Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I definitely earned it by overshooting a table on Livewire by about 10 feet. I rode the rest of the day. That was last Saturday. It was a little bruised on Sun/Mon, but didn't really start to show until later this week...good times.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
dude..
i am PAYING for that crash on Livewire
crashed on Saturday, last run of the day.. rode strong all Sunday without any significant discomfort

pain started to set in on Monday, bruised ribs are no joke, today I can hardly breathe... ugh..

taking it easy for a bit.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
ouch! that's tough. Yeah, I thought I was doomed on several overshoots. Thats why I go with the Zoke 888...so far it's saved me from many o crashs/flat landings...

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I'm thinkin' of hitting SS up with y'all tomorrow, just wondering what time and where the rendezvous is. Also, HOW STRICT ARE THEY WITH THE BIKE RULES? I've got a Giant Reign with 6" fork, Evil SRS / 8 speed cassete, 2.6" tires. One buddy has a stock IH 7.5 with double crown, two rings + bash guard; and another has a Tazer. I just don't want to get caught at a bad time when the lift dudes are being real sticklers...

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I'm thinkin' of hitting SS up with y'all tomorrow, just wondering what time and where the rendezvous is. Also, HOW STRICT ARE THEY WITH THE BIKE RULES? I've got a Giant Reign with 6" fork, Evil SRS / 8 speed cassete, 2.6" tires. One buddy has a stock IH 7.5 with double crown, two rings + bash guard; and another has a Tazer. I just don't want to get caught at a bad time when the lift dudes are being real sticklers...
Meeting spot is in the shady parking lot at 9am. The giant and tazer should be fine, but the IH depends on the mood of the lift ops. Word on the street is that the ops haven't turned down a bike this season yet, but it may cost ya depending on how bitter they are tomm.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Talked to my LBS owner and he had an Izumi with an 888. They turned him down based on fork travel. So he went to the parking lot and ratchet strapped his fork down to 6". When they asked why the strap he said he'd ride it that way. They let him on. I dunno, I'm bringing both bikes just in case.

And yes, he took the strap off when he got up top ;)

Last edited:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
So 5 of us were up there today. My 44 pound Big Hit with a Super T was turned away, the only requirement it met was the 2.5 tires :brow:
I thought that might happen so I took the Enduro too, that met everything.

A couple guys had bikes that *may* have been too heavy and *may* have had forks too long but they were single crowns that didn't draw as much attention. The lifties don't drink so we had to grease some palms to keep them happy.

We watched more than a few people get turned away so they're definitely trying to step up the enforcement.

DHmike had some rear brake issues but other than that it was a good day and we all came out unscathed.

Alex, did you make it up? We didn't see you.

Jul 7, 2008
Wish i had gone on sunday. After two straight days of X out in the burning sun I used Sunday as a relaxation day.. lots of napping and PS3. Also, I did something to my front brake last week and it's not working at all so I may have an air bubble or a leak going on there. The good news is I should have almost a whole new bike by next weekend tho, replacing damn near everything. (brakes weren't on the list but they might be now) Anyways, I'm def riding next weekend.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
We watched more than a few people get turned away so they're definitely trying to step up the enforcement.
:rant::rant::rant:
i'm getting so f'ing tired of not having a legit local outlet to indulge my dh desires, i'm about ready to say "f-it" to this damn sport. the only thing you can ride in these parts without worrying about being "turned away" or busted by rangers, or fined by police is fire-road. 29 rigid single-speeder is looking more like a real option all the time.

Jul 7, 2008
sheeeeeeiiit... try motocross sometime!

moving from florida i thought socal would be the shiznit for riding mx... - FAIL -

however, my pedal-powered riding opportunities are vastly improved here.

i'm finding new places to ride pretty much every week, all within a short drive from my apartment.

lovin it

so far my favorites around here are "the spot" and caballero canyon

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
^^^i hear ya, it just is bummin' me out.

OT - i put a post in the DH forum about this, but i'll ask here too. anyone know a local machine shop where i could bum some time at the drill-press for a bit of time to put some holes in steel tubing? closer to hollywood or downtown is best, but i'll travel for a bro-deal (free-ninety-free???)
...and, yes, this is because i need to make a suspension rig for my hook-based freakshow antics (which has been taking my time away from riding). speaking of which, if anyone here has the interest (and the guts), you can see pics and vids of some of our fine piercing work on my myspace page (myspace.com/monsterthompson), including video of the show i was in two weeks ago in hollywood, where i pulled my boy off the ground via a rope&pulley system connected to our hooks. i'm currently working on plans to take hooks and get a bmx bike with clipless pedals to do some suspended wall-rides.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Them are some gnarly ass pics A. If I didnt know any better, it would seem as though you're some kind of satin worshipper or something.
yeah, i'm a nut job, but i'm not satinist... i'm not a satanist either. i just like hanging like a side of beef.

...oh, and for my next trick (well one of my next tricks) i'm clipping in to a bmx bike while suspended and busting tricks on the invisible half-pipe created by the arc of the rope. i'm also gonna try to wall ride it. thanks to OTE for offering to let me use his bmx.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Alex, did you make it up? We didn't see you.
Nah, seeing that it wasn't certain whether or not my bike would get rejected by the lifties and the buddies I was gonna carpool with being too busy, I went on a gay road ride instead :nopity:.

Yes unfortunately, and there was a parade full of Marines with big guns and Humvees going down Summit Blvd. on Sunday. We didn't want them to use us as target practice.
Awww c'mon Scott, you know that should anything happen, you would be protected by the edicts of the Geneva Convention! Were there really Jarheads on parade out there??? Man, I don't know what's real any more.

i'm getting so f'ing tired of not having a legit local outlet to indulge my dh desires, i'm about ready to say "f-it" to this damn sport. the only thing you can ride in these parts without worrying about being "turned away" or busted by rangers, or fined by police is fire-road. 29 rigid single-speeder is looking more like a real option all the time.
I'll pretend you didn't say that, Adam. Why not some S* shuttles on Wilson? Granted it's a lot of driving, but it's shady singletrack...

Last edited:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
dhmike and I hit SS today. Mike the liftie was in a notably good mood when we got there. However he turned into his normal self as the day went on. Trails were P-E-R-F-E-C-T when we got there, it had rained the night before pretty hard. The soil was perfectly tacky, the trails were so different it was insane.
Weather report said 30% chance of thunder storms in the afternoon.
We left just before 3 and had nothing more than a few drops. It was a great day :cheers:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I'm still working the kinks out. Got the air pressure dialed today but it still feels a bit oversprung with the 500# spring. Going to call Marz tomorrow and see about getting a 450 instead. Although its oversprung I can still tell it feels really good. TST seems to work great for climbing which is actually something I was really concerned about. I had to add a 1/8" spacer on the shaft to limit travel so it doesn't hit the frame but since the stroke is a little longer than the stock shock I'm still getting a full 6 inches and then some.
Geometry is awesome, bike feels so comfortable going down. This frame may actually take the title from the Saber as my favorite frame.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
What bike you gonna try to take up there??? They just about turned down DHMike's Socom today.[/QUOTE]

yeah not away to start your moring by getting sh*t from the lifties.