Quantcast

XC Pedals: SPD vs. Egg Beaters

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
My SPDs seem to get clogged with mud pretty easily on ST rides. Looking to start really competing in XC.

For XC, what do people like better….

A) SPDs
B) Egg-beaters
C) Other

Never used Egg beaters. Seem kinda frail.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I'm a fan of the EggBeaters.
They need a bit more maintainence, but their performance is well worth it.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Eggbeaters all the way. I run them on my XC bike and my cross bike. I've never had any problems with them getting filled with mud.

Spend the money for stainless ones. They will hold up a bit better than the chromoly spindles.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Time Atac pedals rule.
mud doesn't faze them, they take a beating and they're easy to use.
I was using shimano's for years before the switch and I couldn't be happier.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Eggbeaters. Shimanos always felt kinda sloppy and seemed to unclip at the worst possible times. I did break one of my eggbeaters (2+years old)and CB repaired it and returned it (for free) within 5 business days....

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I ride SPD and like em, but all of my friends swear by Frog pedals

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Wow, it seems the verdict is in. Egg Beaters all the way. Kudos to Time Atac pedals as well. Are they compatible with SPD shoes? I know nothing about them, only SPDs. Looks like it is time to upgrade.

I like my SPDs, but I don't like being out on a course and having to stop to pick mud out of my pedals because I can’t clip in. I fall a lot. :poster_oops:

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Yup, you can mount an Eggbeater cleat to any SPD compatible shoe.

Enjoy!
CB's customer service is second to none, so if you ever do have a problem it will be dealt with fast.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Done. Once I get out of here, I think I'll move my SPDs to my road bike and then get a stainless steel pair of egg beaters for my mountain bike.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
My SPDs seem to get clogged with mud pretty easily on ST rides. Looking to start really competing in XC.

For XC, what do people like better….

A) SPDs
B) Egg-beaters
C) Other

Never used Egg beaters. Seem kinda frail.
Like asking, Boxers, Briefs or Boxer Briefs :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Time, CB, Speedplay and Shimano all use the same cleat pattern.

Personally, I use Shimano. They aren't the lightest or coolest, but they always work. The SPDs not working in mud thing isn't as true as it used to be. The new style pedals without the plate in the center are better. I have an old pair of 747s along with newer 525s, 959s and 647s- all the new ones clear a bit better and feel like they have a stiffer, more positive release.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Time, CB, Speedplay and Shimano all use the same cleat pattern.
Many other brands are compatible with SPD shoes, but the cleats themselves are pretty different.

Time:

Shimano:

Crank Bros.:

I heard a couple guys talking badly about their CB pedals over the weekend. The one guy has pulled the pedal off of the spindle on 3 different pairs of pedals. It was just talk, I have no experience with them. CB was very cool about replacing the pedals.

Personally, I ride Time ATACs. My only complaints are that they're not very easy to service at home and over the years the springs you clip into have loosened to the point of giving me random releases at very inopportune moments. They are 5 years old though so it's more likely a wear and tear issue than a design/manufacturing flaw.

JETSPEEDER24

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
Quakertown, PA
I also use Time ATAC's and I love them. They are easy to get in and out of and I have never had a problem with mud. I have had mine for about 4 years and never had a problem.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I have Eggbeaters on my XC bikes(SS and geared) and like 'em just fine. I've heard of plenty of stories of the pedals pulling off of the spindle.

The only real problem I have had with them is wear: they use a bushing on the inner part of the spindle, which wears out the spindle over time. It was particularly evident when I rebuilt my 3ti Eggbeaters and they still had about 5mm of play radially around the spindle, making it feel like there was a ton of play between the cleat and pedal. It's not as big of an issue on my SL's, but it's still there. My 3ti pedals were only a year old, and sending them into CB was useless because all they did was put in another rebuild kit. When I got the pedals back, their response was "They should be ok." :rant:

It probably wasn't a warranty issue, more a 'rides too much' wear issue, so I just bought new spindles.