Quantcast

XC bike for the downhiller

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I know we're all MOARning the loss of the World Cup season but come on Monkeys we can't be descending to the depths of STRAVA leaderboard cock measuring can we?.

You're better than this. you really are

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I’ll never forget the first enduro™️ race I ever did in Bellingham that was won by a dude on a carbon hard tail with a 90mm fork. The trails were fairly rowdy but obviously favored pedaling. Not trying to throw shade but this idea that travel somehow determines what someone can do on a bike is short sighted. Personally I think something with 120-130mm rear a 66* ish ha a piggyback shock and 140 or so up front is plenty at least where I live. More squish may bail you out at times but it also is more work on flatter sections of trail.
D708577E-E958-4795-B849-D7E8AF2BBF11.jpeg

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Not ridden near Estes at all. I think @Full Trucker did a ride up there last year or year before, may have been Croiser, but Little Brown's is stuck in my mind too as a name.

edit: Little Browns is over by Mt Antero.
I don’t think I rode Crosier Last year. What the hell was it rode up there last season? Oh yeah... I remember now.

Duh

Trail Pistol

I may be biased :busted:
Trail Pistol eh? Seems like a good choice for a Little Browns. Maybe we can ride that this summer, if we’re ever allowed out do the house again

Any of you Colorado monkeys see any names you know?

Yes. Klaus. Good dude. Wacky, but good.

KOM MOTHERFUCKER!!!!! KOM!!!!!
Moar dis heckling pls.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I deserve it! I was just curious if anyone knew any of the other riders, and how they ride. I find it hard to believe that 30% of the fastest guys in Colorado wouldn’t have absolutely smoked me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I’ll never forget the first enduro™️ race I ever did in Bellingham that was won by a dude on a carbon hard tail with a 90mm fork. The trails were fairly rowdy but obviously favored pedaling. Not trying to throw shade but this idea that travel somehow determines what someone can do on a bike is short sighted. Personally I think something with 120-130mm rear a 66* ish ha a piggyback shock and 140 or so up front is plenty at least where I live. More squish may bail you out at times but it also is more work on flatter sections of trail.View attachment 143767
none of those words you made prove anything but the following:

1. Endurpo 'courses' suck and end up just being another xc pedal contest

2. You need to ride better shit so that you understand the role of quality, abundant travel

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

2. You need to ride better shit so that you inderstand the role of quality, abundant travel
Definitely all that but also 3. Logan lives there, knows those trails like like back of his hand, and is fast as fuck just in general, including and not limited to on a big wheel, probably.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan

2. You need to ride better shit so that you understand the role of quality, abundant travel
all probably true. Abundant travel is nice, I was just pointing to the fact that often times on my trails it is more work to gain speed with more travel. Your results may vary. I’ve ridden my fair share of what most would consider dentist level shit.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
all probably true. Abundant travel is nice, I was just pointing to the fact that often times on my trails it is more work to gain speed with more travel. Your results may vary. I’ve ridden my fair share of what most would consider dentist level shit.
Sao make your big mushy bike moar stiffer in springz and damping to go faster.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Nah, I live in a high alpine desert. Anything that remotely points downhill here turns into a buttcrack after one summer. so most of the trails are low grade and I know short travel, efficient bikes go faster on most of that.

I get your point. It's just not a wholesale dismissal of why long travel bikes exist. I buy them and just ride better trails as much as possible.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I don’t think I rode Crosier Last year. What the hell was it rode up there last season? Oh yeah... I remember now.

Trail Pistol eh? Seems like a good choice for a Little Browns. Maybe we can ride that this summer, if we’re ever allowed out do the house again

Yes. Klaus. Good dude. Wacky, but good.

Moar dis heckling pls.
Little Browns, yes, let’s do it.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Have to say, at the risk of brutal mockery, my Yeti SB100 fits the bill of your description to a T. That really was its entire design philosophy. It’s an amazing bike for that purpose. But TBH, If I bought again, I just would have gotten a 125r 140 f bike, I find myself overwhelming the Yeti’s travel fairly regularly. (100r, 130f).
wow. so rich. such dentist.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I always thought the old Kona heihei was a perfect shreddy xc bike. Slack, short travel, but not too xc nor dh. I know people on this forum can't ride bikes without 500mm of reach and a 62 degree head angle, but more aggressive numbers make bikes go up and down good too

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know we're all MOARning the loss of the World Cup season but come on Monkeys we can't be descending to the depths of STRAVA leaderboard cock measuring can we?.

You're better than this. you really are
i've been yelling "STRAVAAAAAAAAAAAA" while playing downhill domination in the basement. my wife isn't sure what to think.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wow, kona really fucked up the 2020 hei hei. killed the seat angle, killed the leverage rate, and gave it an inline shock to increase lateral friction on the shock shaft. keep product managers away from bike design people.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I stopped riding with my local buddies because of strava.
Morons were melting their brakes on any type of “descent” and full on road raging on the flat bits to get their strava times up.

Back in the day I had like a cycle tracker app to see how many KMs I did but I got rid of that stuff a long time ago.
Took all the fun out of riding for me.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
the center or the edge?

:D
Yes.
I stopped riding with my local buddies because of strava.
Morons were melting their brakes on any type of “descent” and full on road raging on the flat bits to get their strava times up.

Back in the day I had like a cycle tracker app to see how many KMs I did but I got rid of that stuff a long time ago.
Took all the fun out of riding for me.
Same, that's pretty much our social nemba riding scene here. They also get offended when you tell them to either lay off the brakes, got get off the front of the pack.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i've been yelling "STRAVAAAAAAAAAAAA" while playing downhill domination in the basement. my wife isn't sure what to think.
IF I had a wife* and a basement here there'd be a lot of yelling coming from it too. The playstation would still be upstairs plugged into the main TV like it should be though ;)

*someone elses obvs

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Slack hardtail is still fun, capable in the front, bouncy in the back.

But if I felt the need to move to bigger wheels and a back bump tamer I'd be struggling to go past a Whyte S120, 120mm travel and a 65.6 deg HA, it would let you get a bit rowdy in the backcunty mud,

1587132295237.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i've seen that but i honestly don't play a lot of video games. the newest system i have is a PS3, and these days that's only used as a bluray player.
it's not out yet for PS4 anyway.
i think it might be for PC though

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the one thing that seems to be true every time this thread pops up is that everybody has a different interpretation of XC bike for a downhiller. Some people want a lightweight, aggressive geometry short travel bike. Some people want a 9000lb steel dirt jumper. Others demand at least 7" of travel and 26" wheels. At the end of the day, I think it's safe to conclude that this question sucks