Quantcast

xc ride...... dh style. (Saturday 1/13)

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
they didn't turn down my socom because i lied to the lifties. i told them they checked my bike sunday and i was running 2.35 tires (actually i'm running 2.5 tires).

Jul 7, 2008
i'm new to the area and don;t know the rules for the lifts. what are the restrictions? tire sizes?

i ride a chase hardtail, 2.3 tires, 9-speed ...

why are certain bikes restricted from the lifts?

Jul 7, 2008
crap. i just read their site...

Any one of the following four factors will disqualify a bike from being transported on the chair:

1. Bikes must be less than 35 pounds. <- pretty sure i'm ok here
2. Designated tire size must be less than 2.5. <- check
3. Front shock must have less than 6 inches of travel. <- FAIL
4. Bikes must have three chain rings unless they are single speed. <- FAIL

I guess I won't be riding with you guys at SS tomorrow

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
i can't believe they wasted the time it took to make those signs, what a bunch of morons. "...keep this lift accessed sport alive..." What F'in sport are they talking about? They're worried about trail destruction by bicycles yet they'll allow marines to hike up and down the same trails. what a bunch of hyprocrites. there's no way i'd ride at SS without either built trails or the one's we've been riding. oh well, at least they care about the environment because we do so much destruction, i mean a 12 inch wide trail that was covered up by dead fall for 8 months is a huge impact on global warming.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
i can't believe they wasted the time it took to make those signs, what a bunch of morons. "...keep this lift accessed sport alive..." What F'in sport are they talking about? They're worried about trail destruction by bicycles yet they'll allow marines to hike up and down the same trails. what a bunch of hyprocrites. there's no way i'd ride at SS without either built trails or the one's we've been riding. oh well, at least they care about the environment because we do so much destruction, i mean a 12 inch wide trail that was covered up by dead fall for 8 months is a huge impact on global warming.
Word.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
For those who have not seen it yet

this + gas prices + other more rewarding hobbies = sale of bike

i love the sport, but i'm not willing to bear the cost it takes to be involved in it and live in socal. i just see my bike as a big money pit right now. the nicolai is awesome, but is it worth having it for the one whistler trip a year i get in? my goal was to hit mammoth and n* this year, and i haven't made either happen. :plthumbsdown:

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
North star next weekend????? I'm heading up Friday and home Sunday.... just an FYI
I may be up as well........

saw you guys at SS but you guys we're on a lunch break. It was fun...but these guys are on their way out...soooo behind the times. N* baby!

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
aw shucks, where are we going to bring the mob now. I'll check back in a minute and I'm sure somebody will be kind enough to suggest some other "disputed" trail we can all congregate at next Sunday @ 7:30 am.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
this + gas prices + other more rewarding hobbies = sale of bike

i love the sport, but i'm not willing to bear the cost it takes to be involved in it and live in socal. i just see my bike as a big money pit right now. the nicolai is awesome, but is it worth having it for the one whistler trip a year i get in? my goal was to hit mammoth and n* this year, and i haven't made either happen. :plthumbsdown:
My friend, that would be why I ride a Dirtbag.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Seriousness for a second, Everyone says SS is out of line for implementing rules on There mountain, but thats just it, its there mountain. Is it right what there doing? Thats not for anyone of us to say. We want a nice mountain, lets all get teh money together and start something. Then we can do whatever the hell we want. Am I sad that I cannot ride at bigbear the way I want to.... Yes. Is it the mountains Problem? .....No, thats what they want to do with there business, we as a people should respect that.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Seriousness for a second, Everyone says SS is out of line for implementing rules on There mountain, but thats just it, its there mountain. Is it right what there doing? Thats not for anyone of us to say. We want a nice mountain, lets all get teh money together and start something. Then we can do whatever the hell we want. Am I sad that I cannot ride at bigbear the way I want to.... Yes. Is it the mountains Problem? .....No, thats what they want to do with there business, we as a people should respect that.
The drag is..is that they cant see that all other parks across the usa are stepping up the MTB access. mabe they need to open the newspaper or turn on the TV. I guess are hopes for local mtn access is EC's place. It can't open soon enough! As far as off trails... I thought Pirates was an off trail but they had a race on it awhile back. I didn't see it on the brochure...so WTF?

Maybe SS makes so much money they don't need other avenues for revenue.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
they didn't turn down my socom because i lied to the lifties. i told them they checked my bike sunday and i was running 2.35 tires (actually i'm running 2.5 tires).
yeah, you're right, we should totally respect the mountains rules

anyhow, i think we should refer to manwithgun's post and take a step back. This isn't the first place that's being shut down because of too much exposure and discussion. it's just too bad that the powers to be seem to be so anti-mtb.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
SS makes a ****load of money in the winter season, they have no need whatsoever to let bikes on for money. Summetime, the lift barely pays for itself. All there profit is in the winter sports up there. I see the direction it is going, By next summer, people will still be sneaking there bikes on, making one run, and being done with it, or riding back up or so on.... and in the next few years, there will be no biking whatsoever at SS. Everywhere I talk to people I hear about how unfair it is that Snow summit is limiting bikes limiting tickets Blah Blah Blah. Its there property and business, if we dont like it, we are not required to spend the money to make something that fits to go ride there. I do know the real story as to what happened. If you want to know, talk to me in private, I would be happy to share.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I'll be up at Tahoe next week (19th-22nd) and looking to stay behind longer to ride at the Star that weekend. Holler if you're interested.

Aug 23, 2007
San Dimas
Snow Summit is a lost cause as it relates to DH. Even when they allowed DH on their property, trails were blown out and never maintained. Instead of riding the same 3 runs all day, others started riding the 'out of bounds' trails. The current owner doesn't care about the summer biking season since he makes the same amount in a day of winter skiing/boarding than the whole summer season combined. The only hope for DH at Summit is if IntraWest buys the property. They run Whistler, Snowshoe, minority owner of Mammoth, and a few other bike parks in Colorado. They know there is money to be made in the year round resort concept.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I do know the real story as to what happened. If you want to know, talk to me in private, I would be happy to share.
No offense to you, but I've been riding SS since 2000 and have heard about 10 different versions of the truth. yes, i understand that they make plenty of money in the winter and I also understand that they've been sued by injured riders, but so have a lot of other resorts that have bike parks.

There's more to it than just money and liability, i know that. Send me a PM, i'm interested in your version of the SS conspiracy. :cheers:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
This isn't the first place that's being shut down because of too much exposure and discussion.
i find it pretty funny that everyone started off the season saying
"don't talk about the fact they are letting the big bikes in violation of the limits on the lifts anyway"
and then ended up posting up all sorts of stories about it here in a thread with over 86,000 views (i know, it is a year and a half old). you don't have to be a rocket-surgeon to figure out that when there are no "DH" trails on the map and dozens of dudes are showing up with DH bikes and armour that there might be something fishy going on... hell you don't even have to be as smart as a liftie to do that math.

Jul 7, 2008
I can get to Mammoth on a tank, so I'm gunna say 3 tanks total :brows:... like $300.. split how every many ways... **** I'll go by myself, cuz it's worth it:banana:
How many days do you guys usually go up to Mammoth for? I'm figuring with the long drive you probably spend at least one night there, yeah? If so, do you camp or lodge somewhere? I might be down for a rideshare situ-mization. Never been to Mammoth. Would a hardtail be okay there?

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I can get to Mammoth on a tank, so I'm gunna say 3 tanks total :brows:... like $300.. split how every many ways... **** I'll go by myself, cuz it's worth it:banana:
Dude. Once three other people head up, me and my buddy will be down. Don't the Rydezilla guys still do Mammoth all the time?

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Seriously, If you're going 6 hours to Mammoth you might aswell go 2 more and do N*. Its sooooooo much better. I would never waste my time on Mammoth if I had the option for N*. N * will make you a better rider, Mammoth is marginal at best, IMO.

Covenasty

Chimp
Mar 10, 2005
Altadena
Seriously, If you're going 6 hours to Mammoth you might aswell go 2 more and do N*. Its sooooooo much better. I would never waste my time on Mammoth if I had the option for N*. N * will make you a better rider, Mammoth is marginal at best, IMO.
we r going to N*, i was just using Mammoth as a gas refference.... You down for this weekend???

Covenasty

Chimp
Mar 10, 2005
Altadena
Dude. Once three other people head up, me and my buddy will be down. Don't the Rydezilla guys still do Mammoth all the time?
Rydezilla is dead... the dude that ran it just had a baby so the site is back burner right now. We do mammoth and tahoe twice a year... this will be the second N* trip and probably hit Mammoth closing weekend.... but it seems like the truck may be full....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
No offense to you, but I've been riding SS since 2000 and have heard about 10 different versions of the truth. yes, i understand that they make plenty of money in the winter and I also understand that they've been sued by injured riders, but so have a lot of other resorts that have bike parks.

There's more to it than just money and liability, i know that. Send me a PM, i'm interested in your version of the SS conspiracy. :cheers:
None taken, The owners wife goes to the same gym as I do, I have talked to her about it a few times.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
we r going to N*, i was just using Mammoth as a gas refference.... You down for this weekend???
I knew you Incycle guys were real men! As it turns out I'll be going up the weekend of the 23rd instead...kid issues....

Have fun and I know you'll be killing Live wire!

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
Edgy.. when are you leaving/coming back?
Depending on time, i could go with.

I knew you Incycle guys were real men! As it turns out I'll be going up the weekend of the 23rd instead...kid issues....

Have fun and I know you'll be killing Live wire!

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Edgy.. when are you leaving/coming back?
Depending on time, i could go with.
I'm getting jacked at work so I may have to leave on Fri nite the 22nd and either come home Sun eve or If I can pull it off perhaps ride half day Monday.

What can you do?

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Ooooh that does hurt.....but If I was you I'd be careful...didn't your bike not make it there for a few days a couple years back and then there was that bug bite......:rimshot:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
yup, the bike missed the plane transfer and then i got put on "bed rest" by the doc orders for a Canadian Black Fly bite in the arm (through my armour) out of concern for possible infection, which caused me to miss the heli-drop on Rainbow Mountain. yeah, that was a good trip :(

i've got about a 50/50 ratio of hospital trips per Whistler trip -
2002 - broken fork = broken face and dislocated shoulder
2003 - Joyride steep + tree = compression fracture of T3 vertebrae
2004 - Just scrapes and bruises = No Hospital!!!
2005 - lost bikes on the plane for me at OTE, then Black Fly bite resulting in massive swelling and risk of infection
2006 - Didn't go, stayed healthy (though, that may have been the summer after I dislocated my shoulder her in SoCal)
2007 - No issues
2008 - This year = anyone's guess. Place your bets kids.