Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
tgreathead: no worries dude! that's no sissy loop, props for sticking it out.
Next time we all go I'll be pedaling everything, and if I don't; permission to heckle granted.

bneall said:
Ditto. My back was pretty sore yesterday but feels alright today. The good thing about training for the BMX track so much lately is my muscles have gotten pretty good at recovery, its just endurance I need to work on. I'm feeling alright today and will be hitting spinning on Wednesday to prepare for my next battle with the mountain.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
dang, sounds like it was fun. maybe next time.
yea. dude.. you missed out on an oldschool BMX racer guy showing us youngsters the meaning of stamina. The dude pretty much outclimbed and outsprinted everyone in the group, and when we were done with the ride ready to throw up at the bottom, he headed back up the mountain for another go. :clapping:

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
yea. dude.. you missed out on an oldschool BMX racer guy showing us youngsters the meaning of stamina. The dude pretty much outclimbed and outsprinted everyone in the group, and when we were done with the ride ready to throw up at the bottom, he headed back up the mountain for another go. :clapping:
I've seen that guy in Sully canyon numerous times doing run after run after run.

He had an interesting ex-wife!

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Wow, good thing I wasnt able to go. It would have been quite embarrassing throwing up all over my bike trying to keep up.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I'll be riding w/ some of my buddies @ 0800 up to the Nike Silo then back down Sully. Would run it again w/ you but need to get to OC afterwards.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Nagaredama and I did the loop yesterday, got on the trail at 4. I redeemed myself from last week by pedaling 95% of the loop, I was actually prepared this time. Even up the hill up to the Hub that seemed epic last time was a breeze. We saw the dude on the green Intense again but he was just finishing a monster loop so he passed on joining us.

Everything was going stellar until close to the end of J-Drop where I lost it over the bars. Nagaredama was about 2 bike lengths ahead of me and he crossed over the trench. I thought I saw a better line to cross and next thing I knew I was laying in the trench with my pig on top of me. My forearms are all scraped up and I caught a stem bolt to the hip but I'll be fine by next weekend. I may concede to walking a few spots on J-Drop every time from now on unless I want to wear full armor, I'm at least bringing elbow guards.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Sorry to hear about that, Taylor. Don't let that wreck stop you from conquering J-drop though! Maybe a bit of :spam: in your pre-ride diet will help pull ya through. Well, either that or slamming your seat down as far as it will possibly go. When are well all gonna hit up Wilson? I'm seriously jonesing for a sturtevant shuttle.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Ya, I'll conquer it eventually, I just want to be in good health for Sea Otter so I'll back off a bit for now.

Scott and I still haven't done Sturtivant, I was doing Chantry one day and rode a short bit up the end though. We definitely want to try it at some point.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
sorry to hear about the endo incident.. must have looked great though :)

we shuttled the DH run in Malubu this morning.. good times.
you guys gotta join us next weekend. We may attempt doing it twice.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I was curious, whats your avg finish time on this loop from gate to gate on Bayliss and you guys ever try coming back down on Sully instead of squirrel to hit that fun drop to dbl (optional) to step up?

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
Ben and I have done it in as little as 3-3.5 hours, though it was painful. If we keep it mellow and take rest breaks 4 hours is normal. If you had a light bike like a 5-spot, 575 or an Enduro, and were in top shape, you could finish this out in under 3 hours, it's been done.

We usually don't have the legs to hammer back up to the top of Sully, but Rick (the old BMX guy) did just that last weekend.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Ben and I have done it in as little as 3-3.5 hours, though it was painful. If we keep it mellow and take rest breaks 4 hours is normal. If you had a light bike like a 5-spot, 575 or an Enduro, and were in top shape, you could finish this out in under 3 hours, it's been done.

We usually don't have the legs to hammer back up to the top of Sully, but Rick (the old BMX guy) did just that last weekend.
If I hadn't fallen it would have been about 3.5 hours. We were on the trail at 4, back at the car just before 8.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Great ride Saturday. Hopefully Taylor's hip isn't too nasty! I really wish my camera was handy!

I almost fell just before the finish of Farmer's. A bee flew into my shirt and I took my hand off the bars too slap my chest in hopes of killing it before it stung me. My bar end grazed the metal pole and I got pretty sideways. Had my front brake lever hit the pole I would have been SOL.

One of these days I'll do the loop on my 575 for time. Going down J-Drop would be slower because of the clip in pedals and suspension. The fast sections of Backbone wouldn't be too bad. I could make up a ton of time on the climbs.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Great ride Saturday. Hopefully Taylor's hip isn't too nasty! I really wish my camera was handy!

I almost fell just before the finish of Farmer's. A bee flew into my shirt and I took my hand off the bars too slap my chest in hopes of killing it before it stung me. My bar end grazed the metal pole and I got pretty sideways. Had my front brake lever hit the pole I would have been SOL.
Hip's okay, I'm limping around but the puncture seems to be healing nicely. My shoulder started hurting yesterday but doesn't feel like anything that won't be healed for the weekend. I keep finding new cuts all over me; my heel, back of my knee, other hip.

The bee thing was pretty funny! Scott was ahead of me by about 3 bike lengths and at the very last lip of Farmers I see his rear wheel come off the ground and kick out way to the side moto style. I was about to give him props for pulling a whip out of Farmers until I saw him beating his chest as I rolled up. Some hikers were coming up the fireroad at the time and were looking at him kinda funny, almost like he was beating his chest in glory for whipping out of Farmers ;)

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment (or shame) while resting near the abandon house after J Drop.

There is 1 section on J drop which seems damn near impossible to clean w/o risk of major hurt. Near the end, its the gnarliest drop w/ little landing spot between the deep rut and no visible (or safe) lines on either sides to avoid the rut. Cant quite huck, cant quite roll.

Oh, anybody have any history on that car in Farmers ST?

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
believe it or not it's actually rollable, i was surprised when i rolled it on my dirtbag without clipping the edge.. it's borderline endo though, so dropping it is much safer and much more fun.

Nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment (or shame) while resting near the abandon house after J Drop.

There is 1 section on J drop which seems damn near impossible to clean w/o risk of major hurt. Near the end, its the gnarliest drop w/ little landing spot between the deep rut and no visible (or safe) lines on either sides to avoid the rut. Cant quite huck, cant quite roll.

Oh, anybody have any history on that car in Farmers ST?

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
believe it or not it's actually rollable, i was surprised when i rolled it on my dirtbag without clipping the edge.. it's borderline endo though, so dropping it is much safer and much more fun.
I know which part you guys are talking about. I've walked it both times now but think I would commit if I had full gear on. I'm not about to endo into that rock quarry with my XC helmet on! Oh wait, I already did ;)

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
That pic. is so awesome, Taylor! Hahahhahahaah.......I can totally see the urgency in your face, Scott. Nice reinactment!

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I find myself rolling most of the drops on J-Drop. Thankfully I'm so tall so I can get away with it. Next time down I'm going to work on wheelie dropping most of the them.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
fri. is no go, working...
but let's make some weekend plans.
want to shuttle some DH in Malibu?

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
fri. is no go, working...
but let's make some weekend plans.
want to shuttle some DH in Malibu?
I'm out for DH this weekend but don't let that stop you guys if you want to go. I'll probably just ride Sully or maybe a Chesebro XC ride since I haven't been there in a while.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I'm tentatively down for a friday ride, saturday morning shuttle or any time sunday works for me. What do y'all have in mind?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I'm tentatively down for a friday ride, saturday morning shuttle or any time sunday works for me. What do y'all have in mind?
I was going to a pretty mellow loop with a buddy who isn't in the best shape. We'll be heading up the Westridge fireroad to the Nike center and down Sullivan Canyon. Nothing too crazy. Pace will be slow. I'm not sure when my buddy last rode.