Quantcast

xc tires

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so it's been a while since i really bought a set of xc tires. i was a big fan of the geax blades, but has anything new come out which is good? i've been on DH tires too long (does the high roller come in xc versions?).

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Mobsters and high rollers in the 2.1 size are great xc treads. Ran 'em past 2 seasons. Currently on Mich. Hot S 2.2 and it's taking me a while to ge tused to a more round profile tire.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have tried a lot of XC tires but always seem to fall back on my Panaracer Fire XC Pros. My favorites are the Maxxis Minion Slow Reezays, but damn those are slow tires.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
what kind of terrain?

Larson TTs are badass for hardpack, dry stuff.

WTB Motoraptors suck in general, in my opinion.

Geax Beaumonts are good, but seem to wear out fast.

the High Roller 2.5 i have (i ride rigid) tracks really well, and turns like it's on rails. i'm wanting to try a narrower version, but don't see any reason to buy tires right now.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Continental Explorer Pro, accept no substitutes... especially in the corners.

If you need something a little more beefy then go with the Vertical pro... basically a wider, heavier version of the Explorer, same exact tread though.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
what bike will the xc tires be going on Tim? Seems like a lot of New Englanders dig the Panaracers.

what width are you looking for - something like a 2.1?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
new england stuff. rooty, rocky, some gunk. not too much hardpack, really. maybe i'll stick w/ the blades for now, alhtough i did like how the high roller worked on my DH bike. the michies were good too, for that matter.

J

JRB

I really have been liking some IRC Trailbears. Running them tubeless didn't go so well so I am on Vertical pros now. I like Kenda Blue Grooves really well. They are nice and fast and plenty sticky. They are my favorite, but I tore the sidewalls a ton.