Quantcast

XC RACE bike set up

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I was curious about what people are running for their xc race bike set up. A few years ago, the words XC, full suspension, and disc brakes would never be heard in the same sentance. My how things have changed. My GF races expert xc on an Epic with discs, and says she wouldn't be competitive without that type of set up. I agree.
I was wondering what people are currently racing on, vs. what they would like to be racing on. I'm only posing this question in regards to bikes built to be raced, not general purpose trail bikes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My race bike:
SantaCruz Superlight
King hubs with Bontrager Valiant rims
Avid SD7 brakes
Sram 9.0 shifters and rear mech
Truvative Stylo cranks
Fox Forx Float RL
Hutchinson Mosquitos or Pythons depending on conditions

Weighs in just under 24lbs but feels even lighter.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
'03 Jekyll 1000 w/Lefty Ti
Swapped the stock bars for Easton carbons
Swapped the stock cranks/bb for Truvativ Stylo Teams
Swapped the seat for a Flite Ti gel
Swapped the tires for Maxxis High Roller XC tubeless
Running ATAC carbon pedals

Just under 27lbs, not bad for a 5.3" travel bike :cool:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I try to race on a 02 Titus RacerX ;)

Avid disks
Mavic 317 disc rims with CK and Hugi hubs
Truvativ stylo team cranks and bb
SID team fork

It is about 26 lbs.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I wasn't interested so much in specific parts, just what racers thought of disc brakes and full suspension. I race downhill, so you can guess my thoughts. I was wondering what racers had vs. what they want to have.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I would swap my frame for a Yeti AS-R and my fork for a Fox. Other than that I'm happy with the setup, including the Magura Marta discs. I would never go back to racing XC on a hardtail.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by Repack
I wasn't interested so much in specific parts, just what racers thought of disc brakes and full suspension. I race downhill, so you can guess my thoughts. I was wondering what racers had vs. what they want to have.
I can truly say now after this weekends mud bath race that disks are great! The mud was so deep that it got the rotors a bit and stopping power was still excellent.

I am still not sure if you "need" full suspention on a XC course. It is nice though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Squeak
I can truly say now after this weekends mud bath race that disks are great! The mud was so deep that it got the rotors a bit and stopping power was still excellent.

I am still not sure if you "need" full suspention on a XC course. It is nice though.
For most racing situations vee brakes are fine, but when it gets muddy disks rule.

You never need any suspension, but I feel that having a full suspension makes me faster.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
This was what got me thinking. My gf raced Snowshoe on V's, and after one lap the 5 day old pads were shot.She finished very near the back of the pack. On our way to Mt. Snow, I put discs on. She finished second. For both courses, she said she was much faster than if she raced her hard tail, and loves the "but bounce" of a dualie. Kind of funny when equipment makes such a big difference in a xc race.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Discs and full suspension rule for XC racing. There will always be courses which are smooth enough for a hardtail to be competitive if not faster, but I think more often than not full suspension is faster. Disc brakes work so much better than rim brakes and there is little weight penalty now. When it gets wet rim brakes in comparison with discs are just plain stupid.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I race on my 25 LBS C-dale hardtail it has disk brakes.
I'm still not sure about those FS things but it would have been nice to have one for the 180+km race i did last week.:D
I'm not to sure what i'd rather be racing on.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I am not technically qualified to answer this since I have always raced full suspension mountain bikes. My racer-x is definitely a race bike - pretty stiff and it only sucks up enough to take the bite out.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
I'm using discs on my hartail (25lbs) and if I could afford it would ride a short travel full suspension bike (eg. scalpel) cos that def. wouldn't be any heavier than my ht, with the right parts of course.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
my bikes FS and has disc brakes.
the FS helps sometimes wen i want to jump the bike over logs rocks, etc. The disc brakes are a very large help with the weather around here, and tubeless tires are a very good protector against pinch flats (yup, a 120 lb rider that gets pinch flats)

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I think it would totally depend on the course. For a shorter and smoother race course, I'd ride a hardtail just because they ARE more efficent. For the Shenendoah 100, you know damn right that i'll be on a long travel bike with discs.

My preference is a FS with discs.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
there honestly aren't many race courses that require an FS bike. actually talked to many pros about this and they all agreed w/ me that HT's are pretty much the way to go. snow shoe and mt snow are considered to be pretty decently technical race courses and even those don't really require an FS bike. havin the option to choose between bikes if you are a sponsored racer is nice though, however if you are on a budget just go w/ a hard tail. they are typically lighter and require no work to keep the frame up and running like a FS bike will.

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah
I would like to actually try a race on a good dual susp bike, to see if it has benefits over my HT. If I felt that it was far & away better than a HT then I'd probably go & buy one :)

The sad fact is i've never raced a dual so I can only say that I race my 21lb hardtail and i LIKE it!

I am a bit of a HT fan and cant imagine life without one really... but that said, I think dual could make certain courses around here less taxing on the body.

lightweight discs could a good thing too, I'd like to try out some Marta's, see what they have to offer to me

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Repack
hardtail and XTR V-brakes. i would love discs for the wet tho!

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
I run a hardtail, with front disk, rear XTR v-brake and a sus. seatpost. It's excellent for short races (up to about 4 hours) but 2 of my last 3 have been 24 hour solo, and they're starting to hurt my body too much...... I think that a full sus frame will be coming next time I get paid.

Having said that, if I was only racing traditional XC events, then a nice hardtail would be my choice, purely for it's simplicity and sprinting ability.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I've always raced XC on a hardtail, although my XC-HT hasn't changed much since '98: Indy Fab Deluxe w/ XTR drivetrain and Avid Arch Supreme brakes. Any XC races I do will be on this bike and for the most part I can rely on my DH experience to get me through most situations. I do like full suspension and how it can reduce fatigue on rougher courses.

I'll be looking for a lighter FS bike over the Winter as my current XC-FS bike is a 38 lb Yeti Lawwill-6.