Quantcast

XCX Seat Tube Mount Prototype

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
November 16, 2009 – e*thirteen has gotten a very positive response from last weeks release of the new XCX (“X-Country & Cyclo-X”) bottom bracket mount chainguide. The new XCX began shipping out to distributors over a week ago.

With the introduction of the 10 speed cassette for off-road use many riders and racers have come to appreciate the advantages of the simpler 1x10 drivetrain setup on XC bikes. The XCX guide also helps improve upon the already held 1x10 Cyclo-Cross tradition.

There has also been a lot of interest in a seat tube mount version of the XCX for use with the new BB30 bottom bracket standard. In early September e*thirteen received a call from the Team Orbea mechanic, Julien Brugeas. It seemed that the XCX had caught the eye of Orbea Cross Country rider Julien Absalon, e*thirteen immediately went to work and made a 100% CNC prototype XCX seat tube mount for Julien Absalon’s XC World Championship race bike. The seat tube mounted XCX features a very stout design and trick adjustable cam mechanism for fine tuning the chainline.

The Seat Tube mount version of the XCX is currently a working prototype. It may make production in 2010 or it may not, but either way we thought that we would share:

Julien Absalon at XC Worlds, on the way to the podium:

Current BB mount XCX:
http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx.html

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was actually running 1x9 setup on my xc bike, but I switched back to a double b/c I kept dropping chains. Looks like I might be able to go back to 1x9 now! I'm not too keen on the bb mount style, so if you want some feedback on the seattube design, hook a brotha up! :brows:

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I was actually running 1x9 setup on my xc bike, but I switched back to a double b/c I kept dropping chains. Looks like I might be able to go back to 1x9 now! I'm not too keen on the bb mount style, so if you want some feedback on the seattube design, hook a brotha up! :brows:
I'm in the same boat as you (1X9), but decided to run a 32 Special instead and love it. I don't think I could go without a bash ring, personally. Looks interesting, though.

Didn't Paul Components come out with something similar recently?

http://www.paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
I really really need this to go into production, as I race a Cannondale Taurine and don't really have any other options since my frame is both carbon and bb30

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
looks nice. Looks like its's set a fixed distance from the seat tube - am I seeing that correctly? If so, is this distance typically the same on xc bikes?

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
looks nice. Looks like its's set a fixed distance from the seat tube - am I seeing that correctly? If so, is this distance typically the same on xc bikes?
There is a simple cam mechanism that allows to adjust the distance. Instead of adding another bolt or other interface to break, all adjustment and clamping is done with the two bolts around the seattube. There is no twisting, no additional little shims.

Simpler = Better. :D

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I absolutely need as many of these as I can get my hands on. All of our XC racers run single rings, as do all of our CX racers.

The 'cross potential for things is huge.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Along the lines of this and the XCX, I ran just the upper backplate and guide (without the "taco" and lower idler pulley) from an LG1+. I ran this bolted to the ISCG tabs on my 1x9 (32T) bike for most of this season without any trouble. No dropped chains. It was a slick set-up for me!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Along the lines of this and the XCX, I ran just the upper backplate and guide (without the "taco" and lower idler pulley) from an LG1+. I ran this bolted to the ISCG tabs on my 1x9 (32T) bike for most of this season without any trouble. No dropped chains. It was a slick set-up for me!
The number of riders using full blown LG1+'s (with taco) for XC is incredible! We've gotten tons of correspondence about this from 1X9ers and 1X10ers. At sub 170g, why not..

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
When will these show up on QBP? I never get out of the middle ring on my 29er so I'm going to try a 1x9 over the winter. Will the colored guiderings also be available through QBP?

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
When will these show up on QBP? I never get out of the middle ring on my 29er so I'm going to try a 1x9 over the winter. Will the colored guiderings also be available through QBP?
The prototype is still just that, a one-off prototype. It may make production eventually, or it may not.

The black, red and gold chainrings are being shipped out first (next week or two), and the wacky colors will be following after that. I don't know offhand when QBP is ordering them, but I know BTI is amped up about stocking color options. :D We've been going nuts all week shipping out another secret project... (press release pending)

If you're interested, give them a call and they can give a more definite answer.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

m-dub

Chimp
Aug 10, 2006
Be the first out of gate and offer a bolt on style for bikes like the BLT carbon with bolt on der. Not sure yo uwould sell too many though. I do see the bolt on version being a viabale option.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Be the first out of gate and offer a bolt on style for bikes like the BLT carbon with bolt on der. Not sure yo uwould sell too many though. I do see the bolt on version being a viabale option.
The Shimano direct mount FD standard would be awesome to see more of in the future. If the standard keeps its current momentum up there might be a possibility of this happening. (It would make setup ridiculously simple) :D

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
What's the best way to get QBP to start carrying the XCX; having E13 contact them, or contact them as a dealer with product interest? My shop doesn't have a BTI account, and I was hoping to avoid the minimum order price since I only need one guide. It seems foolish for QBP to not stock this guide.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How's it work, just an off center shim in the middle of the clamp that you rotate to set how far the guide sticks out?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
These things work well.

I am pretty sure that shops can buy directly from E.13. Is that not true, gentlemen from Leominster?
Look at that bad mamma jamma! Typically we encourage using our distributors but if a shop or rider is in a pinch we'll always help them out by selling direct. Whatever we can do to help.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Is this thing for sale then? Anyone have them in Canada?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Thanks for sorting me out Phil. The guide worked awesome on its first ride today. Top-notch service from E13 as usual, to be expected :thumb:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Sparky that frame doesn't fit as well as it should, you need a size 545 Spooky Supertouch. Send me some cool stuff and I'll send you one.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I watched people mess with N-stops for a couple years. I concluded, thru their extensive misfortune, that the things pretty much suck. It's entirely possible that our singletrack was too rough and they were asking too much in the name of weight savings, but I never saw a successful combination stem from the dozen riders that experimented with them. I always used the LG1, and would have no problem returning to it had I not found I didn't need the bashguard. For someone who wanted that feature, I'd opt for the additional lower pulley and worry free performance of the LG1 over various bash/jump stop combinations; but that's just me.