Quantcast

XC Light Trail Tire du jour? Fast & Grippy 2.4 / 2.6 27mm Inner Rim 27.5"

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I blew out a Specialized Fast Track today and have decided to try something with a better balance of speed and grip for the hardtail XC bike.

My everyday rollers have an inner rim width of 27mm, I am considering Maxxis Rekon 3C/EXO/TR 2.4 front and rear.

My spare set have 19mm inner rim widths, I use this set for gravel / road during the winter. The last set of tires I had for them were Maxxis Ramblers. I didn't like them due to their low volume profile and horrible puncture resistance. I have very little experience with gravel tires and was thinking a decent set of durable semi-slicks would be fine. I have no idea where to start, but I would be going tubeless with stans and need enough volume to be firm at 35 to 40 psi.

I'm looking for feedback & suggestions - thanks in advance.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bontrager XR4, fairly grippy, not too heavy, pretty frickin' durable. Perhaps not an XC tire, but a damn good trail tire.

For an XC tire I had good luck with a Conti Cross King. Great rear tire, I like a more aggressive front tire because I do dumb shit in corners.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Bontrager XR4, fairly grippy, not too heavy, pretty frickin' durable. Perhaps not an XC tire, but a damn good trail tire.

For an XC tire I had good luck with a Conti Cross King. Great rear tire, I like a more aggressive front tire because I do dumb shit in corners.
I just got rid of the Cross Kings that came on the Yeti, I only rode them once and remember nothing about them. Never heard of the XR4 before - will check them out.

Edit: Trek has been off my radar for sometime, back in the day Bontrager had peaked. Dissector / XR4 seems like something I might try.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I just got rid of the Cross Kings that came on the Yeti, I only rode them once and remember nothing about them. Never heard of the XR4 before - will check them out.

Edit: Trek has been off my radar for sometime, back in the day Bontrager had peaked. Dissector / XR4 seems like something I might try.
Cross Kings are good for me.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
My exo+ tyres are more like 10xx than 1200g, but I do run Cushcore in the back. Plus I am fairly light. Although not as light as most of the pro enduro field it seems. A lot of those guys could be jockeys.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
On my xc/trail bike I'm running a DHF exo in the front. And a Maxxis Advantage in the rear. Sadly that's a 26 only tire and they stopped making the 2.4 size before they discontinued it completely.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Another reccomend for the XR4. Love it.

XR3 if you're willing to trade a little grip for more speed.

Or the SE versions of either one of them. Definitely a significant increase in side wall support and durability for not too much weight gain especially if running as a rear tire.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There's a review on PB- might be helpful before you spend the money.

I'm starting to realize just how little loam I ride in. Everything is hardpack and rocks and roots. I don't want to totally sacrifice cornering, but I'm willing to sacrifice some braking and turning for faster rolling.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I probably do ~1000 miles per year on Ikons on my rigid 29er. Used for "adventure" rides with road, dirt, singletrack, hiking over mountain passes etc. 2.2 rear, 2.35 front.

Running them on a 12+ year old set of Arch/Pro2 wheels with an unrideable 19mm ID. My wife runs the same on her equivilent bike with still unrideable Arch EX 21mm ID.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I probably do ~1000 miles per year on Ikons on my rigid 29er. Used for "adventure" rides with road, dirt, singletrack, hiking over mountain passes etc. 2.2 rear, 2.35 front.

Running them on a 12+ year old set of Arch/Pro2 wheels with an unrideable 19mm ID. My wife runs the same on her equivilent bike with still unrideable Arch EX 21mm ID.
I am going to get these for the skinny rims... 2.2 for sure, would you risk a 2.35 in 19mm rims or too round?

EDIT: Ended up going with the 2.2 Ikons F/R.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
There's a review on PB- might be helpful before you spend the money.

I'm starting to realize just how little loam I ride in. Everything is hardpack and rocks and roots. I don't want to totally sacrifice cornering, but I'm willing to sacrifice some braking and turning for faster rolling.
Thanks for the input. I was close to doing the @Westy thing but ended up ordering Ground Control T7 F / T5 R. My riding weight is 185, soft rubber wears fast for me; I'm gambling that the sidewalls of the T5 will not be an issue. I also have one good Fast Track that can be a back up rear if needed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wait did you get the ground controls or ikons?

I'm currently running a butcher front and ardent rear, and the rock/slippery traction is lacking.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
wait did you get the ground controls or ikons?

I'm currently running a butcher front and ardent rear, and the rock/slippery traction is lacking.
Both, I run 2 sets of wheels on the hardtail. One for mixed surface (19mm) and one for trails (27mm). I used to run butcher / slaughter on the GT but never on the Giant. I like to keep the hardtail around 23 LBS...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I happily ride with a 2.35 on the front with my dangerous 19mm ID rims.
You and Superman.

I tried the Fast Tracks (2.4) in the 19mm rims; the round profile became even more round plus, due to my weight, I had to run a higher psi or they would get squirmy. Effortless on pavement, OK on gravel and meh on dirt as long as you didn't have to climb, turn or stop.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
On my xc/trail bike I'm running a DHF exo in the front. And a Maxxis Advantage in the rear. Sadly that's a 26 only tire and they stopped making the 2.4 size before they discontinued it completely.
Had great luck in the dry with DHF semi slicks in 26.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I happily ride with a 2.35 on the front with my dangerous 19mm ID rims.
16 miles so far, all dirt, 2.2s 29/32psi. They are climbing rock stars, I got the max speed rubber so some penalty in downhill speed but overall I cut about 6 minutes off my usual 8 mile loop without any extra effort. Balls to the wall on tomorrows ride just to see what these tire will do under max effort.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I hated the Bontragers. Love the Maxxis Minion DHF even if they are heavy as hell
Now that I have paying attention - I am seeing the Bontrager tires out on the trail, yesterday paired with a Maxxis Aggressor. I've run the DHF / SS combo since the last time I a similar post for a trail tire. I have no issue with them on the Yeti or GT but felt it too much rubber for the SID because flexy.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I kept washing out the front end on corners and the on the rear they would lose bite and spin on hard pack. Crashing hard while riding solo sucks.

A buddy just took his new Slash lift riding for its first time on dirt. 3rd run and the first done in anger he washed the front Bonty (2.6 SE5 Team Issue) out and dropped it in the corner. Result broken crabon bar and the 2.5 DHF and alloy bar from his broken Slash going on as soon as he got home.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Anyone ever run a DHR II F/R? I have plenty of rear tires for some reason. .

Also: Michelin Force AM (first generation) is a hard pass NO MATTER HOW CHEAP they are. I gambled $25.00 on a 2.6 (measures less than 2.5) and lost. The tire is too round, too much space between knobs in general and far too much space between the central tread and outside knobs.

Last edited: