Quantcast

XC/Training bike tires advice

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Ive been using my trailbike mostly for fooling around the forrests for the last couple of years but now I want to make some fitness training and actually get somewhere so using 2.1 inch panaracer fire tires gets a bit annoying.

What tires for hard off road and road would you advice? I know schwable table tops work nice on my dj bike but they are a bit big. Larsens?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Maxxis Crossmark would be great for what you describe. Great on hardpack. Not-so-great in the mud.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The closer to 2.0 the better imho. My trailbike is a light trailbike, not a fr new school uber dh thing. Im thinking about the crossmarks but isnt the thread worse at rolling that lets say a larsen, worm drive or something from schwable or geax?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
SBE is a popular dirt tire here. I will think about it. Im also thinking about geax aka or going back to larsens tt.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i love my small block eights. lots of street miles on them with pretty minimal wear for a "dirt" tire. i think they come in a 1.9 too? either way, light, good tread with lots of grip but still rolls fast. they are ok in the mud as long as its patchy and not constant (even then, they have surprised me).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so wait, you're using your trailbike on-road with occasional hardpack offroad duty?

Why not a semi slick of whatever variety? I never minded my IRC mythos or whatever they were until it got slick or particularly rocky....they even served commuter duty for a while.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I REALLY think that the crossmark is the tyre you are after. It is by far and away the best compromise tyre I have ridden, I can easily do 9 months of the year on them and only swap out for winter. I have mates who run them all year - but they are better bike handlers than me. A wire bead set performs just as well as the other casings so they are cheap to try.

Either that or give up the dirt and fit some specialized fat boys and go chase roadies!

Last edited:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
aspen in the front crossmark in the rear.

the aspen rails corners, the crossmark likes to slide a little going from center tread to side tread i personally would not run up front

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Specialized Renegades would work quite well... Ive been running them on my hardtail and they've been excellent for anything but serious mudding.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
Ive been using my trailbike mostly for fooling around the forrests for the last couple of years but now I want to make some fitness training and actually get somewhere so using 2.1 inch panaracer fire tires gets a bit annoying.

What tires for hard off road and road would you advice? I know schwable table tops work nice on my dj bike but they are a bit big. Larsens?
larsens are what i have been using for a couple years now...they're the best tires i've used for xc. they roll so good it feels like your bike is being propelled along. and they grip like crazy too!