Quantcast

XC Frame Question

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Did you really just ask such a vague question? You've got a 1000 posts man, snap out of it.

"Best" means absolutely nothing. For me, I like my Loco Moto but I will be replacing it next year with one of two bikes under consideration. One being another FS and the other being a 29" steel hardtail.

Give us some more info.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Mike B. said:
Did you really just ask such a vague question? You've got a 1000 posts man, snap out of it.

Give us some more info.
There isn't anymore info to give. You can by any XC frame you want... what would it be??

Nothing vague about that..... do i need to spell it out differently ?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
MancilG said:
There isn't anymore info to give. You can by any XC frame you want... what would it be??

Ok, that sounds a little more like what is your dream XC frame not which one is best.

If that is the case, mine doesn't quite exist yet. A handmade 4" DW-link, aluminum frame and swingarm with an anodized finish, great bearings, and intelligent selection of ti and aluminum hardware to hold it all together.

There are a few that are close to what I want but just not there yet.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
RacerX
yetti ASX-R
Scalpel (less travel than the other 2)
turner nitrus (whatever thier xc race bike is)

If you can handle hardtails
Moots
IF

To me these are second place fs’s:
The new Specialized carbon epic looks nice(the only reason it's not an 'A' frame is becuase of that stoopid brain shock)
Fuel
Giant nrs fs.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
The Toninator said:
RacerX
Turner ASX-R
Scalpel (less travel than the other 2)

If you can handle hardtails
Moots
IF

To me these are second place fs’s:
The new Specialized carbon epic looks nice(the only reason it's not an 'A' frame is becuase of that stoopid brain shock)
Fuel
Giant nrs fs.

Nice picks

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
if you also wanted the best and then wanted pimp the racerX Ti/carbon thing is nice. I have a buddy who's had one of those and now owns a litespeed swanee and likes both of them.
that's pimptastic.

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
The new Ibis carbon frame is looking great, but I haven't gotten a chance to ride one (hopefully I will soon).....I love the feel of the IH Azure Team, but the new Ano Black Azure factory frame has got my vote on the coolness of the color alone.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Andyman_1970 said:
Nice, we'll need to see some pics of that..............
2005 with the carbon xlink not pictured is the terry fly saddle and i relaced the front wheel with black spokes on a black rim. I also shortend the cables a little.
xt drive train (xtr rear d)
fox rlt 80
thompson seat post
fsa xc115 stem
ec 90 low rise bar
avid ti brakes
king hubs on black 517 with black dt revos (rear)
egg beaters
maxxis tt's

it's a very nice build.
the other picture is of me almost in action in durango last month. I was always in front so i got no pictures of me actually rolling.

Attachments

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
The Toninator said:
2005 with the carbon xlink not pictured is the terry fly saddle and i relaced the front wheel with black spokes on a black rim. I also shortend the cables a little.
xt drive train (xtr rear d)
fox rlt 80
thompson seat post
fsa xc115 stem
ec 90 low rise bar
avid ti brakes
king hubs on black 517 with black dt revos (rear)
egg beaters
maxxis tt's

it's a very nice build.
the other picture is of me almost in action in durango last month. I was always in front so i got no pictures of me actually rolling.
Nice............... :thumb:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I do have to admit thought that the 1 draw back to the X is the fact that it only has 1 bottle cage. I don’t like camelbak’s so I have to put a bottle I my jersey pocket if I need 2 bottles.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
all this talk of new bikes has got me in flurry, I have been thinking of getting a new 29er SS frame, for awhile now, and during my lunch I zipped over to my LBS who also owns Grail cycles and convinced the owner to let me try his personal bike for the weekend, I can't wait to see how this custom steel frame with white bros. fork compares to the karate Monkey .... yeehaw

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
MancilG said:

sc blur, intense 5.5, turner 5 spot, a lightspeed ht. there are so many..

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Probably my next XC bike. i mean really it weighs 32 lbs w/variable travel, supposed to climb like a dream and 6 inches front and back with high clearance for maximum shreddage......

Somebody wanna buy me one?

And by the way this is not an ALL MOUNTAIN bikey, it's an XC bikey. Mountains are considered terrain or country which you have to cross so the term Cross Country reflects more accurately.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
The bike that surprised me the most at Interbike dirt demo was the Specialized Stuntjumper FSR S-Works 120 (aluminum).
(http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2006/bikes/06SWorksSJFSR_Brn_l.jpg)

The Brain Fade shock thing automatically locks out with steady pressure (like on a climb) so you climb like you're on a hardtail. Then it engages with a hit (like uneven terrain), so you're back to 5" of travel.

It climbed as well as the Turner Flux and the Santa Cruz Juliana, and descended better.

This bike felt so comfortable and was so nimble, I suddenly had to re-think all the changes I was planning to make to my 4"-travel Truth (upgrading to disc brakes, new wheelset, etc). My only complaint with the Stuntjumper is the ugly brown ano as the only option.

As an aggressive XC trail rider, if I were to get a new bike, it would definately be a 5" travel bike. These days they are almost as light as the 4" bikes, and a lot more versitile. I'd only ridden a Specialized once before, and I can't get over how impressed I was with that bike.