Quantcast

XEN or ANIMAS????

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
OK, time for a new helmet, I am looking at the Giro Xen and the Animas and am wondering what your opinions are?
They are both '03's on close out...... The Xen is the puke gold color (not a bad thing, I don't mind ugly colors) and the Animas is white, the Animas is also $30 cheaper.

What should I get, which vents better??? Is the Xen hot being that more of the back of your head is covered?? etc. etc.?

Thanks for the assistance ;)

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I definately recommend the xen. I have liked mine a ton, it fits well and doesn't move much, although I assume the animas would too. I just like xens a lot. The whiskey color isn't bad, I checked it out in a bike shop the other day. The xen is no hotter than an e2 that I had before.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I have the Xen. It is hotter than something like the E2 because it comes further down on your head. Mine rest right above my eyebrows. Now that I have had a little time to get used to it, it doesn't bother me as much. The one annoying thing to me is that is seems to funnel the sweat to right above my eye.

Also a little harder to attach a helmet light to the top than my E2 since there is one less row of vents.

It is one of the best fitting helmets I have ever owned.

Supergo had the black ones. Don't know if they still do.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Wumpus said:
I have the Xen. The one annoying thing to me is that is seems to funnel the sweat to right above my eye.

It is one of the best fitting helmets I have ever owned.
Hmm, the sweat thing doesn't sound good, but I have tried one on and they fit so damn good. Anybody have experience with the Animas??? I have read that it vents really well but I'd like to hear the opinions of a few monkeys. :dancing:

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
zod said:
Hmm, the sweat thing doesn't sound good, but I have tried one on and they fit so damn good. Anybody have experience with the Animas??? I have read that it vents really well but I'd like to hear the opinions of a few monkeys. :dancing:
haha yeah the sweat definately ends up above your eyes, but it doesn't drip. If you ride for an hour in the summer and press on the helmet by your forehead a huge stream of sweat comes drippin on out. They do fit sooo nice though.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Echo said:
I've been drooling on the Xen for a while now. But I haven't seen one in person...
Sure you have. I wore mine at Dalton. :)

I have the gold '03 closeout Xen. I like it and really don't give a crap about the color. It's a comfortable helmet.

Me and my helmet:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I Are Baboon said:

I have the gold '03 closeout Xen. I like it and really don't give a crap about the color. It's a comfortable helmet.

Me and my helmet:

Try not to break that one at this year's Monkeyfest!! :wink:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
zod said:
OK, time for a new helmet, I am looking at the Giro Xen and the Animas and am wondering what your opinions are?
They are both '03's on close out...... The Xen is the puke gold color (not a bad thing, I don't mind ugly colors) and the Animas is white, the Animas is also $30 cheaper.

What should I get, which vents better??? Is the Xen hot being that more of the back of your head is covered?? etc. etc.?

Thanks for the assistance ;)
Xen.

I have a pimpin gold one, most comfortable helmet... light, low profile (non alien head) shape... its tha shiznit.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I Are Baboon said:

Me and my helmet:

Ah crap! I wish I had realized it, so I could have checked it out up close! :mumble:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Which one fits your head best? For me, helmets are like shoes. If they don't fit right, all the rave reviews in the world won't make them feel better.

Just by looking at the two, I would go with the Animas just because it appears to have more ventilation. But if I tried both on and the Xen was more comfortable, then Xen would be my choice.

Have you tried them both on?

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Tried them both on yesterday.....both fit well.

I like the Xen for the protection, but the Animas looked like it'd keep your head cooler which is something to consider in the deep South. dammit, tuff decisions suck.

Of course I am going from wearing a 3 year old Bell Ukon so either of these helmets is going to feel sooo much nicer than that low budget lid. :p

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
zod said:
I like the Xen for the protection, but the Animas looked like it'd keep your head cooler which is something to consider in the deep South. dammit, tuff decisions suck.
I don't notice much difference in cooling. You're not going to have much of the cooling affect when mountain biking anyway. It doesn't get much hotter than Texas in the summer.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
zod said:
Tried them both on yesterday.....both fit well.

Of course I am going from wearing a 3 year old Bell Ukon so either of these helmets is going to feel sooo much nicer than that low budget lid. :p
I HATE it when I get that overheated feeling, so I'd probably go with the Animas.

I just switched from a 9...that's right...9 year old Specialized Mountain Man to a Bell Influx and I can soooo tell the cooling difference.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
zod said:
Excellent feedback on the Xen. Any comments on the Animas helmet people?????

My cheapy $30 helment vents better than my Animas. Although, its not bad but it defitinely could be better. For the price, I would have expected much better. I'm almost at the point where I want two helmets- one for summer (maybe an E2) and one for winter (the Animas). :rolleyes:

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
I got the Animas, it was only $49 and I figure if the 03' Xen is still around come fall I'll grab one even cheaper. In the end I'm just too much of a tightwad to spend $80 on a helmet ;)