Quantcast

X-post -- automatic thumbnail generation

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
This topic was brought up about long page loads for photo threads. It would be a nice addition to the site to have automatic thumbnail generation put into all threads to help promote page load times. :lighten:

-I don't know if its too late, but I would like to suggest that all of the pictures that are posted in the "2008 season photos" thread be coded as thumbnails. I know on some forums this is actually done automaticly..

It's just that Im on DSL and it still takes a bit to load those monster pictures, and it gets a bit annoying when you want to see the new pictures and have to wait for the whole page to load.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I use PhotoBucket and regularly choose the clickable-thumbnail option, even if it annoys some people, it's a great way to keep a thread clean and fast.

However, there are a few times where I prefer to have my img kept large and what you're asking sounds like a site-wide auto-replace... that means that every photo would be shrunk down. Not sure if that's a good idea for the entire site.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Photos are thumbnailed if they are uploaded as attachments, and the gallery thumbnails and includes the code for the thumbnails. I can't control what kind of photos are embedded from photo host sites, and if I could I'm not sure it would be a popular decision to force everything into thumbnail mode.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Ok.. like I said, it was only a suggestion..

Is it possible to apply to individual threads?

The reason I ask is because the diablo forum 2008 Season Photo thread will, by the end of the season, be 30+ pages with huge images, that are impossible to navigate through.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Ok.. like I said, it was only a suggestion..

Is it possible to apply to individual threads?
The kind of image embedded needs to be the choice of the person posting the photo. Your best bet would be to ask the people who posted the images to post the thumbnail versions.