Quantcast

X-post from DH forum: help me choose a trail bike - Giant Reign vs. Enduro SL

Discussion in 'Cross Country, All Mountain & Trail Riding' started by dexterq20, Mar 4, 2008.

1. dexterq20

dexterq20 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 1
    Time for me to get a bike I can pedal. I've narrowed it down to the Giant Reign 0 and the Specialized Enduro SL Expert (aluminum frame, not carbon), both with pretty much custom specs.

On the Reign, I'd be swapping the fork for a 36 Talas, which will give it about a 68 degree head angle (as opposed to 69 degrees with the stock fork).

I would buy the Specialized as a frame/fork and then build it up from there.

The Reign will initially cost me about $800 more than the Enduro SL out of pocket, but hopefully I'd be able to sell all of the parts that I swap out, which would then make it about $400 less than the Enduro SL.

The Enduro SL would be simpler because I wouldn't have to swap a ton of parts, but I'm still not 100% confident in the Specialized forks and shocks (although they come with a 5-year warranty now).

From what I've found online and in some magazines, the Reign has gotten some pretty stellar reviews, where the Enduro SL has not been as widely praised.

I have no clue which bike would be lighter, but I'm looking to get something around 30lbs.

Please share any thoughts, suggestions, and experiences with either bike. Thanks.

#1 -   Mar 4, 2008

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    59 / 706
    See My post in teh DH forum

#2 -   Mar 5, 2008
  3. Biffff

Biffff Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I think the SL is too DH, you should buy the Reign for its steep head angle!!!!!!!!

Cheers

#3 -   Mar 5, 2008
  4. TreeSaw

TreeSaw Mama Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    41 / 428
    I would recommend the Reign. I had the opportunity to try out a Reign X and it was a great bike that I think you will be happy with. I haven't tried the Specialized, but I have ridden a few and they were ok, but nothing steller and I would definitely want the fox fork & shocks over the specialized ones...I really have had wonderful results with my fox parts!

#4 -   Mar 5, 2008
  5. Wumpus

Wumpus makes avatars better

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 153
    I have an 08 Trance X. Only have four or so rides on it, but I'm very impressed with the maestro setup. Feels a lot lighter on the trails than it's 30.5 lbs would suggest. Climbs great.

Loco rides a 06 reign and really likes it except for the weight. Probably not the best choice for a Texas trail bike.:busted:

#5 -   Mar 6, 2008