Quantcast

Xbox 360 and a total HD newb

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So my girlfriend and I just picked up a retarded deal on a HDTV...a 42" 1080P westinghouse jiggitygig. I don't know the model number, I don't care if it's not the best, we picked it up for $100 from her extremely generous uncle.

So, we haven't gotten an HD box, but I assume that when it comes it'll use an HDMI output.

I'm thinking about getting an XBox 360, since it can do high def and it has some rad games like gears of war. My question is, what's the best setup for me? The premium? the tv has one hdmi input, two dvi-d inputs, and two rgb composites. I understand that digital is the way to go, but I'll have a conflict once my cable box comes in, right? In that case, can I run a HDMI to DVID cable, and then just run separate optical to my reciever?

I am really freakin confused, and they certainly don't make it easy. I just want to play games in shiny HD while paying the least amount possible to do so.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DVI is digital just like HDMI. You can simply, as you said, run the HDMI to DVI cable out of your XBox and an optical to your receiver.. which is what you should be doing anyway, because you'll want the good sound out of your receiver and not out of the crappy TV speakers.

I'd definitely go for the Xbox w/ the HDMI output. It'll ensure future compatibility @ high resolution if they ever get around to restricting component to low res.

I'd definitely go for the Xbox w/ the HDMI output. It'll ensure future compatibility @ high resolution if they ever get around to restricting component to low res.
It's my understanding that the advantage of HDMI is not in the video signal, it's the fact that it has optical audio on board so you don't need another cable. So I can see no benefit to anyone who's routing their signal through a receiver and running video only to the tv.

Who are they and how and why would they restrict component to low res? :confused:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's component FYI - composite is different - and the picture quality will not vary much. Component is a very robust interface and will handle 1080p with no problem. I was simply speculating that standards will eventually not allow 1080p over component (unsecured) output, so it may be wise to go with HDMI for future compatibility.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's component FYI - composite is different - and the picture quality will not vary much. Component is a very robust interface and will handle 1080p with no problem. I was simply speculating that standards will eventually not allow 1080p over component (unsecured) output, so it may be wise to go with HDMI for future compatibility.
This is quite true. Component works for 1080p for now, but will not in the near future when everyone adopts the broadcast flag and the appropriate security measures to keep digital broadcasts and sources from being ripped 1:1.

Sanwich: The opposite. Component is the RGB. Composite is red and white.