Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
we have a Mammoth trip planned for early Aug. actually... 2nd-6th..
and I think i can only afford one Mammoth trip this year :(

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
TG and I have found the hikers to be super nice. Most of them think we're crazy for riding those trails on our bikes (nothing crazy about the trails really).

I don't recall ever having a bad encounter with a hiker up there. Most are friendly and curious.

I just realized I am aiming to hit Mammoth opening weekend which is June 23rd.

Any of you guys interested?
Ya, most of the hikers are totally cool but we're also extra courteous since they have the right-of-way. We always slow down and, if necessary, dismount so they can walk by. We also both have bells we put on our bikes so they can hear us coming. However most of them are so stunned to see someone riding up there they ask us to ride by them so they can watch :)

We've only really had a small handful of problems up there and they were very minor, usually hikers that don't approve of us and choose to roll their eyes at us instead of replying when we say hi. We've gotten a few lectures from people saying that we're destroying the trail with our bikes and we need to be wary with such a delicate environment. When asked what in particular we're doing to harm the trail they always reply that we're "skidding every corner like that guy I saw last time." We see many of them too, usually wearing a 10 year old helmet while riding a department store Magna bike with the paper disc still in the spokes. One runner railed us for a while saying that we were 'intentionally ruining the trails for runners and hikers.' Of course that same guy had gators on his shoes and when questioned he replied that he was 'running off trail, makes it more fun.' I guess there's a double standard for being 'delicate.' :crazy:

I'm out for Mammoth, I'll be in Paris. Boo hoo :biggrin:

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I just found out that I might have "Water on the Knee." Gonna get it checked and hopefully it'll just be a slight sprain. Tentative for Sunday in case they deem me un-rideable.

Anybody ever ride North Star? I'll be in South Tahoe early August and wondering if it'll be worth the hr drive or if I should just stay and ride the locals trails (Flume/Mr Toads/Etc).

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Anybody ever ride North Star? I'll be in South Tahoe early August and wondering if it'll be worth the hr drive or if I should just stay and ride the locals trails (Flume/Mr Toads/Etc).[/QUOTE]

Northstar absolutely rocks or at least it did 2 years ago. They say it's going to be improved this year and IMO, the best Cali has to offer.

I'd be there every weekend if it wasn't 9 hrs away.

Do it man..you won't be sorry.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
just wanna make sure everyone is on the same page.

i'll be at the bottom lot with my crew sunday at 9am
see you guys there!

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Thanks for the ride today fellas. Riding with you guys will most def get me better....or just eventually kill me.

Sorry again for slowing you guys down.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
You guys missed out on me getting my arms sunburned and TG and I almost getting our head whacked off by a LAFD helicopter.
Ya, it was a pretty good ride. My legs didn't cramp up at all which was a first so I was pretty stoked. Until I realized I forgot to bring any food so I bonked out around the end of Backbone. Walked most of JDrop since I'm still a little spooked and was so hungry I couldn't concentrate. Then the helicopter came and woke me up, a dude repelled down to the ground and they did a fly by for us (see the pic below). 30 seconds after that picture I was walking down JDrop when I heard the helicopter coming back so I looked up as I was taking a step. I stepped on a loose rock and rolled my ankle like an idiot. It hurt but I was able to pedal fine so we just kept going. Iced it when I got home and it was no problem until later that night when it suddenly hurt like a bitch! It actually feels more like my foot than my ankle but I dunno. Doesn't feel any worse today and in fact feels better once I put a neoprene brace on it. Hopefully I'll be back in the saddle this weekend ;)

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
you should have come to maliboos :bonk:
Yeah, you guys missed out on was my highly skilled impression of a pinball. My body was 1 with all things living and dead on that trail. Makes me want to invest in a big bike..the Gran Mal is looking mighty tasty right about now.

Nags, you down to hit Sully this week sometime? Climb (or shuttle ;) ) Westridge to the drop then out and back?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yeah, you guys missed out on was my highly skilled impression of a pinball. My body was 1 with all things living and dead on that trail. Makes me want to invest in a big bike..the Gran Mal is looking mighty tasty right about now.
tis a good thing i moved out the way before you fell on me on one of the step downs. i would have liked to watch you bounce around in some of the upper rock garden areas :clapping:

hang back on the Gran Mal. wait for the new DH/FR sled transition is working on.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
yea. that OTB superman roll was pretty slick..

agree with mandown.. wait for the Blindside to hit the market, that frame looks super sweet.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
looks like we're riding Sully tomorrow at 9am
and shuttling malibooz again on Sun. at 9am

whoever is up for either one, let me know.. or just meet us at the trail