Quantcast

XenForo transition complete: post here with issues

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So....trying it out on Chrome at home, and already 75% of what I was griping about is resolved....LOTS of buttons present that were previously showing as empty boxes....hence my frustration and the "difficulty navigating."

Also, not sure exactly what it is, but the formatting itself seems a lot better; easier to read, follow the order of things, buttons/tabs in order, etc. Maybe it was the blank boxes themselves screwing everything up in IE?!
Can you give me an example of one so that I can figure out why they were showing empty?
I left my work laptop at home, so I'll have to check tomorrow. I can't think of what specifically they were, which is strange given how absurdly difficult it is to navigate without them. I don't quite realize exactly what's different, but I know I have no issues moving around now.

because internet exploder

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm happy to report that I use IE as my default browser (at home AND work :imstupid:) and have no issues at all.

Though, I'm also not using a version that expired in the 19th century.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You now have to click "More Options" and then "Preview" to see what a post looks like prior to actually posting. Can the "Preview" button be added next to the current 3 buttons?

That appears to be how it's setup in the classifieds.
Upon further investigation, adding this button will cause the mobile skin to wrap strangely. I could probably change the template framework to accommodate it, but that will mean if I want to maintain clean upgrades, I'll have to revert the framework, upgrade, and re-apply changes.

vBulletin was the same way - quick reply didn't have a preview button, you had to go to the advanced editor first. So I think I'm going to move this one to closed unless there are strong objections.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Exactly. The old site had the option of showing post in reverse order that you don't have to scroll through pages of stuff you've already seen.
This is not possible in the current software. Sorry. Going to close this issue out for the time being.

However, "unread" posts are now stored in the database, not locally on your machine. So "jump to first unread" should be much more reliable.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
This is not possible in the current software. Sorry. Going to close this issue out for the time being.

However, "unread" posts are now stored in the database, not locally on your machine. So "jump to first unread" should be much more reliable.
Boooooourns!

It just takes a lot longer to load on my phone now with the new software trying to find the unread posts or jump to first unread. It was quick and easy to just see most recent posts when they loaded first (with the reverse order).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Boooooourns!

It just takes a lot longer to load on my phone now with the new software trying to find the unread posts or jump to first unread. It was quick and easy to just see most recent posts when they loaded first (with the reverse order).
Gotcha. Speed is on the list to continue improving, so hopefully if we can get the page load speed up, it'll be less of a concern.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If I type the image tags in the quick reply box, I always get an internal server error. Only works if I click the insert image button about the quick reply box and paste the url there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Weird, I can't replicate that at all. If you type lowercase img tags, it happens every time or just sometimes?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It happens when I type the image tags and paste a link within them.

If I type literally
Code:
[img]http://hello.com/image.jpg[/img]
, it will work.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ahh.. I think the image thing is because the WYSIWYG editor tries to be smart and it converts your link to a real link when you paste it in (hence what you see is what you get). If you prefer to type in BB code yourself, you can switch to the BB code editor (the little wrench in front of the piece of paper), or permanently switch it in your preferences.

DaveW, I assume that has something to do with the sticky nav... PM incoming.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I miss the Forum post indicators on the home page, meaning; when you went to the home page before, it would show current threads and indicate which forum they were in. In that case, even if I didn't want to see that particular thread I could click on the forum that I wanted (ie. Downhill or Lounge) without having to pull down the forum tab and scroll down. That is of course assuming there was an active thread on the homepage in one of those forums..which happened more often than not. I don't like not knowing which forum the home page threads are in.

Also, as I think previously mentioned, when you looked at the active thread listing from left to right it would list the title , date and then the persons name who made the last post. the nice thing was there was an arrow below that persons name that would allow you to click on that and it would take you to that posting, which would be the last post made in that thread. That was great, it was a quick way to jump from the home page to the most recent post without having to log in and it prevented having to click the thread and scroll through.

Hope this makes sense.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Apparently you can click on the time of the post and jump directly to the last post which addresses part of the second point I brought up^

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've added a to-do item to get forum indicators on the new posts widget. That would also be useful for the Classifieds new posts widget.

FYI, you can use the "New Posts" function until I get the other thing resolved:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/find-new/posts

That has the forum indicators you're looking for.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Canning one's own avatar to the left of the Quick Reply box would make sense and visually free up the box/fix that wrapping WYSIWYG issue. No need for that shit.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Canning one's own avatar to the left of the Quick Reply box would make sense and visually free up the box/fix that wrapping WYSIWYG issue. No need for that ****.
It's already done in one of my test styles, just haven't rolled it out yet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Transparent animated gifs, like my re-uploaded avatar, seem to be borked

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'll look into it but I only have so much control over the image processing library.

I'm testing this out on the test server... changing the post controls into icons, which makes them more thumb-able on mobile and is reducing clutter on the page. Obviously as a mod I see more controls than you guys but what do you think - like/no like?

controls_as_icons.jpg

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Just added an album in the media section. Postet the pictures in the random picture thread and got the reply that the files are private.
How do I change that?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just added an album in the media section. Postet the pictures in the random picture thread and got the reply that the files are private.
How do I change that?
The album was set to private... not sure why. I've changed it so it's public, and am reviewing the gallery settings now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ah... when you created the album, the default option is to only allow the album owner to see anything. I'll see if I can change that default, but that's the reason why nobody else could view it.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
How do I change that?
The album was set to private... not sure why. I've changed it so it's public, and am reviewing the gallery settings now.
Since Monarch posted those seven pictures the "media" tab at the top of the page shows a small superscript "7", which hasn't gone away after viewing the media page, looking through pics, etc.

Obviously nothing critical, but probably not supposed to work that way?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Since Monarch posted those seven pictures the "media" tab at the top of the page shows a small superscript "7", which hasn't gone away after viewing the media page, looking through pics, etc.

Obviously nothing critical, but probably not supposed to work that way?
It's indicating that there are unviewed media items. You can hit the "mark viewed" button - I'm assuming you haven't individually clicked on every picture?

I'll poke around at that - I actually didn't even realize that unread feature was enabled until Monarch uploaded those photos.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not sure if its covered before but its much more work to change the URL. I could switch before between forums just by changing number at the end of the URL but not anymore with the new URL setup. Wish we could go back to that?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Not sure if its covered before but its much more work to change the URL. I could switch before between forums just by changing number at the end of the URL but not anymore with the new URL setup. Wish we could go back to that?
This is kind of a funny use case considering it probably would be faster to use the quick navigation icon at the top and the bottom of each page... the little octopus-looking icon:
quick_nav.jpg

BUT, XenForo accepts the raw number of just about anything put straight into the URL and basically ignores most of the rest. The text is there for the benefit of search engines or anyone reading the URL.

So:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/downhill-freeride.19/
is the same as
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/19
and in fact is the same as
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/coolest-site-ever.19/

So go ahead and change that number as a way of jumping forums, if it makes you happy. You don't have to change the text that's there (i.e. /forums/downhill-freeride.2/ will bring you to the Lounge).

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Perfect works. I like to use it so I don't have to use the mouse or trackpad. Alt + D, and then the number get you between forums very quickly. I guess a little old school but its fast.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
posting hotkeys? alt+s doesn't work anymore
I was reviewing the open issues list... XF doesn't have the hotkeys that vB had, but when you're in the edit box, hitting tab (to jump out of the edit box) and spacebar (to activate reply) does the same thing.