Quantcast

<x~x>Sundaygetupalreadygmt<x~x>

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I hate tax law that it written to benefit .01% of the population to the absolute detriment of the rest of the population. I'm in the range of society where it makes sense for me to think about having a trust for forward planning. It will save my family nothing at the end of the day, but make legal process easier.

Example: Let's say you have $3mm of AAPL stock in a non-retirement account. You want to diversify it, so that you aren't at total risk to AAPL. You set up a Charitable Remainder Income Trust (CRIT) and move all of the funds there. Depending on how much you intend on distributing in your lifetime (you can do a jt life, single life, or up to 25yrs), you can take a taxable write-off of up to 75% of that amount. Because that money is now in a charitable trust (that you control), you can now trade the investments with no capital gains tax. And you can decide to distribute oh... 10% per year. But what about your kids? They will be upset that you're not giving them their inheritance! Not to worry! Just setup an Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust (ILIT) for $3mm. You can use part of the $300k/yr you are distributing from the CRIT to pay for the $5mm insurance policy up front and just pay the gift tax on that smaller amount. Because the ILIT is no longer part of your trust, since it's irrevocable, it will not impact your lifetime gift/estate tax, allowing you to transfer $5mm to your kids for (after the CRIT deduction and ILIT transfer) for ~+$250k to you. You literally just made money out of thin air by setting up trusts properly. You only need a couple of million dollars to start with. Sure, the trusts might have cost you $25k, but who the fuck cares? You just made $250k.

That's what I'm getting at.
I get it, and I agree (athough I don't entirely understand the details). I'm just being a mildly sarcastic ass.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Cops called. My car was found. They said it looks okay except for missing plates.
Go over the interior with a black light eh

I skied with my eldest. Two hours, 8k vert. Hit some sweet jumps and improved her carving

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well my week of non-COVID (six fucking tests) bizarre headache and fever seems to be over...a ride was possible and I am apparently able to function med-free.

Got a rider out who hadn't been on an MTB in 18 years which was fun. Trying to get this Canfield sold to someone smaller than me...not gonna argue about my ulterior motives...)

But can we all pause to give a moment of respect (tm) to these Time Aliums, my first quality clipless pedals? Never maintained, just ridden and beaten and beaten for more than 20 years, and still smooth as silk and clippy as ever. That's a quality fucking product.

IMG_20230107_164151068_HDR.jpg

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
…and the plates were off the bumpers, but in the car. Looks like they mostly took the stereo and maybe the speakers (missing door panels but I didn’t look for the speakers).

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Well my week of non-COVID (six fucking tests) bizarre headache and fever seems to be over...a ride was possible and I am apparently able to function med-free.

Got a rider out who hadn't been on an MTB in 18 years which was fun. Trying to get this Canfield sold to someone smaller than me...not gonna argue about my ulterior motives...)

But can we all pause to give a moment of respect (tm) to these Time Aliums, my first quality clipless pedals? Never maintained, just ridden and beaten and beaten for more than 20 years, and still smooth as silk and clippy as ever. That's a quality fucking product.

View attachment 187465

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

View attachment 187465
Nice. I just threw out my very first pair of atacs yesterday. I managed to wear through the spring clip on one side of the right pedal - almost exactly like you are just about to do on the lower pedal in your picture. Rode and raced those pedals on three continents.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Cut a hole in the side of my house and installed a new gas exhaust on the new gas stove. Last thing is getting the LP guy over here for a new regulator and re-routing the gas line. Then I can leak test the gas valve and get some heat that isnt coming from my electric furnace.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Bicycles ridden, drove to the bottom of the mountain with hardtails on the rack. Bicycled up the road back to home and swapped onto the fat bikes for the descent back down to the car. DH trail conditions are still running good despite the warmer weather to the extent that the strava says I PR'd a couple of sections as the snow has filled in all the rocky chunk so you're just blowing through it. Mucho fun.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
hell of windstorm last night. Been cleaning up blow down in the yard. Glad I moved the camper out to the front driveway. This branch came down from high up in the redwood and would have punched a hole in the camper roof if it had still been in the side yard.
20230108_132040.jpg

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
finally struggled through my peer review. Very challenging to professionally say you don't enjoy working with somebody else's direct report.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
didn't get on the trainer, but I am almost climbing 5.8 again. also started pasta sauce with last summers San marzanos (which had been in the chest freezer since harvest). cheesesteaks and the eagles game. Lego castle building time after the game.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
finally struggled through my peer review. Very challenging to professionally say you don't enjoy working with somebody else's direct report.
I used to have a problem with this until I had a few shitty coworkers that made my professional life a living hell.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Skiing was cold... and soft. Took the youngest to the Chutes because they were open and he wanted to hit 'em. I really should get some shorter skis for that shit.

Consumed spicy tuna nachos and Baja fish and shrimp tacos. Then spent 2.5 hours in Hell. Home now and super-knackered.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Winped out on riding today - non stop rain all day. Pulled a bunch of fence posts out of the ground with the wife instead. Not a euphemism; just an extremely satisfying task!

Also walked around neighbor’s property with him and discussed options for conserving / restoring his native oaks.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I used to have a problem with this until I had a few shitty coworkers that made my professional life a living hell.
On my end it probably sounds much worse than it is- our interactions are minimal because of her attitude and I prefer to keep it that way. Still, I get along with 99% of the company and she's in the 1%. Other manager asked me for feedback, so this is it.