Quantcast

XBox 360 Goodness (and Badness)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
http://www.gizmodo.com/

Gizmodo’s new Norwegian correspondent SilverSnake sends shocking—shocking!—news about Microsoft’s Xbox 360 retail marketing demands. Retailers in the land of King Herald V are each being alloted a supply of 20 consoles, 6 core editions and 14 premium versions. But there is a catch: In order to get all of them, each shop or chain has to sign an agreement saying that they will sell out of all 20 consoles on the release date (which is December 2 over there). On top of that, the retailers must agree to sell a minimum of 2 games per console.

“Microsoft Norway even said them selves that they’re gonna use the ‘Sold Out’ as a marketing strategy to hype the console.”

Although the exact numbers are no doubt different for American and European retailers, similar tales of this Microsoft marketing/strong-arm strategy are likely to hold fast around the globe. I’ve been hearing rumors that the Xbox 360 will only be available in bundles with a set number of games when it goes on sale here. This tactic is not new—I’m pretty sure Sony will do the same thing when it launches the PS3 too. And there is nothing like a sell-out to generate publicity (even if it requires slowing the production line to ensure a shortage).

Mighty interesting to get a first-hand account from an irate shop owner. Thanks SilverSnake!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The consumers who fall for such a ridiculous marketing strategy should be slapped.

"Oh, gee, it's sold out so it must be great!"

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Video games are gay. Unless there was a GOOD mountain biking game, then i'd play.

* halo 2 is pretty cool though

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm hoping with the release of 360, PS2 will dive in price to compete and i'll be able to buy one for dirt. i haven't had a home system since Dreamcast, and i'm looking to just go cheap from now on since i hardly play vids anymore.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
chicodude said:
Video games are gay. Unless there was a GOOD mountain biking game, then i'd play.

* halo 2 is pretty cool though

I've never really understood the attraction myself. Half my freshman class in college dropped out from bad grades. Most of them because they were spending all their time playing videogames. I skipped classes to go skiing, getting drunk and getting laid.