Quantcast

XC shorts

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
def find a brand of chamois that fits you well. i personally prefer ride shorts that don't have the cham permanently attached. surprisingly oakley makes a decent cham.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wear cargo shorts and I don't even cargo. Anyone can buy them, they don't even check at the register.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Find a good pair of lycra shorts and put whatever the f**k shorts over them you want. This is the way to go.
I'm starting to agree with you. For whatever reason, most bike companies haven't grasped american sizing standards. While I wear a large in virtually everything, I have to get at least an XL in my Castelli bibs/shorts, and my Nema and Endura size L shorts are way too small. I ended up splitting the thighs of the liners so my legs would fit. My enduras ride down on me though, so it looks like I wasted whatever I spent on them. I just bought some foxes, sized up just a tad, and while the shorts fit perfect, the liner is absolute garbage. I don't know if it's too big or if it just blows, but I'm tempted to cut it out and ride the castellis underneath.

I think from now on, I'm just going to stock up on chamois shorts and riding shorts seperately.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have a pair of Dickies and high end bibs and now that is getting colder they should be fine but when its muddy or really warm I am not a big fan. I am just not a big fan of bibs and Dickies as bibs are too slippery and they make the shorts move around too much. Also the Dickies are really wider in the legs than what I really want. Anyway price is not a big deal as a good pair of shorts should last a very long time.

I have a liner short with a small chamois that I think I got cheap from Performance a several years ago that have been good. I would not ride road in them by for XC where you are not sitting down all the time its perfect.

One thing I do not understand is cargo XC shorts. Who could pedal with anything in the cargo pockets. Or is it only for the cafe segment maybe.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I wear JUST bib shorts and nothing else. Complete with "peek a boo" nipple cutouts to prevent chafing.
Everyone gets out of my way when I wear this, and no one tries to start a conversation with me either
at the trail head. Win. Plus, I am already dressed for the occasion if I want to take up Olympic weightlifting.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
One thing I do not understand is cargo XC shorts. Who could pedal with anything in the cargo pockets. Or is it only for the cafe segment maybe.
I use them specifically for my car keys and cell phone on my way from the bedroom/getting dressed to my camelbak, where they reside.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I wear JUST bib shorts and nothing else. Complete with "peek a boo" nipple cutouts to prevent chafing.
Everyone gets out of my way when I wear this, and no one tries to start a conversation with me either
at the trail head. Win. Plus, I am already dressed for the occasion if I want to take up Olympic weightlifting.
Any pictures this sounds like a winning setup?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Find a good pair of lycra shorts and put whatever the f**k shorts over them you want. This is the way to go.
I guess I've never felt the need to wear anything under. When I raced DH I wore my soccer hip pad shorts under my moto shorts. But for trails, my boxer briefs do the job they were designed to do, so what else is needed? My WTB seat fits well.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Rode the Dickies today and they worked out okay but not ideal. They are too warm and too stiff I and just don't move that well when you shift position on the bike.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have some Enduras, but they are weirdly sized. I think they will last for years though. I do like old BDU pants that have been hemmed or burned to prevent fraying, with lycra underneath. Fox Sergeants are nice too...if you can catch a sale on them.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Troy Lee Ace Shorts

* Contact our fellow Asian friend ;) for details, some very good price$ right now.
I bought some TLD shorts, skyline I believe. Direct from TLD. They ripped along the seem on the very first ride.

Multiple attempts at contact customer service through telephone and email have fallen on deaf ears. Kinda sucks, I liked the shorts.

I wish TLD Customer service wasn't sucking in my case.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Buy something that breathes well and fits, and cut out the chamois and put it in the trash.
Buy a pair of Pearl Izumi or other high end liners. You will get a way better short combo and it allows you to have a fresh chamois everyday on multiday trips w/o carrying several pairs of shorts.
Once you find a brand, stick with it. It's amazing what you get used to.