, many types of fish.
we start with shrimp cocktail and anitpasto, mozzerella/peppers etc.
then we move on to linguine with vongul clams <the tiny tiny ones>, and slipper tails <tiny lobster tails>
we also have mussels in red sauce and white sauce

then comes the main meal:
shrimp w/ Broccolli Rabe
shrimp parm
baked clams on the half shell
wild salmon
fish fillet
Fried Calamari
Calamari in red sauce
plenty of food for everyone!!! i am so hungry just thinking about it. I cant wait until sat night!!!!!

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

so what does everyone else eat??

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ha, I do the Polish Catholic Christmas Eve dinner.
Do you wait for the first star to appear?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
my family is all southern so we go with a table loaded with traditional fixins and ham and turkey. we will probably all drink until we are hammered.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
We usually eat a pretty traditional American dinner, a bird, stuffing, various veggies, potatos, etc. Growing up, we always ate fresh goose for Christmas eve dinner, which was pretty delicious. Past couple years we've been doing turkey since we drive up to my grandmother's house and there doesn't seem to be a good place to acquire fresh goose around there.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Here's the invitation to the Xmas party I am attending

We're looking forward to seeing ya's this Saturday, December 24th around 7pm. Pajamas strongly encouraged. We'll eat some dinner, and play secret santa, so bring a small wrapped gift and see what you wind up with. Of course there will be drinking and smoking of weed as well. Just like baby Jesus would've wanted.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
we usually mix it up for xmas/xmas eve with no set menu. xmas eve is usually potluck, we do some sort of pasta, manacoti/ziti/lazanga/etc, cold cuts, maybe a roast beef, buff wings, etc. xmas day weve done rack of lamb, chicken francais, pheasant, and a bunch of other crap. this year my dad got another deer, so its going to be bambi with some chicken for people who dont like the deer. he almost chopped his finger off last night cutting it up. quick run to the ER after he finished. :eek:
i think hes gotten more deer this year with his truck than the last 10 with his gun

Dinner is not the thing, we are big into xmas cookies, thats what i look forward too; sugar cookies, peanut blossoms, nut rolls, german bonbons. hot damn, im getting hungry just thinking about it

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
its probably because we have hadChristmas eve dinner at my moms house for the past 30 years, but I look forward to christmas eve a lot more than christmas day

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Let's see.... we'll start x-mas eve day at my moms place, or my grandmas place... tamales and other such fare. Then it's on to San Diego to have x-mas eve dinner with the in-laws which should be traditional turkey and ham and all that. The next morning we'll drive back in to L.A. to spend some time with my dad. Too much beer and wine and traditional turkey and ham again, maybe some tamales depending on what the aunts have decided. All in all it should be a ton of fun (aside from the driving)! :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We usually have ham, potatos and all the fixings at my folks house and then a pot luck at my in-laws (including lasagne, meatloaf, etc.) I always bring the homemade cheesecake for dessert and there are plenty of cookies to snack on as well :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
TreeSaw said:
We usually have ham, potatos and all the fixings at my folks house and then a pot luck at my in-laws (including lasagne, meatloaf, etc.) I always bring the homemade cheesecake for dessert and there are plenty of cookies to snack on as well :D
I loooooooooooove cheesecake! :drool: You and your cheesecake can come to my house for x-mas anytime! :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
That just sounds F'ing weird!
i ate at a russian restaurant last week, and one of the recommended combinations was sour cream, honey, and pickles.

it was surprisingly tasty.

my mom used to have boiled shrimp and the like for christmas eve apps, but i've never set on anything in particular.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
hooples3 said:
shrimp w/ Broccolli Rabe
shrimp parm
baked clams on the half shell
wild salmon
fish fillet
Fried Calamari
Calamari in red sauce
plenty of food for everyone!!! i am so hungry just thinking about it. I cant wait until sat night!!!!!

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

so what does everyone else eat??
All of the above, minus the salmon, plus the sandshark.
Buon Natale, Hooples!
-Mackie (another Brooklyn Italian).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yossarian said:
If it makes you feel better, Stosh, We used to eat pierogi for Christmas eve dinner
Yep I eat Perogies at Christmas too.

That does make me feel better! Yummie I can't wait till Saturday night.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Christmas will be standard bird and stuffing. Christmas eve I will be going to a friends house for a semi-traditional Polish dinner. I'm not looking forward to the first course, some soup whose main ingredients are vinegar and beets. Everything else is great.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
stosh said:
Yep I eat Perogies at Christmas too.

That does make me feel better! Yummie I can't wait till Saturday night.

I'll be eating some Pierogies on Christmas Eve too Stosh - Laura's family is Polish. I LOVE Pierogies!! (Did I spell that right?)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
I'll be eating some Pierogies on Christmas Eve too Stosh - Laura's family is Polish. I LOVE Pierogies!! (Did I spell that right?)
So you're going to break the Oplatick?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
caboverpete said:
I will once again being doing the Christmas Eve with the in-laws thing. Hillbilly oyster fry with 21 of the most annoying humans on earth.
Damn!! I'm sorry to hear that. Just laugh at them, thats what I do.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
It that is the dry flat unleavened cracker thingy - then yes we will be doing that.
Thats totally awesome man!!!
We do that too!!!
I always enjoy that dinner even though I only eat the perogies.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
caboverpete said:
The best part is all the men hunt, fish and love football.... except me, I ride bikes and play with computers so you can imagine the great conversations I get to have with the "guys"
Yeah I'm not much of a sports fan so I hate when people put me on the spot with a question.
I used to work for a contracting company and anytime we would be out on a job in the fall and someone would bring in a fresh kill we would all huddle around and look at it for about 1/2hr. It was kind of strange....I was just happy to not be working.