Quantcast

xbox 360

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
As far as next-gen consoles are concerned I think I will hold out for the PS3. I cant justify getting a new system and not being able to play all my old games. Plus the PS3 looks pretty bad ass. Blu-Ray technology, established dominance in the market, crazy 3rd party support etc.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
You know whats going to happen, as soon as the PS3 comes out Xbox will drop the price $100 bucks. I might think about it then! Then I will mod it and download games like crazy........

Wait thats what I did with my current xbox.... HAHA

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I think I will wait awhile, see what PS3 is like right now I have both an Xbox & PS2 and so far haven't reached all the games I want to play on them.....

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
too bad you also have to spend another $300 on the memory/save drive for the xbox 360. so thats $700. and you get one controller. but not games. and games are $80...
that sounds freaking great....
no thanks. i have a PC that runs better then this does anyway.

i WILL buy a PS3 though. bluray disc hold up too 40gigs. that sure would be a sweet game.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
DHS said:
too bad you also have to spend another $300 on the memory/save drive for the xbox 360. so thats $700. and you get one controller. but not games. and games are $80...
that sounds freaking great....
no thanks. i have a PC that runs better then this does anyway.

i WILL buy a PS3 though. bluray disc hold up too 40gigs. that sure would be a sweet game.
The $400 pricepoint 360 will come with the HDD and Wireless Controllers. The $300 version won't though, so it is definately worth the $100 there.

But like others, I barely play my PS2 or XBox as is, so if I do get one I am gonna hold out for the price drop.

The Blueray drive looks nice on paper, but the technology is lousy with DRM. (most of which I am sure will be immediately hacked :devil: )

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll spend the money and time on bikes instead. I'll just write a score in the upper right hand corner of my sunglasses with a marker so it feels like I'm playing a video game.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm torn. I've been a PS guy for years, but my PS2 crapped out recently...so I have several options. Wait for PS3 (eta?), get an XBOX 360, or pussy out and get another PS2, which are now dirt cheap.

The tricky bit is I have a bunch of PS2 games I like and want to keep playing...I think unless the PS3 is due out soon I'm going to get screwed into buying two systems...sigh.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
I'll spend the money and time on bikes instead. I'll just write a score in the upper right hand corner of my sunglasses with a marker so it feels like I'm playing a video game.
:stupid:

Except I'll spend the money on college funds and retirement savings. :dead:

Oh - and the time I'll spend skiing with my boys. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

Except I'll spend the money on college funds and retirement savings. :dead:

Oh - and the time I'll spend skiing with my boys. :D
Nothing wrong with retirement funds. Unless I do something stupid like have kids I'll be comfortably unemployed when I'm 50.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Ridemonkey said:
I'm torn. I've been a PS guy for years, but my PS2 crapped out recently...so I have several options. Wait for PS3 (eta?), get an XBOX 360, or pussy out and get another PS2, which are now dirt cheap.

The tricky bit is I have a bunch of PS2 games I like and want to keep playing...I think unless the PS3 is due out soon I'm going to get screwed into buying two systems...sigh.
Well from what I have been reading PS3 isn't due out till April 2006. That seems like a stupid time to release a major system. So if you can go that long without your PS2 then I would wait.

But winter is right around the corner....

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
xbox360 will be mine, maybe not as soon as it comes out, i read that MS has signed up to the whole HD-DVD thing and will be upgrading to HD-DVD in later 360 models when the technology is ready, so i may just wait till then, by then it should be cheaper too.

i will also purchase the PS3 but not until it comes down in price, because i know its set to be really really expensive, sony themselves have admitted this, as the hardware inside is going to cost a fair bit to produce, they have to make their money back.
they said they are confident that people will be willing to pay extra, which is fair enough, most might, but i'm not.

until then, i'm sticking with my PC, Xbox and PS2.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
BMXman said:
wait my current Xbox games are not compatible with the new 360 system??:mumble:
well they said themselves in multiple electronics conventions like E3 for example, that most popular(i.e. not all) games will be backwards compatible.

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
Ridemonkey said:

My first gen ps2 also was having a lot of trouble reading new games and some dvds. If it is past warranty crack it open and clean the lense with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. It's easy to find step by step instructions online. After doing this my ps2 is running like it's brand new. Hell it even reads all my burned movies now.....As hard as it will be for me to see the 360 up and running, I'm gonna wait for the ps3.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Senôr Lopez said:
My first gen ps2 also was having a lot of trouble reading new games and some dvds. If it is past warranty crack it open and clean the lense with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. It's easy to find step by step instructions online. After doing this my ps2 is running like it's brand new. Hell it even reads all my burned movies now.....As hard as it will be for me to see the 360 up and running, I'm gonna wait for the ps3.
Really? Maybe I'll give that a try. It's fine for a while, then it starts clicking like crazy and can't read the disk. Such a pain.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Tenchiro said:
Just d/l an emulator and use your PC. If you have a DVD-ROM that is.
I've never really found an emulator that works. They all seem kinda crappy. Besides, I like playing football and hockey with my friends, and you can't really do that on a comp.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BMXman said:
wait my current Xbox games are not compatible with the new 360 system??:mumble:
They should *all* work.

The 360 video is insane. Like a Pixar movie rendered in real-time.

And what i've seen is only small vids of the first games. Most console games really come into their own later on as the platform matures.

(Halo 1 to Halo 2 for example).

$400 bucks for a fully wireless box that can play DVDs, stream files from your PC to your TV and stereo, and play baddass games.

I'm there.

Oct 5, 2005
As your attorney, I advise that the Xbox 360 is an excellent use of your presently available funds.

Signed,
- Your attorney

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
from what I have been reading you will need the harddrive to play older games, why? I'm still unsure.

HD- games will be 1080p that is F-ing awesome for anyone with a HD tv.

BUT- Games that come out with the 360 will only be slightly better then the current Xbox games. It won't be until 6month - 1year before you really start to see what the 360 can do. (development time)

PS3 - developers are already complaining about how difficult it is to develop for the PS3. (that has been a major problem in the past for Nintendo) so you might see more games come out for the 360 and not the PS3

Personally I say F the PS3

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
They're preventable, you know.

I say lower your standards and toss the job at 40. :thumb:
I already have some pretty low standards. Other than some nice bikes I live like a broke college student. I have only paid for two pieces of furniture in my life, a bed and a dresser. My wardrobe consists almost entirely of t-shirts from bike events. Other than a computer I don't own any electronics newer than 13 years old. My only phone is my work cell. My diet consists of the cheap kind of tuna fish, PB&J and assorted fruit. When I buy beer I get Milwaukees Best.

The lifestyle described above pretty much guarantees that I will never have to worry about the expense of getting married and having children.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
I already have some pretty low standards. Other than some nice bikes I live like a broke college student. I have only paid for two pieces of furniture in my life, a bed and a dresser. My wardrobe consists almost entirely of t-shirts from bike events. Other than a computer I don't own any electronics newer than 13 years old. My only phone is my work cell. My diet consists of the cheap kind of tuna fish, PB&J and assorted fruit. When I buy beer I get Milwaukees Best.

The lifestyle described above pretty much guarantees that I will never have to worry about the expense of getting married and having children.
So why aren't you retired now? :think:

I mean, hell - you could maintain that lifestyle living in Moab being a bike guide and/or shop-rat.

You're definitely right about the marriage thing. :p

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MancilG said:
from what I have been reading you will need the harddrive to play older games, why? I'm still unsure.

HD- games will be 1080p that is F-ing awesome for anyone with a HD tv.

BUT- Games that come out with the 360 will only be slightly better then the current Xbox games. It won't be until 6month - 1year before you really start to see what the 360 can do. (development time)

PS3 - developers are already complaining about how difficult it is to develop for the PS3. (that has been a major problem in the past for Nintendo) so you might see more games come out for the 360 and not the PS3

Personally I say F the PS3
You will need the hdd to play older games, as they will have a software emulator allowing it to run on the new processors and graphics cards.

It is a completely different system, and they need to translate the instruction set for the new hardware - hence the need for the hdd. This is also the reason that not ALL games will work, ther ei sno point wasting money reprogramming bits of a game only a few weirdos played.

MancilG said:
That's almost always the case with 1st gen games for a new system. Dev kits get you only so far, especially if you want your game to pass cert on release consoles. It simply makes good business sense not to go too gonzo with new hardware features that are more-or-less virgin territory, currently have poorly- or under-developed tool support, and otherwise might come back to bite you in the arse. Oh, and "normal" title dev time is usually 12-18 months minumum for anything other than a knock-off sequel. It takes the armies of poly-pushers and code jockies a long time to get your weapons of mass destruction to look and behave properly. :D

MancilG said:
Nah. The PS2 was a b*tch early on, as well. It's no surpise that the PS3 is following suit. The 'Cube was far more dev friendly in many respects, as was the XBox. If nothing else, Microsoft has a vast array of abstraction layer tools available to facilitate accessing and taking advantage of the hardware. A big thing with Sony and early PS2 dev was the LACK of mature tools to help programmers really tap into the machine's capabilities. That's why, if you recall, 1st gen PS2 titles sometimes were hardly more than PS1 ports to the new hardware platform.

$400 base hardware and $80/pop for games?! Ouch. :nuts: I still like my DreamCast. :devil: