Quantcast

X-post from DH forum: help me choose a trail bike - Giant Reign vs. Enduro SL

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Time for me to get a bike I can pedal. I've narrowed it down to the Giant Reign 0 and the Specialized Enduro SL Expert (aluminum frame, not carbon), both with pretty much custom specs.

On the Reign, I'd be swapping the fork for a 36 Talas, which will give it about a 68 degree head angle (as opposed to 69 degrees with the stock fork).

I would buy the Specialized as a frame/fork and then build it up from there.

The Reign will initially cost me about $800 more than the Enduro SL out of pocket, but hopefully I'd be able to sell all of the parts that I swap out, which would then make it about $400 less than the Enduro SL.

The Enduro SL would be simpler because I wouldn't have to swap a ton of parts, but I'm still not 100% confident in the Specialized forks and shocks (although they come with a 5-year warranty now).

From what I've found online and in some magazines, the Reign has gotten some pretty stellar reviews, where the Enduro SL has not been as widely praised.

I have no clue which bike would be lighter, but I'm looking to get something around 30lbs.

Please share any thoughts, suggestions, and experiences with either bike. Thanks.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I think the SL is too DH, you should buy the Reign for its steep head angle!!!!!!!!

Cheers

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I would recommend the Reign. I had the opportunity to try out a Reign X and it was a great bike that I think you will be happy with. I haven't tried the Specialized, but I have ridden a few and they were ok, but nothing steller and I would definitely want the fox fork & shocks over the specialized ones...I really have had wonderful results with my fox parts!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I have an 08 Trance X. Only have four or so rides on it, but I'm very impressed with the maestro setup. Feels a lot lighter on the trails than it's 30.5 lbs would suggest. Climbs great.

Loco rides a 06 reign and really likes it except for the weight. Probably not the best choice for a Texas trail bike.:busted: