Quantcast

X-POST: Snowboard Questions

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Because nobody goes into the snow specific forum:

Alright, here goes. I am not new to snowboarding, and I am a pretty decent rider who has been riding for around 4 years. The thing is, I have never owned my own board because I really don't get up to the mountains that much so it would not be worth it. This season I am going to be going up alot more and I wanna get my own board. So, the question is, for someone who is 5"7", 130 pounds, roughly what size should I be looking for in a board. I like to ride basically everything... so I need a board that will work well in a range of conditions. In addition, any suggestions on relativly cheap but quality boards/boots/bindings?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The Kadvang said:
Because nobody goes into the snow specific forum:

<snip>In addition, any suggestions on relativly cheap but quality boards/boots/bindings?
As with skiing - demo as many as you can, then get the one you like. What someone else likes in a board is very unlikely to be what you like in a board.

Of course - I don't snowboard, so YMMV.

Oh - and for cheap, go used.

-S.S.-

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Check out REI-outlet.com for deals. I got a new pair of Burton Mission bindings last winter for $80 from them. Their selection can be hit-or-miss though.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
SkaredShtles said:
Living in Fayetteville, AR......... let's just say your opinions on this subject are suspect. :rolleyes: :D

-S.S.-
I dunno i'm only like 12 hrs from Keystone/Breck/WP and i could own you in skiing. :p

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Actually, i'm alright at skiing but you probably own me skared. IAB, i actually snowboard every once in a while, like last week in Whistler i skied 5 days and boared 1. I just have more fun on skis.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
Both are fun. Why limit yourself to one or the other?
Because with a limited number of days on the hill, it would be a waste of my time to try to get into yet *another* thing......

Besides, I can't fathom how I'd ever have more fun on a snowboard. This little video clip illustrates why skiing (for me) is better on a given day:

http://www.jacksonhole.com/movies/012702.mov

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Sherpa said:
Actually, i'm alright at skiing but you probably own me skared. IAB, i actually snowboard every once in a while, like last week in Whistler i skied 5 days and boared 1. I just have more fun on skis.
Here are a couple pictures of some fun conditions a few years back at Mary Jane:

Attachments

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Should i get some Atomic Tweak/Stomps or some Volkl Karma? I'm rockin some Volkl Vertigo G2 now but they don't like being pushed hard or jumps/tricks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Sherpa said:
Should i get some Atomic Tweak/Stomps or some Volkl Karma? I'm rockin some Volkl Vertigo G2 now but they don't like being pushed hard or jumps/tricks.
I have no idea what you are talking about.........

I'm skiing on a pair of Dynastar X8s from about 1997.

I don't like jumps and tricks. There is too much pow and steeps out here to bother with tricks........ :p

-S.S.-

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
SkaredShtles said:
I have no idea what you are talking about.........

I'm skiing on a pair of Dynastar X8s from about 1997.

I don't like jumps and tricks. There is too much pow and steeps out here to bother with tricks........ :p

-S.S.-
Dude, get with technology. I'll sell you my Volkl Vertigo G2s w/ Marker bindings for $300.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Nice looking video. That's exactly why I snowboard. I'm in it for the pow, tree runs, and tech stuff. Even hitting up Jane is pretty fun from time to time as long as the moguls aren't solid blocks of ice. :p Believe it or not, on New Years last year, and the year before the conditions at Breck looked almost exactly like that. Especially early in the morning when nobody's there cuz they're all sleeping and hungover. :D I'm hoping for the same thing on Saturday.:)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
COmtbiker12 said:
Nice looking video. That's exactly why I snowboard. I'm in it for the pow, tree runs, and tech stuff.<snip>
See - it's a very illustrative video. My favorite part of skiing, bar none, is the face shot. Skiing *in* the snow so deeply that every turn results in snow billowing up in my face. Something like:

:thumb:

-S.S.-

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You people disturb me.

I went skiing thursday in sweet sweet brand new powder at the local resort (Beaver Mountain...laugh it up). How can anyone NOT love powder skiing?

I have fallen in love with my season rental Salomon 1080s...twintipped...oh yes... :thumb: